Charges dropped against third-grade teacher who took gun to school

This is a discussion on Charges dropped against third-grade teacher who took gun to school within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Charges dropped against third-grade teacher who took gun to school -- OrlandoSentinel.com Charges dropped against third-grade teacher who took gun to school Rene Stutzman | ...

Thread: Charges dropped against third-grade teacher who took gun to school

Charges dropped against third-grade teacher who took gun to school -- OrlandoSentinel.com

Rene Stutzman | Sentinel Staff Writer
    9:29 AM EDT, July 21, 2008

SANFORD - A third-grade teacher arrested for taking a gun onto school property was set for trial today, but prosecutors dropped all charges.

Michelle McGhee, 56, of Sanford, was arrested Dec. 12, after a secretary at Heathrow Elementary School discovered a snub-nosed .38-caliber revolver near the bus ramp. Nearby was McGhee's cell phone.

McGhee admitted the gun was hers. She told authorities that she has a concealed weapons permit but brought the gun to school inadvertently.

Her attorney, Robert Fisher, said today that McGhee had stacked her school belongings together the night before, inadvertently placed her gun among them, then the next morning grabbed up everything, placed them in her car, then unloaded them in the school parking lot and wheeled them inside.

The gun and her cell phone apparently fell off as she was walking toward the building, he said.

"Looked like clearly it was an accident," said Fisher. "She's not a danger to anybody."

McGhee was charged with two misdemeanors -- possessing a firearm on school property and culpable negligence. Had she been convicted, she faced a maximum sentence of one year in jail.

Assistant State Attorney Matthews Bark said the state dropped charges because whatever happened, it was not a crime.

The Seminole County School Board suspended McGhee shortly after her arrest.

She has been a teacher for 25 years, Fisher said.
    Doesn't say whether she got her job back. Probably still in violation of school board regs/employees policies.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

With all the school shootings, it might be a good thing if the teachers were allowed to carry. Might just prevent further loss of lives.

Tough subject!
    What do you do if you "forget" and carry in the wrong place?
    One man with a gun can control 100 without one.
    Vladimir Lenin

This is one that I'm torn on. First off I'd like to say that I believe that legal gun owners should be able to carry in schools, teachers or otherwise. However, what it looks like to me is this woman dropped her loaded firearm on school grounds. It also looks like she was not the first person to find it. I don't know the timeline of the incident, which could mitigate the issue a bit.

That said, it is a SERIOUS problem to lose control of your firearm. It's especially a serious problem if you happen to lose control of it where there are likely to be children around. It seems to me that the woman is indeed in violation of the law as well. She does not paint a good picture of legal gun owners and legal gun owners who defend this woman may only be making the picture worse.

I don't know enough about the situation to make any real judgements, but I just wanted to bring up some points to think about. Also, I'm not a parent, but if that had happened at my child's school and my child was harmed as a result...

Anyway, food for thought.

Take care,

nasm

Quote Originally Posted by nasm View Post
    This is one that I'm torn on. First off I'd like to say that I believe that legal gun owners should be able to carry in schools, teachers or otherwise. However, what it looks like to me is this woman dropped her loaded firearm on school grounds. It also looks like she was not the first person to find it. I don't know the timeline of the incident, which could mitigate the issue a bit.

That said, it is a SERIOUS problem to lose control of your firearm. It's especially a serious problem if you happen to lose control of it where there are likely to be children around. It seems to me that the woman is indeed in violation of the law as well. She does not paint a good picture of legal gun owners and legal gun owners who defend this woman may only be making the picture worse.

I don't know enough about the situation to make any real judgements, but I just wanted to bring up some points to think about. Also, I'm not a parent, but if that had happened at my child's school and my child was harmed as a result...

Anyway, food for thought.

Take care,

nasm
    Agreed.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Agreed.
    Agreed with your agreement.

How cavalier, or scatter brained, does one have to be to not only 'accidentally' place your firearm next to your work/school related gear but to also place that same gear into your car and not notice as much. Then to remove it from your car and place it onto a loading cart, and from there to not notice that you dropped not just your gun but your cell phone too both of which make a noise when they fall to the ground (outside of landing on grass).

That's just a lot of happenstance and not noticing going on.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Well I'm glad she's not facing criminal charges, even though they may be in order. While I don't agree with the law, it should be enforced uniformly. I have to question whether or not her age and tenure played a major role in the charges being dropped. The cynic in me suspects that a 27 year old recently hired male teacher might have faced a different set of circumstances.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

She didn't 'just forget' that her gun was there....she, unknowingly, dropped her sidearm at school. Lost positive control of her weapon. Put a gun out there for a child to possiably find. That was extremely irresponsible!

I am 100% behind teachers and staff being able to carry at school and I believe it to be necessary. But a gun shouldn't be an item that takes up space in a purse or briefcase.......something that you may or may not have remembered or properly store or place on your person securly. Mrs. Mcghee lost sight of that.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Not necessarily an intended crime, but pretty stupid.

Carry in schools? Well, it isn't a problem in Utah.

If allowed, my Kimber would be with me in a heartbeat, and no one would know it.

Stay armed...maybe someday in school, too...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My daughter will be starting the 3d grade at that school in a few weeks. I kinda hope she gets Mrs McGhee for her teacher. By all reports, this incident notwithstanding, she's solid.......and I sure agree with her 2A stance!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

Agreeing with Nasm on this one as well.

The debate whether teachers should be allowed to carry, is not really relavent to this IMO. It is in fact not legal where she is and she did a pretty bone headed thing. I don't buy that she didn't hear the gun or the cell phone hit the pavement when loading the cart, or that she just laid it by her stack of books at the house.

Had a kid or some one else with bad intentions picked it up this may have had a pretty awful outcome.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorbarn View Post
    With all the school shootings, it might be a good thing if the teachers were allowed to carry. Might just prevent further loss of lives.

Tough subject!
    What do you do if you "forget" and carry in the wrong place?
    + 2

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorbarn View Post

?
    Perhaps, but not teachers as negligent and careless as this one obviously was.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Her case is a classic reason used by school officials against...especially the argument that if a teacher can't remember/be responsible, how do you expect a student, with a very busy schedule/workload/social life, to be such.

Rick

I don't see how you accidently group a gun with scholl items unless you plan on taking it with those school items,I think incidents like this paint a poor picture of responsible gun owners,I know when I have a gun on me or with me It's not something that slips my mind when I see a sign that says no guns allowed and It's a legal sign then I know I can't legally carry there,She dropped a loaded gun in a place frequented by hundreds of kids,I hope she learned her lesson
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links