Defensive Carry banner

City stares down Virginia gun seller

802 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  ocrtech 
#1 ·
The city has reached a tentative settlement with a Virginia gun shop - the last of the 27 dealers it sued for selling firearms to straw buyers.

Bob Moates' Sport Shop agreed to make changes in it's sales practices but will not be subject to surveillance and monitoring by a special master like the other gun retailers that settled, city attorney Ari Biernoff said Thursday.

The federal case accused firearms dealers in Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia of contributing to gun violence in New York City by selling guns to straw purchasers who convey them to criminals.

A gun control group in Virginia had found that Moates sold 22 guns used in crimes and recovered by the NYPD between 1994 and 2002.

Moates told the Daily News Thursday he settled the case "for peace of mind."

"Mayor Bloomberg probably thought he was doing the right thing, but not in my opinion," Moates said. "I didn't do anything wrong, and the fact that guns made there way up to New York City is not in my control."

Jury selection in Brooklyn Federal Court for Moates' trial was scheduled for next month.

The city settled with 21 gun shops, while three others defaulted and three cases were dismissed.
City stares down Virginia gun seller

#2 ·
I bet they (Bloomberg and pals) feel soo good about themselves. I feel bad for Bob...but glad it is over. I wonder how they swung the no special master deal?

#3 ·
I have no love for firearm dealers that sell to straw buyers. They ruin it for everyone else. The idea that those firearms are involved in crimes or even murder frosts my butt. If, indeed, those sales were done intentionally, they should stand trial themselves.

#4 ·
This case was more than just about straw gun purchases. Like most things politicians do, it was mostly about politics. A NY city mayor hiring private detectives to try and make straw gun purchases at high volume gun shops outside of both his city and state. He was trying to make a point to a certain fedral agency and round up support for his coalition of mayors. He also seemed to be trying to make points with voters nation wide. Makes you wonder why.

I recall hearing that Virginia passed a law shortly thereafter preventing these kinds of games and sent a nice note to the Mayor letting him know :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.