D.C. Officials Weigh Keeping Semiautomatic Pistols Illegal After Blanket Handgun Ban

D.C. Officials Weigh Keeping Semiautomatic Pistols Illegal After Blanket Handgun Ban

This is a discussion on D.C. Officials Weigh Keeping Semiautomatic Pistols Illegal After Blanket Handgun Ban within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here we go again. If it ain't Disney, it's the idiots in DC. FOXNews.com - D.C. Officials Weigh Keeping Semiautomatic Pistols Illegal After Blanket Handgun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D.C. Officials Weigh Keeping Semiautomatic Pistols Illegal After Blanket Handgun Ban

The stupidity of lawmakers never ceases to amaze me
    EVIL PREVAILS WHEN GOOD MEN FAIL TO ACT.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyglock View Post
    The stupidity of lawmakers never ceases to amaze me
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    -- Albert Einstein
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

Thumbs down "I think, I don't know, but I think"

"I think an individual possessing a handgun that can fire 18 rounds — that is loaded and can fire 18 rounds semiautomatically — is a problem for public safety in the District," Mendelson said. "I don't know what the correct number is, but something less (than 18 shots)."

Well, I certainly am glad that he cleared that up for us. It's nice to know that we have public servants who are not "arbitrary or capricious" when they act to protect the public.

Alas, another a load of poppycock!
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Hmn interesting. Is there anything stopping anyone in DC from buying hicap mags today? Looks like they may be forbidden shortly!

I wonder if they will go with something like the CA/NY/MA mag cap limits on new mags.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    The important thing in the article is that the NRA is already keeping an eye out for these shenanigans. It is pretty simple: SCOTUS says D.C. can not ban an entire class of weapons commonly used for self-defense and other lawful purposes. Well, it is pretty clear that "semi-automatic handguns" fits that definition just as well as "handguns". If they try to make all semi-autos illegal, they will be back in District of Circuit Court before the ink dries.

I also like how two-faced D.C. is about this. The actual law as written says that semi-autos capable of more than 12 shots are machine guns and machine guns may not be registered. There are plenty of semi-autos out there that can not be made to hold 12+ rounds at once. And yet the PDF flyer on the Metro PD website that is supposed to provide information about gun registration flatly says "semi-automatic handguns may not be registered in D.C."

Bunch of lying good-for-nothing .
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    Hmn interesting. Is there anything stopping anyone in DC from buying hicap mags today? Looks like they may be forbidden shortly!

I wonder if they will go with something like the CA/NY/MA mag cap limits on new mags.
    The current law in the district effectively bans semi autos with the possible exception of something like a Mauser C-96 with a fixed magazine. I forget if it is 12 shots or more than 12 shots, but anything that can fire automatically or semiautomatically 12 or more times without reloading is a "machine gun" and is prohibited. So if they can find a 13 round magazine somewhere for a 1911, it is a machine gun.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I seriously doubt they will take this to court again. I think the Brady Campaign has beaten them up enough about the decision to take the Heller case to court in the first place.

They will skate as close as they can to the edge, but they will make allowances. Most likely, they will 'compromise' with a California type limitation and will probably use the same 'approved' list as California does.

Just my .02.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

They'll lose again..... this time, they can file that the DC ban doesn't fulfill the Court's order ...... and may not require waiting forever to go up the courts.
    Because the Court did say "normal and commonly used".

I have heard, that the Supreme Court already advised them.... NO. They may be stupid enough to go ahead anyway, and then.... they may also win punitive damages against DC for intentionally violating their rights and defying the Court.

Some of them don't get ... THEY LOST. However, it's obvious they are sore losers and will go down kicking and screaming about how they know they are "right" ... the whole way.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I also like how two-faced D.C. is about this. The actual law as written says that semi-autos capable of more than 12 shots are machine guns and machine guns may not be registered. There are plenty of semi-autos out there that can not be made to hold 12+ rounds at once. And yet the PDF flyer on the Metro PD website that is supposed to provide information about gun registration flatly says "semi-automatic handguns may not be registered in D.C."
    Almost every semi-auto CAN be made to hold >12 rds. I have seen a 23 rd mag for a 1911 sold at gun shows. Since one can always MAKE a longer mag for any gun with a removable mag, the DC ban as it is now does indeed make almost every semi-auto illegal.

Nope, I don't think that part of their idiocy will fly if/when it gets challenged in court again (and I'm convinced that it will take another case to get this in front of the court). When it happens, I expect them to get slapped big-time by the DC Circuit.

Too bad they can't be held in contempt of court and jailed . . . but that doesn't work against gov'ts.
    Last edited by LenS; July 8th, 2008 at 11:06 AM.

Just how many more tax dollars will be thrown away as these guys try to advance their misguided agendas?
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

More Fenty follies.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

What a bunch of maroons. I'm an engineer. I can probably come up with a way for a Flintlock to hold 1000 rnds. Will it make a bit of difference as to how "dangerous" it is or would dc call it a machine gun?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    "I think an individual library that can hold 18 books — that is filled and you can read 18 books — is a problem for public safety in the District," Mendelson said. "I don't know what the correct number is, but something less than 18 books."

If they cant ban altogether, they will make it painful to get one through licecnsing.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post
    Almost every semi-auto CAN be made to hold >12 rds. I have seen a 23 rd mag for a 1911 sold at gun shows. Since one can always MAKE a longer mag for any gun with a removable mag, the DC ban as it is now does indeed make almost every semi-auto illegal.
    Agree with that, but the actual wording is "can be readily converted" to shoot more than 12 rounds. Apparently the standing interpretation for that has been that somewhere, somebody does make a 12+ magazine for the gun. But there are guns that don't have that hi-cap availability. Needing access to a machine shop is not a "ready conversion".

I will give you one. My SIG P6/P225. Heck, I can barely even get the normal mags for this. They don't make them anymore. Nobody makes hi-caps for it. This gun is not a machine-gun even by D.C.'s asinine definition. Therefore, I should be able to transfer it to my g/f in D.C. so she can register it.

But their flyer says no, clearly in contradiction to the law as written.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links