Gun owners show their metal in Hastings, Front Page Article in Detroit Free Press

This is a discussion on Gun owners show their metal in Hastings, Front Page Article in Detroit Free Press within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Now I'm not advocating open-carry, but having any of our gun-rights affirmed by LE and even advertised can only be a good thing. I only ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun owners show their metal in Hastings, Front Page Article in Detroit Free Press

Gun owners show their metal in Hastings, Front Page Article in Detroit Free Press

Now I'm not advocating open-carry, but having any of our gun-rights affirmed by LE and even advertised can only be a good thing. I only quoted a little side-bar, but the rest of the article was good and unbiased. I bolded two key issues mentioned.

Gun owners show their metal in Hastings | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

Rules for gun toting

Legal: Carrying a gun openly in most public places.

Illegal: Carrying a gun into a church, bank, court, theater, sports arena, day care center, hospital or bar.

Illegal: Brandishing a gun, defined as waving or pointing menacingly.

They can't do it: Local governments can't enact laws prohibiting carrying guns openly.

Hidden: A county-issued permit is required to carry a concealed weapon.

Driving: If you're driving, you must take the holster off and store the gun unloaded in a trunk or far from an easy grab away.

Handguns vs. long guns (rifles/shotguns): The Michigan State Police say you can carry a long gun or a handgun as long as you're not brandishing it.

Private property: Businesses or individuals can set their own rules about carrying a gun, openly or concealed, on their own property.

Source: Michigan State Police
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Good Article! Although we face an uphill battle, we are starting to turn things around, I think.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Illegal: Carrying a gun into a church, bank, court, theater, sports arena, day care center, hospital or bar.

Are they refering to OC in a bank?

Peter Hamm, spokesman for the Brady Campaign, the largest U.S. gun control organization, said he doesn't dispute the legal right to carry weapons openly but thinks those who demonstrate for such rights are pushy and aggressive.

If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black, I don't know what is. Besides, Peter just doesn't get it....rights are not something to be demonstrated for, they are "God given". They are ours by being born, they can only be taken away by despots and close minded people such as him.
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

who made Peter Hamm an expert and mind reader?
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I hope it works, then we can start to follow suit everywhere.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    who made Peter Hamm an expert and mind reader?
    Oh, he hears voices in his head all the time, so it must be from what people around him are thinking.

Awesome...my sister lives in Hastings and I'll be up that way this weekend. Yay for us, every little bit helps right!!
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

1 out of 75 of us Michiganders have CPL permits...WOO HOO that is great!!

Quote Originally Posted by badmojo View Post

Are they refering to OC in a bank?
    Yes, basically:

Since there is no law preventing Open carry, OC has always been legal. However, we have a law that lists pistol free areas to include the above. The law, however, says that those with a concealed pistol license are exempt from the ban in those places. Stay with me here...

There is another law that list "concealed pistol free zones" for us ccw'ers, it is mostly the same list (banks are not on it). The wording however, left us a loophole:

On BOTH lists are: hospitals, schools, daycares, and others. The wording in the original law says you can carry there if you have a concealed pistol license. The NEW law says that you cannot carry an concealed pistol at those places. The loophole is that it is not illegal for a CPL holder to open-carry in a church, daycare, sports arena, etc.

I wouldn't do it without having a good lawyer on retainer though, as that would almost certainly make for a court case.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

Very interesting...I'll have to do some research on that. Right now the old saying "Rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6" is holding true ;)

In a church, mosque, place of worship it is up the presiding official as to whether or not we can conceal...So, who is this man/woman to tell me when I can and cannot protect myself???

Very interesting indeed. I learned something new today! Thanks Cupcake.
    ‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’

— Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    In a church, mosque, place of worship it is up the presiding official as to whether or not we can conceal...
    I believe it is up to the presiding or governing body, which isn't necessarily the preacher/priest/shaman. It is often a board or panel of congregation members that make policies. The clergyperson is often just an employee. Not trying to split hairs, but if you have permission from your pastor, you may not be covered.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Good article, but a lot of the quotes from observes and others alike show that we have a long way to go in education. I certainly won't bash this piece. Its actually a good and balanced bit of reporting! Both sides weigh in with little opinionated fluff. I'd probably read more national news if more stories were written like this.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Where did you find anything about a governing body? All I've ever found, heard, been told, etc. was what the MI state police web site says. MSP - Pistol Free Areas

"Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship, unless the presiding official allows concealed weapons."

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Where did you find anything about a governing body? All I've ever found, heard, been told, etc. was what the MI state police web site says. MSP - Pistol Free Areas

"Any property or facility owned or operated by a church, synagogue, mosque, temple, or other place of worship, unless the presiding official allows concealed weapons."
    In my experience, most churches have a board of elders who hire the pastor and tell the him what the policies are. They also have the power to fire him if they wish. Too bad Jim Jone's church wasn't set up that way.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links