Self Defense with a Handgun - an American Phenomenon?

This is a discussion on Self Defense with a Handgun - an American Phenomenon? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't know of any other explanation for why we have such high rates of consumption, crime, incarceration, drug addiction, or any of the other ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Self Defense with a Handgun - an American Phenomenon?

Senior Moderator
    I don't know of any other explanation for why we have such high rates of consumption, crime, incarceration, drug addiction, or any of the other things we lead the industrialized world in, other than to call it being self centered.
    We have hight rates of consumption because we have it to consume.

The rest of it is the result of one thing...

SIN
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Cakewalk View Post
    I was in Borders yesterday and I picked up the 2008 Gun Digest book on Ruger firearms. As I was perusing the pages, I stopped to read more closely on the GP100 and the SP101. The author wrote something that got me thinking. He said that most everywhere around the world, a self defense tool is typically a knife, and that using a handgun, specifically a small, easily concealable handgun like a snubby, is a particularly American trait. He even went so far to say that using a handgun for self defense was a peculiar phenomenon. He made it sound like the rest of the world would look at the American fixation on handguns for self defense as rather absurd.

Just wanted to open this up for what people think about that statement, because I found it rather odd to make such a statement in an American gun review book.
    Yeah well, they all looked at our concept of freedom as rather absurd as well...right before we bailed them all out of their own problems.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

The land of the free......

It's tough to defend yourself with a handgun if you're not allowed to have one in the first place.

God bless the USA!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

We use handguns for defense because we can.

People from other countries use knives because they can't use handguns.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Let's be thankful it is. In the face of weaponry up to and including firearms, self defense with anything less is ill-advised at best. Thankfully, this is one of the few places in the world where the people have not yet allowed criminals to wrest this power from the people.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck brick View Post
    In most of the rest of the world, the handgun is considered to be a weapon of offense, not defense. The rest of the world has endured various degrees of dis-armament throughout history, thus only the aggressor (criminal) element is likely to own such arms. Naturally, the law-abiding sheeple of the world will defend themselves (best they can) with sticks and stones - since that's all they have. Americans have a different history.
    Agreed.

Also, let's not forget that in the majority of the rest of the world you can't just walk into your local gun store and buy a handgun for any reason, much less defensive reasons. They are forced to defend themselves in other ways (if they choose) and they look at us as peculiar because they don't have the opportunity to do what we do.

I, in a small way, understand how it feels.

Being from Wisconsin, where concealed carry is not yet allowed, I had no idea that people in the rest of the country COULD carry guns on their persons.

The first time I even heard of such a thing was when we got a school teacher in our church who transfered down from PA and said he used to carry a gun up there.

We were all enamored. I remember people from our church asking him things like, "You really carry a gun? Like, a REAL gun? How?"

It wasn't a matter of being shocked that he would carry a gun, it was just the fact that he COULD carry a gun, physically.

And when I moved out of Wisconsin and JD got his permit to carry I was still very interested in the whole idea that a person COULD REALLY carry a gun in self defense. When I started down my own carry road I saw the prudence and sense of it but at first it was very peculiar to me.

A vast majority of people in other countries have never laid eyes on a real handgun, much less shot one. The idea that you could carry one is very alien to them so I don't blame them for finding us peculiar.

When I was working up at the gun range in PA we got a customer in who was visiting from Germany with some friends. They decided to take him shooting.

He walked in and looked at all the guns to rent and he was AMAZED that not only could he look at them but he could actually TOUCH them. Then, when his friends rented a couple to shoot he was so thrilled that he could ACTUALLY SHOOT THEM that he was about to go through his skin in excitement.

After he got out of the range he was so impressed that he couldn't stop talking about how wonderful America was that we could have access to guns so easily.

Then his friend said, "And you can even carry them."

The German said, "What do you mean? Like, in a case?"

"No," his friend said, "Like, in a holster, on your hip."

"But they must be unloaded, no?"

"No. They can be loaded. We Americans can carry a gun in self defense. In fact, I bet you all the money in my wallet that she," (pointing to me) "has a gun on her right now."

I nodded, turned, and revealed my Kimber.

The kids eyes got about as big as soft balls.

My coworker beside me turned and lifted his shirt and showed his Sig. The guy next in line turned and showed his Glock.

He was so shocked he resorted to German for the next couple of phrases and then came back with, "Why?"

He could understand shooting for sport. He could understand the thrill of owning but something about carry just didn't penetrate his 20 previous years of ingrained thinking that you didn't need a handgun. It took some reasoning.

After the four of us gave him a brief discussion about our reasons he proclaimed, "I LOVE AMERICA!"

We are a unique country, that's for sure! But I'm thankful for it!

To most of the rest of the world, America is still the 'wild west'. I've been to other parts of the world, and quite frankly--the television programs they get through local broadcasts about America consist of Andy Griffith and John Wayne movies. Of course it's been about twenty years since I've been overseas.

A few quotes that seem to apply...

"WE ARE S P A R T A N S!!" Well maybe not....but there seems to be a connection, "F R E E D O M!!!"
    Kahr K9
    Sig P239 9mm DAK
    Sig P229 .40 SAS GenII
    Sig P250 9mm

EW3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    To most of the rest of the world, America is still the 'wild west'. I've been to other parts of the world, and quite frankly--the television programs they get through local broadcasts about America consist of Andy Griffith and John Wayne movies. Of course it's been about twenty years since I've been overseas.
    When I was stationed in Germany, I made friends with a German couple who said that prior to meeting me they assumed all Americans were just like the ones in the TV show Dallas; rich cowboys!

I think deep down inside, countries like England are jealous of our right to bear arms. Read some of the comments sections in thier online newspapers about Heller and other 2A issues.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links