Gillibrand to cosponsor gun legislation Part 2

This is a discussion on Gillibrand to cosponsor gun legislation Part 2 within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Rachel McEneny, a spokeswoman for U.S. Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-Greenport, provided the following additional information about gun legislation the congresswoman will cosponsor: "The Second Amendment ...

Thread: Gillibrand to cosponsor gun legislation Part 2

Lightbulb Gillibrand to cosponsor gun legislation Part 2

Rachel McEneny, a spokeswoman for U.S. Rep. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-Greenport, provided the following additional information about gun legislation the congresswoman will cosponsor: "The Second Amendment Enforcement Act will be voted on in September. Specifically, this legislation would:

(1) Repeal of the D.C. Semiautomatic Ban
    (2) Restore the Right of Self Defense in the Home
    (3) Authorizes Purchases of Firearms by DC residents and
    (4) Repeals Overly Restrictive Registration Requirements

Jacob J. Rieper, Vice President of Legislative & Political Affairs
    New York State Rifle & Pistol Association
    New York State Rifle & Pistol Association
    RPA-PAC
    Yahoo! Messenger ID: nyrkba
    ARTICLE

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Well, I like the title.

Good for them for stepping in.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    I like what I see so far. But I'm always cautious when I see a gun bill even partially sponsored by a Democrat.
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

There are some Dem pro-gunners...but hard to find.
    Hope this passes and sends a message to the D.C. mayor and his cronies.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

"(2) Restore the Right of Self Defense in the Home"

What about the right of self-defense on the street and in your car?

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
    "(2) Restore the Right of Self Defense in the Home"

What about the right of self-defense on the street and in your car?
    Ever play the game Jenga?

It has always appeared to me that writing laws, any law, is much like that game. The larger and larger you make it, the less and less support you have at the foundation.

Go too high, or ask too much and the whole thing falls apart.
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    Ever play the game Jenga?

It has always appeared to me that writing laws, any law, is much like that game. The larger and larger you make it, the less and less support you have at the foundation.

Go too high, or ask too much and the whole thing falls apart.
    The problems isn't going to high. The Heller decision doesn't limit self-defense to the home. The proposed legislation takes the gains made in that decision down a rung on the ladder to limiting self-defense to the home.

Any proposed legislation should build on Heller using the same language. Changing the wording from "such as self-defense within the home" to simply "self-defense in the home" is a step upwards or sideways but a backwards.

Representative Kirsten Gillibrand

Protecting 2nd Amendment Rights- Promoting Hunting and Fishing

I, like many natives of Upstate New York, grew up in a hunting family and own a gun. I learned at an early age how to safely handle a gun and I believe that every law-abiding citizen should always have the right to own arms.

The Second Amendment of the Constitution prohibits the federal government from denying law-abiding citizens the right to keep and bear arms. And I intend to uphold this right through my votes and actions in Congress.

In September of 2007, I introduced a resolution to make Hunting and Fishing Day - the 4th Saturday in September - a nationally recognized holiday. I have also cosponsored a resolution to recognize hunters for their continued commitment to safety.

In Congress I have also sponsored measures to protect and open up more federal land for conservation programs that will promote and allow hunters and fishermen to enjoy their passion for the outdoors.

However, I also believe that we must do more to enforce of current laws to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and persons with violent mental instability. Keeping our streets and communities safe is important to all of us, and lawbreakers need to know that they will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law if they illegally seek to own or possess weapons.

That is why I supported the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Improvement Act (HR 2640) to provide incentives to states to update the Brady background check system to ensure that current laws are upheld as efficiently as possible. This was a common sense - bipartisan bill that was supported by the National Rifle Association (NRA) and The Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.
    WEBSITE

I sometimes see myself as a gun-carrying democrat ;-) (no... I am not an elected official)

The one problem I have with this: I don't like the fact how congress keeps playing the baby-sitter for DC. Let DC make their own decision and keep them accountable for it. Even if they are outright stupid. With the system we have right now, DC always has an easy way out to blame the government.

Otherwise: I agree with other comments that this bill sounds like it is as much as one could ask for at this time. And yes, that's one reason why I would make a lousy politicians... I could never deal with all the deal-making. In the end, its the deals and compromisses that make democracy work.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

Links