New York Mayor, Illinois Congressman Tout Gun Bill

This is a discussion on New York Mayor, Illinois Congressman Tout Gun Bill within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg was in Chicago on Monday working with area mayors to draft legislation to keep illegal guns off the streets. NBC5's ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New York Mayor, Illinois Congressman Tout Gun Bill

New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg was in Chicago on Monday working with area mayors to draft legislation to keep illegal guns off the streets.

NBC5's Rob Stafford reported that there is a loophole in federal gun laws that allows gun dealers to sell off their inventory without doing background checks on customers -- known as the "fire sale loophole."

The loophole applies to gun dealers who have had their licenses revoked, and some lawmakers said those are the last people who should be selling guns to buyers who have not been checked out.

"It is not unreasonable to say when a gun dealer loses their license, they shouldn't be able to just go and sell their guns on streets to anybody," Bloomberg said. "To children, to criminals -- to anybody."

Rep. Mark Kirk of Illinois, who introduced the bill, said one of the most alarming examples of the loophole occurred in suburban Chicago, where a gun shop license was revoked in 2005, and a number of guns were sold off and later confiscated during a drug and violent crime investigations.

Kirk said his bill has bipartisan support, and is now pending in Washington. Kirk said he would push for Congress to pass the bill this fall.
    ARTICLE

Senior Moderator
    Honestly, I have no issue with this at all - provided that this is all the bill does.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Honestly, I have no issue with this at all - provided that this is all the bill does.

Matt
    I'd bet your pay check that is not all that bill will contain...But, I don't mind closing a loop hole on dealers that have lost their licence.
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws would have guns.

Not actually knowing what the law is, if it is the way that it is stated in the article, when a dealer looses his license he can just dump the guns, even to individuals without background checks, then that does seem like a pretty ignorant loophole.

The only thing that comes to mind is that if he is then considered a private individual (after his license has been revoked) and the guns are considered personal property, then I guess he would be allowed to sell them just as you or it would to private parties. This however does raise the question, if we don't agree with this specific loophole for dealers who have had their licenses revoked, how can we say there isn't a gun show loophole for private sellers?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Moderator
    (Caution, unpopular viewpoint follows)

I'm somewhat in favor of requiring all transfers between unrelated parties to go through an FFL on a 4473.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I'm somewhat in favor of requiring all transfers between unrelated parties to go through an FFL on a 4473.

Matt

Yes, that is sure to be an unpopular viewpoint.

Private sale is just that, private sale, and one I fully support. It's nobody's business what I buy, is my opinion.

Biker

Matt
    I agree.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Totally,
    Disagree with ALL of the above. Anything with Bloomberg's name behind it and guns has a agenda. It may not even be the agenda from the bill it maybe just so he can build a gun regulation bill passing resume.

Matt Larson,
    Your right very unpopular. I think that personal property is just that personal property you should be able to do with it as you please. The reason is ATF has NO standard therefore the more information they collect the more non standardization, free rain, and information the ATF has. ATF has proven time and time they are not trust worthy, there not there to help but to disrupt, infringe, and even in extreme cases, throw US citizens in jail for a manufactur defect or in some cases just murder US citizens. Knowledge is Power, and given an agency with its track record more power makes no sense.
    Last edited by Rob99VMI04; August 19th, 2008 at 03:40 PM.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array Siafu's Avatar
    I am all for fire-sales. And Rob99VMI04 is right, anything associated to Bloomberg has a hidden agenda. He is a libs lib.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Yeah, I am not going to trust anything with Bloomberg's name on it either, but does anybody know if the 'loophole' as described is accurate? That does seem strange.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Someones going to have to show me where this "loop hole" really exists. For now I remain unconvinced that it even exists. It surely does not sound like it would exist.

For all we're concerned this loophole may not even exist.

I don't like when govt. gets involved when a private party sells a car, so i am not for this either.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

I've never heard of this loophole before now. Something doesn't sound right.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Ok, after doing some further research, I think I was right in my assumption from the first post. Hey I might have gotten something right for once.

After looking at the web site for the mayors group, here is a link to the article where they are saying dealers with revoked licenses were allowed to sell the guns that were in their inventory.

Mayors Against Illegal Guns - Dealer Firesales

Here is the portion of code section 27 that is applicable.

Section

Although the way that I read it, they must keep them as personal firearms for over one year prior to sale. Sounds like the loophole is there somewhat, but the ATF is not making them follow the letter of the law.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Well if they really want to get "illegal guns" off the street, they should push to repeal every restriction there is on the sale and ownership of weapons. That way, there would be no such thing as an "illegal gun" and therefore the problem would be solved!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links