Defensive Carry banner

Some Texas Lawmakers Have Their Heads On Straight

903 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  rodc13 
#1 ·
Guns may be allowed at Texas colleges | Top Stories | Star-Telegram.com

Texans might soon be able to pack heat on college campuses.

That is just one of several proposals that could reach lawmakers next year as they — and legislators nationwide — explore broadening some gun laws.

"It addresses personal protection," said state Rep. Joe Driver, R-Garland, who heads the House committee that considers gun bills. "People who do things [like the Virginia Tech shooting] basically know they are walking into a gun-free zone.

"They are cowards . . . facing people not allowed to fight back."

Lawmakers could set their sights on several proposals next year in the wake of the recent historic Supreme Court ruling that determined that Americans have a right to own guns for hunting and self-defense.

Communities nationwide are doing the same thing.

Changes are already under way in some states, such as Florida, where employees may now lock guns in their cars even on private property, and Georgia, where pistols are now allowed in state parks and restaurants and on public transportation.

And lawsuits have already been filed challenging some city rules — including one in Chicago that bans possessing a gun in the city and one in San Francisco that bans handguns in public housing.

Texas likely won’t end up in the litigation fray, said James Dark, executive director of the Texas State Rifle Association.

"It is questionable whether there are any Texas laws strict enough to warrant court scrutiny," he said. "Our laws are not restrictive enough."

But anti-gun groups are working to counter future legislation nationwide, already boosting fundraising efforts to fight more challenges.

"We have our work cut out for us, but I know we can beat the gun lobby in court," Sarah Brady, chairwoman of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, wrote in a recent letter to supporters. "We have common sense on our side. And, with the Brady Center’s legal expertise and years of experience, we can and will help defend gun laws that protect you, your family and your community."

Texas laws

A law enacted in 1995 gave Texans the right to carry concealed weapons if they get a permit. More than 290,000 Texans now have permits, Department of Public Safety records show.

Driver said lawmakers probably won’t embrace an open-carry approach, despite an online petition now signed by more than 18,000 Texans.

"If that’s what a majority of the people want, we would consider it," he said. "I’m not going for that at this point. . . . but I won’t work against it.

"I believe we ought to be able to protect ourselves however we can."

College campuses

Driver said he may propose a campus personal protection act to let those with concealed handgun permits carry guns at colleges.

"We’re trying to provide students, faculty, visitors, anyone with a concealed handgun license the ability to protect themselves and at times protect others," he said.

A professor recently testified on the issue before a legislative committee, saying he is responsible for making sure students get out of the building safely if there’s a fire, tornado or other dangerous situation.

"But he said he’s tasked — if somebody starts shooting students — with hiding under his desk," Driver said.

Utah is the only state so far to allow weapons at all public universities.

Workplace safety

Another proposal that may go to lawmakers next year would let holders of concealed-handgun licenses lock their guns in a secure area at work, perhaps their vehicle’s glove compartment or in the office.

Texas law now prohibits guns in places such as government buildings and lets private businesses ban weapons on their property.

"I think it’s always time in Texas to address the gun laws," Driver said. "We are slowly moving along, trying to make sure everyone understands why we want these bills passed, why we want to let people protect themselves."
Too bad more states didn't have such clear thinking politicians.

#3 ·
"We have our work cut out for us, but I know we can beat the gun lobby in court," Sarah Brady, chairwoman of the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, wrote in a recent letter to supporters. "We have common sense on our side. And, with the Brady Center’s legal expertise and years of experience, we can and will help defend gun laws that protect you, your family and your community."
I think you have no common sense and if you pull your head out long enough you might realise you lost in the supreme court DC vs. Heller

#5 ·
I agree, especially since armed citizens played such a key role in stopping Charlie Whitman.

There's still such a built-in bias within the news media, even when the entire story ends up favorable to self-defense and 2nd Amendment issues. I was watching San Antonio's KENS-5 news this evening, and the lead-in to the story was "Soon Texans may be packing heat on campus." It's just got an emotional hook right off the bat. Why not, "Soon, Texans may be able to defend themselves against a Virginia Tech type killer."

"Packing heat" sounds like George Raft is going to be attending Texas Southern. But, as I said, the story was favorable, over all.

#6 ·
My wife works for Mr. Driver. I had the honor of taking him to his first gun show several years ago. He is Texas born and a great guy.:yup: President Bush gave Joe Driver his concealed carry number that was reserved for him when he is no longer President. President Bush decided he didn't need it with his Secret Service boys.

#7 ·
President Bush gave Joe Driver his concealed carry number that was reserved for him when he is no longer President.
Now how cool would that have been, a former Prez who carries, although with his approval rating right now that might hurt the cause.

#9 ·
I don't know that I believe it's so much the 'journalists' being biased, but that our language has become biased and the simple fact that 'words' are charged with emotion.

A while back there was an observation that instead of calling the anti's anti-2A, we should refer to them as Anti-Self-Defense, or Pro-Criminal. It was generally thought a good idea, but it's not something that ever caught on because our language and the words used to describe something is ingrained into us since before we learned to speak.

Written and Verbal language are designed to communicate ideas, and yes, emotion, through symbols. The words 'packing heat' have developed a negative connotation over the years, and it sparks a certain emotion. Whether it was learned in Tombstone, or an old John Wayne movie, common phrases will always inspire some emotion.

Recently, there was a thread on here about signatures and about the negative emotion that the word 'kill' brings in. Killing has never been against the law, either man's law, or a higher power's law. There is a difference between killing and murder, but the emotion that the word inspires has slanted the meaning.

Often times, two people/politicians/whomever, can be arguing for the exact same thing, but because of the emotion drawn up by the words they choose, they may never reach an agreement.

This becomes even more true when two people from different cultures or backgrounds are conversing. We all have to remember that the words we choose have an exact meaning, but they also have an emotion attached, be it rational or otherwise, it is something we have to remember when making our arguments.

All of that being said, while an article may come off as Pro-Criminal to us, it can easily come off as extremely Pro-Gun to the guys with the Brady Campaign. It all depends on what your background is, and what emotions you draw from the use of the language.

#11 ·
Well, however long winded I may have been, the only point I was trying to make is that 'words' are not impartial. Words were invented to convey an emotion, and it is up to us to remember that our words will provide an emotional response to our listener or our readers; and that response may not always be rational.

#13 ·
I think that's precisely correct. It's the imagery conjured up by a particular word or phrase which often conveys more than the message itself.

Reporters, particularly in the broadcast media, where all stories are produced under tight timelines and constraints, will usually pick the word or phrase with the greatest "hook". The reporter is not necessarily biased one way or the other, but just wants to keep the audience.

The problem is, of course, that in a 30-second soundbite, there's only enough time for someone to draw an impression. And too many people never go beyond their first impression, to take the time to delve into the actual issue, even though it may have a profound impact upon them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.