Success & Failure

This is a discussion on Success & Failure within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I don't think this has been posted on the forum yet. It's a great read. If it has been posted already then can one of ...

Thread: Success & Failure

Administrator

Success & Failure

I don't think this has been posted on the forum yet. It's a great read. If it has been posted already then can one of the moderators just please delete it...oh wait...I am a moderator...I can delete it myself...never mind. Anyway...read it.

Link To article Click Here

The Threat Of Gun Control
    Doug Hagin

Doug Hagin
    January 12, 2004

Think for a moment of the rights that Americans enjoy. Which is the most precious? Which is the most fundamental? Which of our rights can we truly not be free without?

Freedom of speech? Freedom of religion? How about Freedom against unreasonable searches and seizures? Yes these are all hallmarks of a free society. Yet there is one freedom which protects these and all our other rights in America. That right is found in our Constitution in the form of the Second Amendment.

Yes truly the right of Americans to keep and bare arms is the most fundamental of all our liberties. The Founders were brilliant men. They knew our rights came from the Creator and they formed a nation based on respecting and defending those rights. They also knew that those God-given rights would last only as long as the American people held the right to own guns.

Think of it, without the freedom to own guns we are unable to defend our other rights. Without the Second Amendment the rest of the constitution is hollow and meaningless. By it's very nature any government will, over time become greedy and start to encroach on the rights of its people. The founders certainly knew this and put the right to own guns as the ultimate defense against government intrusion upon our liberties.

This truth is why the battle against gun control is so crucial to preserving America's freedoms. None of our constitutional rights has been so maligned or attacked, as has the right to keep and bare arms. And the price if we lose this struggle is clearly illustrated by a case out of Chicago.

There Hale DeMar, a 54-year old homeowner is facing prison time for owning a gun. A local ordinance bans ownership of handguns, a clear violation of the constitution, and Mr. DeMar has found himself in hot water for daring to exercise his constitutional right to defend his home.

The trouble for DeMar began when an intruder broke into his home on December 29th. DeMar shot the intruder twice and protected his family from whatever the criminal had planned for them. Now he faces up to a year in prison, for simply doing what the Second Amendment guarantees him the right to do, own a gun.

The tragedy of this case is very clear to see. The ultimate result of gun control will be the criminalizing of self-defense. And this case borders on that. The attitude of the authorities in Wilmette, Illinois, where DeMar lives is frightening to anyone who loves freedom.

Police Chief George Carpenter said the charges show the towns "serious concerns" about the shooting. How about the concern for the rights to be secure in our homes? Or the concern for our right to protect ourselves?

Carpenter made some very troubling statements about DeMar and the charges he faces. "The outcome of the matter in this case was very fortunate for the homeowner. We much prefer, for the safety of the home, that a resident who finds himself in this situation immediately lock the door of the room he is in and dial 911."

Really Chief Carpenter? There is no "safety" in the home once an intruder has chosen to violate the law and break in. Mr. DeMar chose to be prepared to protect his home and now he is facing a jail term?

Not content to pass judgment on DeMar for standing up to law breakers Chief Carpenter continued his nonsensical remarks. "Wilmette residents are much safer without handguns in their homes. We see handguns stolen, used in domestic arguments or suicides. Those are far more likely outcomes than when you would actually need a handgun to defend yourself."

Apparently Chief Carpenter has been drinking the gun grabbers Kool-Aid pretty regularly if he believes such ignorant statements. As I wrote just last week well over 2 million Americans use guns to defend themselves annually in America. Maybe Carpenter does not approve of self-defense?

Chief Carpenter did express some concern for DeMar however. "He strikes us as a good man with a good heart who did something that apparently came naturally to him. That's why it is important the Wilmette Police speak out now."

Speak out about what Chief Carpenter? People not surrendering to criminals? People defending themselves and their families? Why would any law-enforcement officials speak out against these things?

Chief Carpenter also said he did regret "the intrusion of the family's privacy." Well that ought to ease their concerns shouldn't it? If Mr. DeMar goes to prison for exercising his constitutional rights they should thank Chief Carpenter for his "regrets." If some other family actually follows Carpenter's advice and dials 911 and hopes help arrives in time they might be killed in their own home but they will have Chief Carpenters "regrets."

The question of gun control is truly a question of liberty. Will we be free to defend ourselves? Or will we leave ourselves at the mercies of criminals and gun control laws which criminals love?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Doug Hagin was born in Tampa, Florida, and now resides in Dallas, Texas. He is 38, single, loves outdoors, and dreams of having a political column nationally syndicated. Doug has been writing political columns for 7 years, and now his column runs regularly in American Daily, Republican News Daily, the Starr Journal, the Intellectual Conservative, Hour Eleven, the Reality Check, Opinion Editorials, the Ellis County Press, and the Daley News Post along with others.

Copyright 2004 by Doug Hagin
    http://www.renewamerica.us/columns/hagin/040112
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Thx QK - it was a new read for me IIRC and states well much we all feel.
    Chief Carpenter continued his nonsensical remarks. "Wilmette residents are much safer without handguns in their homes. We see handguns stolen, used in domestic arguments or suicides. Those are far more likely outcomes than when you would actually need a handgun to defend yourself."
    This in particular yanks my chain - always does. It is firstly totally cutting across the constution - as if it does not exist and second - it is a crock!

It is crass statements like this that make me wish for the proponent of such, to have to face an attack or home invasion - with no means of defence, and see how they feel then. This stuff is very rant-worthy but I'll stop there for now!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I hope Mr. DeMar has a good lawyer. This one should go all the way to the top!!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator

Angry

Nothing could be more natural than protecting your family when your personal living space is invaded/threatened.

Correct me if I'm wrong but, can't that ingrained natural basic human instinct be traced all the way back to Early Man when the Sabre Tooth Tiger was prowling around right outside the entrance to the cave????

Right on! It's called the instinct of self preservation. It's built in. Only PC conditioning can over ride it. Check out what's being taught to your children in your local schools. Even if you don't have children, it's a social responsibility. I think that police chief was being purely political. It would be interesting to hear what he would say if he knew he wouldn't be quoted.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    ...It is crass statements like this that make me wish for the proponent of such, to have to face an attack or home invasion - with no means of defence, and see how they feel then. This stuff is very rant-worthy but I'll stop there for now!
    The people who feel safe making such pronouncements, like this police chief, are usually exempt from the gun laws they impose on the rest of us. Even after retirement, this man will be exempt from most or all carry restrictions, so he will never know the vulnerability under which the people he serves must live...and he knows it.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Can I be on his jury?
    I live in Fla but I could commute.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

VIP Member
    +1 there Tom357!

Given Wilmette Police Chief Carpenter's comment that it's less safe to store a gun in one's home, then I'd like to see him secure his duty and/or any personal weapons at his workplace to "ensure the safety" of anyone at his residence and his community.....and then issue the same order to anyone under his command....and let's see how far that goes before he's taken to task by the PBA (or reasonable facsimile) that represents the rank-and-file at his department.

But since what's good for the goose is never good for the gander when it comes to gun control advocates, his officers can rest easy.

I, of course, do not mean this as a slam against the entire Wilmette PD, I see this as another case of a hypocritical law enforcement officer who is disobeying part of the oath that all LEOs (like myself) took: to defend and/or protect the Constitution.

Good luck Mr. DeMar!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Links