Heller Files Second Lawsuit Against D.C.!!!

Heller Files Second Lawsuit Against D.C.!!!

This is a discussion on Heller Files Second Lawsuit Against D.C.!!! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; FOXNews.com - Gun Ban Plaintiff Dick Heller Files New Lawsuit Against Washington, D.C. - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum WASHINGTON ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Heller Files Second Lawsuit Against D.C.!!!

Post Heller Files Second Lawsuit Against D.C.!!!

FOXNews.com - Gun Ban Plaintiff Dick Heller Files New Lawsuit Against Washington, D.C. - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

WASHINGTON The plaintiff in the Supreme Court case that overturned Washington's 32-year-old handgun ban has filed a new federal lawsuit against the city.

In a complaint filed Monday in U.S. District Court, Dick Heller and two other plaintiffs allege that the city's new gun regulations still violate rights guaranteed under the Constitution.

The lawsuit cites the District of Columbia's unusual ban on firearms that carry more than 12 rounds of ammunition, which includes most semiautomatic handguns.

The suit also claims that the city's regulations make it all but impossible for residents to keep a gun ready for immediate self defense in the home.

The Supreme Court struck down Washington's handgun ban June 26. The D.C. Council passed emergency legislation July 15 in an effort to comply with the court's ruling.
    Here we go again!
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    SWEET!!

Hope it goes as well this time. Maybe there will be a settlement before spending all the money in the court system.
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

This time I hope it costs the City money and the Mayor and members of the city council jail time for contempt of court.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Jim Quinn always says liberals will always try to get something done legislatively first, if that doesn't work they'll take it to the courts clear up to the supreme court, and if they lose there... they start all over as if nothing ever happened in the fisrt place. The liberals in DC are avoiding the real issue at hand.... THEY LOST.

I can't even get myself to think how these idiots really think these laws can work. I really do try to see others views and why they view the way they do... guns are one of those issues I hurt my head trying to figure out how they think

"Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

AMEN Brother!

I wish Mr. Heller all the best luck.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

If these guys had to pay for the cost of this out of their own pockets instead of the taxpayers how fast do you think they would back down.When the only consequence you incur is isn't anything personally then why not frivolously challenge lawsuits you know you can't win,If I was a taxpayer in DC I would be protesting to have the incompetent mayor,police chief,and district attorney fired
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I'm certainly no authority on the law, or much else, but it appears to me that this baloney by the D.C. mayor, police, and city attorney could go on forever. Since each lawsuit appears to have a somewhat narrow scope, I don't see any end to this mess because D.C. will just enact new requirements each time the Supreme Court finds their current restrictions unconstitutional.

Apparently, we have no way in this country to force city governments to desist from infringing upon our rights as protected by the 2nd Amendment which, by the way, have been confirmed by the highest court in the land.
    Last edited by gimpy; July 28th, 2008 at 06:40 PM. Reason: correct punctuation
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I'm just glad it's Heller that is taking this case up, again. I was very surprised when D.C. did not issue him the permit. I figured D.C. would give Heller whatever he wanted, and then deny everybody else. We have a very strong plaintiff in Heller, as we have already seen. I just hope we win the Chicago case and get a run at incorporation.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

Alan Gura isn't the attorney for Heller this time around; the attorney is Stephen Halbrook, who is extremely pro Second Amendment.

Lead Moderator
    Guess we'll see how far this one goes, and what the outcome is.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Apparently, we have no way in this country to force city governments to desist from infringing upon our rights as protected by the 2nd Amendment which, by the way, have been confirmed by the highest court in the land.
    Of course, we can change the laws. In fact, that is exacly what legislatures are paid to do. There is no way the Judicial Branch can force city or state governments to do anything at all. And that is a very good thing.

Anytime it wants, the Congress of the United States can change the laws in DC. That is what was written into the Constitution. What was not written, although often assumed, is that the Court has power to do anything but provide an opinion. And on the Constitutionality of laws they do not have that power, either.

Heller can whine and complain all he wants to the judicial system. And I wish him all the luck in the world and thank him for bringing our cause to forefront of the news. Maybe he can be awarded $7M in compensatory damages but he cannot change the law. The time and money is much better spent convincing the people to vote for legislators that will remove gun control laws that hinder the public safety. But lawyers do what lawyers do. I certainly hate to think that we have reverted to the liberal strategy for running to find friendly judges rather than passing laws.

I thank God we do not live in a society that is run by five men in robes. At least not yet. Nothing could be more antithetical to the Founder's beliefs.

VIP Member

Contempt of court???

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post

I guess I don't understand why they don't go back to the original trial court and ask that the city be held in contempt and fined substantially for each day Heller is denied his permit.

The situation we are now discussing is what I predicted when I first read the decision; that is, local authorities everywhere, and not just D.C., are going to do their best to avoid doing the right thing.
    The right thing being, following the court's decision.

SD, your ideology is correct, but misplaced. Judges have been making the laws for decades. Roe Vs Wade, Brown vs Board of Education, and many others have drastically changed the laws of the land.

Eventually DC will change their laws. I'm just not sure how long they are going to draw it out.

Who is John Galt?

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    SD, your ideology is correct, but misplaced. Judges have been making the laws for decades. Roe Vs Wade, Brown vs Board of Education, and many others have drastically changed the laws of the land.
    Sounds like all the more reason to smack the Courts back down to their constitutionally-defined roles, to me.

-B

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links