Visiting DC tomorrow...armed?

This is a discussion on Visiting DC tomorrow...armed? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been talked in to visiting DC by my Dad, something that I've resisted for many years. He must have caught me in a weak ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visiting DC tomorrow...armed?

Question Visiting DC tomorrow...armed?

I've been talked in to visiting DC by my Dad, something that I've resisted for many years. He must have caught me in a weak moment.

I am licensed to carry concealed in the Great State of Alabama, and all of the states that currently have a reciprocal agreement with Alabama.

Does anybody have a clue as to what the current status is in regards to my rights to carry in DC?

I wouldn't mind being a gineau pig for a test case, but I really don't need to be convicted of a felony firearms offense due to future employability issues. Could wind up being very expensive for me due to the automatic loss of clearance.

2. Remove Ads

It wont be a test case - you have absolutely zero permission to be armed in DC.

There is no reciprocity from DC to anywhere, so unless you have a DC CCW you are out of luck.

Other than LEOSA carry, I can't think of any legal way for a non DC-LEO to carry on the streets ... and even then I'd have concerns regarding their hardware restrictions (though I might be able to get away with the PF-9 since no hi-caps exist for it).

Nick

I figured as much.

So the Second Amendment is still being pretty seriously abridged (IMHO). Guess that there's still work to do.

VIP Member
    Yes, after the DC v. Heller decision, there is still much work to be done. I'm not certain that the courts are "the least dangerous branch" like some of the Founding Fathers branded them, but they usually (...often?...sometimes?) do not go beyond the confines of the case brought before them. DC v. Heller was about a certain set of facts in the DC jurisdiction only; and, while I think there is much in the opinion that lays the groundwork for many other things with which many on this forum will agree and support, this particular case only resolved that DC residents cannot be denied the right to have an operable firearm in their residence to defend themselves against attack in their residence (because that was all for which Heller asked). I wish there had been more, but there it is.

Don't drop your membership in your favorite(s) pro-Second-Amendment organization just yet....

"Small moves, Sparks. Small moves."--David Morse, as Jodie Foster's dad in Contact
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nikdfish View Post
    Other than LEOSA carry, I can't think of any legal way for a non DC-LEO to carry on the streets ... and even then I'd have concerns regarding their hardware restrictions (though I might be able to get away with the PF-9 since no hi-caps exist for it).

Nick
    If you are a Senator's aide and he claims the gun is his you may be ok.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member
    Although guns are no longer banned in DC, CC is not legal. CC has nothing to do with the Heller decision, only the ability to own one legally. Get caught with one and I assure you that your stay will be longer and much more costly than you anticipated!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

this test tube will land you in the clink
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

No. Do not carry in D.C.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

You cannot legally be armed in DC, period! It is still open season on visitors, and will continue like that for a long time.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    No. Do not carry in D.C.
    That's why I only visit DC when it comes on TV.
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RCGII View Post
    I've been talked in to visiting DC by my Dad, something that I've resisted for many years. He must have caught me in a weak moment.

I am licensed to carry concealed in the Great State of Alabama, and all of the states that currently have a reciprocal agreement with Alabama.

Does anybody have a clue as to what the current status is in regards to my rights to carry in DC?
    None at all. Get caught with a firearm in DC, and you'll get locked up.

Quote Originally Posted by RCGII View Post
    I wouldn't mind being a gineau pig for a test case, but I really don't need to be convicted of a felony firearms offense due to future employability issues. Could wind up being very expensive for me due to the automatic loss of clearance.
    Your Alabama CCW means nothing in DC. Carrying a gun there -> felony charges -> prison.

Don't do it. There's nothing to test to be a "test case".

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Just for your info. Knives have to be three inches. All of the government buildings have metal dectors. This includes musems. I was refused acess but the guard was nice enough to let me leave, me being a old vet from out of state.

Semper Fi

Stay In Va,leave Guns In Hotel Room (locked Up) Or In Car.
    Take Metro Into DC.
    Driving In DC Is A Pain In The butt Anyway.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

1943 - 2009
    I'm absolutely amazed that this question was actually asked in the first place. Anybody who doesn't know that Washington DC is a gun-free zone must have been living on another planet for the last 40 years. ---->

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links