DC to Vote on Gun Bill in Response to Supreme Court Ruling

This is a discussion on DC to Vote on Gun Bill in Response to Supreme Court Ruling within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; WASHINGTON The District of Columbia Council planned to vote Tuesday on emergency legislation to allow handguns, but only if they are used for self-defense ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WASHINGTON The District of Columbia Council planned to vote Tuesday on emergency legislation to allow handguns, but only if they are used for self-defense in the home and carry fewer than 12 rounds of ammunition.

The legislation announced Monday comes as officials try to comply with a U.S. Supreme Court ruling last month striking down the city's 32-year-old weapons ban.

Click here to read the full opinion on the Supreme Court Web Site.

Click here for photos.

The proposal, which maintains some of the city's strict gun ownership rules and adds more regulations, was immediately criticized by gun rights advocates. They threatened more legal action.

The nation's capital would still require all legal firearms including handguns, rifles and shotguns to be kept in the home unloaded and disassembled, or equipped with trigger locks. There would be an exception for guns used against the "reasonably perceived threat of immediate harm."

The proposed legislation also maintains the city's unusual ban of machine guns, defined as weapons that shoot at least 12 rounds without reloading. That applies to most semiautomatic firearms.

RelatedStories
    Supreme Court Strikes Down D.C. Gun Ban, Upholds Individual Right to Keep and Bear Arms Photo Essays
    Right to Bear Arms "We have crafted what I believe to be a model for the nation in terms of complying with the Supreme Court's Second Amendment decision and at the same time protecting our citizens," interim Attorney General Peter Nickles said.

The National Rifle Association strongly disagreed.

"Clearly, D.C. is doing everything they can to ignore the Supreme Court ruling," said Chris W. Cox, the NRA's chief lobbyist. He said the organization would pursue legal or legislative action to thwart the city's efforts.

The legislation also would require a ballistics test to determine if a handgun is stolen or has been used in a crime.

Police Chief Cathy Lanier will limit registration to one handgun per person for the first 90 days to make sure as many people are served as possible. And those who wish to register a handgun must pass written and vision tests.

Residents who already own handguns will be granted six months of amnesty to legally register their weapons, officials said.

The emergency legislation, which has strong support from the council, will remain in effect for 90 days. It adopts many of the regulations proposed earlier this month by D.C. Council member Phil Mendelson.

Here we go.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    They really don't get it.
    I wonder if the city attorney even read Heller.

Back to court.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

I think this is terrible...............the citizens need to take them to court again! They are still trying to tie the hands of gun owners!
    Texas CHL Holder, Member NRA & TxCDL
    GLOCK 19 9mm & GLOCK 26 9mm - 3rd Gen Both
    RUGER LCP .380
    Taurus SS Judge .45/.410 & Taurus PT22 .22LR

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Wow...they sure are trying to do everything to subvert the spirit of the ruling...written and visual test? 1 per 90 days... Disassebled with a trigger lock...

Rick

Some people didn't get the fact that the gun ban didn't curb crime to begin with!!
    When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns!

Senior Member Array InspectorGadget's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Wow...they sure are trying to do everything to subvert the spirit of the ruling...written and visual test? 1 per 90 days... Disassebled with a trigger lock...

Rick
    No, they are just outright ignoring the ruling altogether.
    Colt 1911 New Agent, CTLaser

You do not work for them, they work for you.
    Senators http://senate.gov/general/contact_in...nators_cfm.cfm
    Congressmen http://www.house.gov/house/MemberWWW_by_State.shtml

Here's an article link:

The Associated Press: DC to vote on gun bill prompted by court ruling

Hopefully the OP will link the original article.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Here's an article link:

The Associated Press: DC to vote on gun bill prompted by court ruling

Hopefully the OP will link the original article.

I went back to Fox News to link the article, but they have removed it for some reason. If they put it back up, I will link it.

Just found it.
    FOXNews.com - DC to Vote on Gun Bill in Response to Supreme Court Ruling - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    I went back to Fox News to link the article, but they have removed it for some reason. If they put it back up, I will link it.

Just found it.
    FOXNews.com - DC to Vote on Gun Bill in Response to Supreme Court Ruling - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum
    Thanks Deadeye.

I'd hate to see DC experience the wrath of the AP/etc. like drudge did.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Yup, they are going to end up back in court. I wonder what happens when you anger the Supremes.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Written and vision tests huh?

So apparently the blind have no constitutional right to defend themselvs. What about the dislexic? Those who graduated high school with only a C average? My wife has to wear contacts, will the vision test require her to pass without those on?

I bet this is going back to court.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Never been happer that I live in Texas. DC has always been a place I would love to visit. But I think I will just read books about it.
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

DC should not even be voting on this. Did they not understand the meaning of the ruling that it is "unconstitutional"? they need to go to a federal judge and start having people thrown in jail for either contempt, or civil rights violations.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Yup, they are going to end up back in court. I wonder what happens when you anger the Supremes.
    Nothing happens. The SCOTUS has no police powers to enforce it's decisions.

The district court, OTOH, DOES HAVE power to enforce it's decisions. Once the injunction/order is written the "new" DC law may have to be scrapped of they may face sanctions/etc.

Boy, these morons seem to want to have everything disassembled in the home.
    Oh yea, it's more like something's disassembled in their minds.
    Didn't the ruling SPECIFICALLY say having to have rifles disassembled in the home was unconstitutional?
    I wonder how many times they will need to be slapped to get it right.........
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; July 16th, 2008 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links