Wash D.C. can't find guns!!

This is a discussion on Wash D.C. can't find guns!! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Police on the lookout for missing registered guns Police on the lookout for 36K registered handguns As the District prepares to begin accepting applications for ...

Thread: Wash D.C. can't find guns!!

Wash D.C. can't find guns!!

Police on the lookout for missing registered guns

Police on the lookout for 36K registered handguns

As the District prepares to begin accepting applications for handgun permits, police are having a tough time finding tens of thousands of guns already registered in the city.

About 41,000 handguns are registered in D.C., but more than 36,000 of those guns are owned by residents who registered prior to the 1976 ban.

On WTOP's Ask the Chief program, D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier says police don't know where the 36,000 registered handguns are because the department has not done an audit of registered guns.

"A lot of these were registered pre-gun ban law, pre-1976, and even though those who registered back then were required to let us know if they moved or no longer have possesion of the handgun, whether they did or not we don't know. We believe that a lot of people did not."

Lanier says the main reason police have not done an audit is a lack of technology.

"Automation will make that a lot easier. It's all paper documents. We're working right now to automate all the information we have. It's hard to audit paper records."

D.C. Councilmember Phil Mendelson (D-At-Large), who chairs the committee that oversees the police, is concerned about how this will impact the department's ability to implement the new handgun regulations.

"It is unfortunate that this problem of how we have handled registration in the past is going to complicate the effort to start up new registrations. Clearly the government is going to have to get ahead of the game if we're going to do this right."

Lanier says about 1,100 of the handguns are registered to off-duty D.C. Police officers who live in the city, 163 belong to retired D.C. Police, 150 are registered to law enforcement officers who live in D.C. but do not work for the Metropolitan Police Department and about 2,800 belong to security companies.

<break> <break>

It's not about guns...it's about control (where did I read that, again?)

Why don't they just dump the whole registration thing, since they can't do it right, it doesn't prevent/deter/protect anything, it costs a -full of money, and it stomps on people's freedoms.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    On WTOP's Ask the Chief program, D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier says police don't know where the 36,000 registered handguns are because the department has not done an audit of registered guns.
    Maybe Mayor Bloomberg's NYPD knows where some of them are?

This is typical of what I would expect from the DC government. Have a system in place which others must follow under threat of criminal charges if they do not, but DC cannot be competent enough to administer the system. What a mess, and not surprising. Seth Carus (IIRC) said in the 1980s that the Iraqi Army (of that time) made the Egyptians look like Prussians. I'm beginning to think that the DC Police administration makes the Keystone Cops look like an elite SWAT team.
    Last edited by falcon1; July 7th, 2008 at 08:53 PM.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Uh, who cares where they are ?

Does DCPD have a reason to go knocking on 36000 doors to find some old wheelguns ?

I think there is one at Carl Rowan's house!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

What a bunch of Bozos!!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

I don't like the idea that this pro-registration movement is getting so much attention and little opposition. Law abiding citizens should not have to register their guns. Criminals are protected from registering their illegally owned guns under the 5th amendment. As well, tax money should not be wasted in an attemp to register guns as it can ultimately have absolutley no effect on crime. Just ask the Canadians how it worked for them.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Can someone tell me just one good reason for gun registration. If criminals don't obey the law in the first place then what good is this registration. Is this so hard to understand or is this whole thing about being in control of people.
    NRA Member

I don't like the idea of registration either, but it was Heller who piped up and said he would be ok with it as long as he could have a handgun in his house.

Be that as it may, it's completely shortsighted for the DC mayor, CLEO, and any other municipality to NOT have some idea or process thought out and ready to be implemented in case they DID loose that case, which they did.

You always hope for the best but PREPARE for the worst!!!

This right now is purely described as stoopidity at it's worst!!
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Why don't they just dump the whole registration thing, since they can't do it right, it doesn't prevent/deter/protect anything, it costs a -full of money, and it stomps on people's freedoms.
    Uh-huh. Didn't you just answer your own question?

Quote Originally Posted by falcon1 View Post
    I'm beginning to think that the DC Police administration makes the Keystone Cops look like an elite SWAT team.
    Oooooo. SLICE!

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Part of this is setting up excuses for why they are dragging their feet . . . postponing the inevitable.

It's all about control!

It's not like there are no other states with registration programs that they could talk to if they WANTED to . . .

It's all a setup for a stalling effort.

When MA setup their current registration program, they had the BATFE computerize the old records for them. You can bet that BATFE kept a copy of that database and was more than happy to help out!!

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    What a bunch of Bozos!!
    With all due respect, you shouldn't defame Bozo like that!!

Links