Gov. Patrick Attacks Law-abiding Gun Owners by Proposing Sharp Increases in Lic. Fees

This is a discussion on Gov. Patrick Attacks Law-abiding Gun Owners by Proposing Sharp Increases in Lic. Fees within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As reported by the National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action: URGENT: Governor Patrick Attacks Law-abiding Gun Owners by Proposing Sharp Increases in Licensing Fees! ...

Thread: Gov. Patrick Attacks Law-abiding Gun Owners by Proposing Sharp Increases in Lic. Fees

Gov. Patrick Attacks Law-abiding Gun Owners by Proposing Sharp Increases in Lic. Fees

As reported by the National Rifle Association Institute for Legislative Action:

URGENT: Governor Patrick Attacks Law-abiding Gun Owners by Proposing Sharp Increases in Licensing Fees!
    Please Contact Your Legislators Today!

Yesterday, Sunday July 13, Governor Deval Patrick (D) filed a special appropriations bill for the 2008 fiscal year. Within this bill, which has yet to receive a bill number, sections 24-27 will drastically increase certain firearm license fees.

Sections 24 & 25 will increase state licensed firearm dealerís fees from $100 for three years to $250. Then within that three-year period, licensed dealers will be charged an additional $100 inspection fee per year. This tactic would turn a $100 three-year dealer's license into a $450 three-year license.

Section 26 would increase a resident License to Carry fee from $100 for six years to $200 for six years and Section 27 would increase a non-resident License to Carry fee from $100 for one year to $250 for one year.

Please contact your state legislator TODAY and respectfully request that he or she oppose any attempt to increase firearm license fees in the Governorís Appropriations Bill.
    You can find contact information for your state legislator by clicking here; NRA-ILA :: Action Center

- Janq

Personal note: Some time earlier this year someone commented to me; "MA does not want to take away your guns".
    Oh yeah, really? You sure about that. I don't think so.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

Just sick how they can't get what they want so they try to force the issue in other ways.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    Which state?
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Massachusetts
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Curious what other state fees are for comparison...I believe I paid awhile back 100 clams for 5 years. I know some states are cheaper and some more expensive.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Curious what other state fees are for comparison...I believe I paid awhile back 100 clams for 5 years. I know some states are cheaper and some more expensive.

Rick
    In PA its $25 plus three bucks for the passport photos they take. After hearing what others pay I was more than happy to hand it over!

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I paid $152.50 for a 3-year permit in Colorado! $100 to the County Sheriff and $52.50 to CBI for the background check. I imagine the MA Governor will say one of two distinctly different things. He'll come right out and say he's against any private gun ownership or he's with us, but has to raise money to offset higher costs (fuel, etc.). Let's allhold our breath and see which way he goes.............
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

New Member Array Dynamite Rabbit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I paid $152.50 for a 3-year permit in Colorado! $100 to the County Sheriff and $52.50 to CBI for the background check. I imagine the MA Governor will say one of two distinctly different things. He'll come right out and say he's against any private gun ownership or he's with us, but has to raise money to offset higher costs (fuel, etc.). Let's allhold our breath and see which way he goes.............
    It's actually a five year permit in Colorado, and the renewal is $38. The $152.50 is still pretty steep, in my opinion.

"When I watched Goal do so very little to prevent the actions of 1998, I left their organization and extended them an invitation to plant a kiss on the rear extremity of my organization.

Now I hear Goal is being equally ineffective with MA NR LTCs being rejected with no legal grounds.

I believe it is time to restate my position. Goal, KMA. "

So do MA gunowners have a plan? Is it just going to be more squawking with no hope and no reward ? (sorry if that sounds wrong - not meant as such)

Looks like you are vastly outnumbered and from my memory GOAL/MA was nothing more than lip service.

Hypothetically - only because I believe you have such a completely lost cause - I think there is some validity to argue the 24th ammendment. It is wrong to be taxed (fee'd, reamed, etc) to exercise a right.

As a nonres, I am facing $250 PER YEAR for a permit. (My last MA permit was $20/4yr)

Since I have moved out of MA, I have kept an extra bedroom for the explicit purpose of sheltering friends fleeing PRM..... The taxes aren't any better, real estate is durn cheap, and the legislature is moderately pro-gun.

So do you guys have a prayer, or are you just going to roll over on this one?

ETA: I'm really not trying to sound like a jerk. I am simply stunned that someplace with a deep history of independance has turned into a bastion of pantywaist fools. MA has effectively legislated out most of their gun industry, and the gun owners are in much worse shape. No organization, no high falutin' lawyers. Just a bunch of pissed off guys. Frik, you have to be in a green city to even OWN a handgun. I'm not sure how "CLEO discression" stacks up against Heller, but apparently the pols in MA know what you need - and to quote the MA AG: "All I'm saying is that...we really try and discourage people from self-help."
    Last edited by Shizzlemah; July 17th, 2008 at 08:15 PM. Reason: clarification and further venting

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Hey Rabbit - thanks! The Sheriff's Office told me it was as I stated. Perhaps the clerical babe didn't know (or could it be Pueblo County's hefty charge????). Your news is better than finding out I saved 15% by switching to Geico!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I paid $125 for my CHL class and I forget how much my license to the state was, I think $140 for 5 years. I couldn't use my DD214 for a discount as I have been out too long.

-Paco

Links