Defensive Carry banner

Gun owners show their metal in Hastings, Front Page Article in Detroit Free Press

1K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Rev9mm 
#1 ·
Now I'm not advocating open-carry, but having any of our gun-rights affirmed by LE and even advertised can only be a good thing. I only quoted a little side-bar, but the rest of the article was good and unbiased. I bolded two key issues mentioned.

Gun owners show their metal in Hastings | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Rules for gun toting

Legal: Carrying a gun openly in most public places.

Illegal: Carrying a gun into a church, bank, court, theater, sports arena, day care center, hospital or bar.

Illegal: Brandishing a gun, defined as waving or pointing menacingly.

They can't do it: Local governments can't enact laws prohibiting carrying guns openly.

Hidden: A county-issued permit is required to carry a concealed weapon.

Driving: If you're driving, you must take the holster off and store the gun unloaded in a trunk or far from an easy grab away.

Handguns vs. long guns (rifles/shotguns): The Michigan State Police say you can carry a long gun or a handgun as long as you're not brandishing it.

Private property: Businesses or individuals can set their own rules about carrying a gun, openly or concealed, on their own property.

Source: Michigan State Police

#2 ·
Good Article! Although we face an uphill battle, we are starting to turn things around, I think.

#3 ·
Illegal: Carrying a gun into a church, bank, court, theater, sports arena, day care center, hospital or bar.

Are they refering to OC in a bank?

Peter Hamm, spokesman for the Brady Campaign, the largest U.S. gun control organization, said he doesn't dispute the legal right to carry weapons openly but thinks those who demonstrate for such rights are pushy and aggressive.

If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is. Besides, Peter just doesn't get it....rights are not something to be demonstrated for, they are "God given". They are ours by being born, they can only be taken away by despots and close minded people such as him.

#9 ·

Are they refering to OC in a bank?
Yes, basically:

Since there is no law preventing Open carry, OC has always been legal. However, we have a law that lists pistol free areas to include the above. The law, however, says that those with a concealed pistol license are exempt from the ban in those places. Stay with me here...

There is another law that list "concealed pistol free zones" for us ccw'ers, it is mostly the same list (banks are not on it). The wording however, left us a loophole:

On BOTH lists are: hospitals, schools, daycares, and others. The wording in the original law says you can carry there if you have a concealed pistol license. The NEW law says that you cannot carry an concealed pistol at those places. The loophole is that it is not illegal for a CPL holder to open-carry in a church, daycare, sports arena, etc.

I wouldn't do it without having a good lawyer on retainer though, as that would almost certainly make for a court case.

#10 ·
Very interesting...I'll have to do some research on that. Right now the old saying "Rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6" is holding true ;)

In a church, mosque, place of worship it is up the presiding official as to whether or not we can conceal...So, who is this man/woman to tell me when I can and cannot protect myself???

#12 ·
In a church, mosque, place of worship it is up the presiding official as to whether or not we can conceal...
I believe it is up to the presiding or governing body, which isn't necessarily the preacher/priest/shaman. It is often a board or panel of congregation members that make policies. The clergyperson is often just an employee. Not trying to split hairs, but if you have permission from your pastor, you may not be covered.

#11 ·
Very interesting indeed. I learned something new today! Thanks Cupcake.

#13 ·
Good article, but a lot of the quotes from observes and others alike show that we have a long way to go in education. I certainly won't bash this piece. Its actually a good and balanced bit of reporting! Both sides weigh in with little opinionated fluff. I'd probably read more national news if more stories were written like this.

#14 ·
Where did you find anything about a governing body? All I've ever found, heard, been told, etc. was what the MI state police web site says. MSP - Pistol Free Areas

"Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship, unless the presiding official allows concealed weapons."

#15 ·
In my experience, most churches have a board of elders who hire the pastor and tell the him what the policies are. They also have the power to fire him if they wish. Too bad Jim Jone's church wasn't set up that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.