Florida Utilities Company Says No Guns Allowed

This is a discussion on Florida Utilities Company Says No Guns Allowed within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Looks like the local power company is going the way of the Mouse. Despite Law, JEA Not Allowing Guns At Work...

Thread: Florida Utilities Company Says No Guns Allowed

Looks like the local power company is going the way of the Mouse.

Despite Law, JEA Not Allowing Guns At Work

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    The news story states:

Under the statute that went into effect 14 days ago schools, correctional institutions and businesses with combustible or explosive materials can still prohibit employees from bringing guns to work.

The exemption also covers any property used for national defense or homeland security -- JEA believes that includes them.

JEA officials said normal operation of the sheriff's office and fire and rescue units depend on their utilities, making their company a very valuable asset to homeland security.

The electric company believes they qualify under a Homeland Security exemption?!? Give me a break! What a load of crap. I truly hope some employee takes them to court on this one. Talk about a stretch!
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Gonzo, that's not such a large stretch. Most Nuclear Power facilities and most electrical power distribution sites have a similiar policy. Many communication facilites will also fall into that exemption.
    Last edited by Kerbouchard; July 17th, 2008 at 10:57 AM. Reason: correction
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    Gonzo, that's not a stretch at all. All Nuclear Power facilities and most power distribution sites have the same policy. Many communication facilites will also fall into that exemption.
    Not necessarially. There are several plants whose security procedures specifically comply with state laws that permit you to lock your firearm in your vehicle... and if a nuke plant is not exempt, surely a local electric company wouldn't be.

Just an FYI...JEA has no nuclear plants in their infrastructure.

More arrogance.

I doubt that it will stand a test in court. The question is, will anyone test it.....?
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

It's a reason to raise thier rates, to fund the coming court costs.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I can't think of any company that would be closer to falling under the Homeland Security exemption than the power companies. This is not to infer pro or con about their banning of guns but let the power go off and you will soon be needing your gun. Without them just about everything else will come to a standstill.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I can't think of any company that would be closer to falling under the Homeland Security exemption than the power companies. This is not to infer pro or con about their banning of guns but let the power go off and you will soon be needing your gun. Without them just about everything else will come to a standstill.
    There's the hammer that hit the nail right there.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    I think I might have worded my first post poorly. It was not that an electrical company is not a integral part of the infrastructure. I agree...it is. Believe me, I'm quite familiar with infrastructure protection as it relates to Homeland Security. I deal with it every day in a professional capacity. The "stretch" I'm referring to is the companies attempt to classify themselves that way in order to circumvent FL's new law. It is simply an attempt at an end run by the company to avoid complying with the law.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

I love Marion Hammer. She's my hero.

I used to work at FPL nuclear facilities and probably kept my gun in the glove box in the parking lot. Good thing I didn't get caught, if I did such a thing.

Still, it seemed safer than leaving it in the seedy motels I used to stay in over there.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Senior Moderator
    I know that the second largest Nuclear Utility in the country allows firearms in locked vehicles on their property.

I do believe, however, that this is a completley voluntary thing.

When the SHTF and the power plants get locked down, I dont beleive that the weapons in the parking lot will be allowed...or so I've been told.

If it ever gets so bad that we go to martial law, all kinds of allowances and priveledges and even rights are going to go right out the window.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

More easier to choke down that the toilet paper company.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I am really amazed myself, at what their "real " concern is..... or if they are just arrogant anti-gun Companies like the one I work for, who think employees have not rights other than those the Company allows them. They don't think they are God, they think they are his boss.

Links