Man with guns arrested at Pelosi's Hotel?

This is a discussion on Man with guns arrested at Pelosi's Hotel? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs My take on it is that he is a putz , a harmless one almost certainly, but none the less ...

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Man with guns arrested at Pelosi's Hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    My take on it is that he is a putz , a harmless one almost certainly, but none the less in the shallow end of the gene pool . You just dont cart a couple of rifles , and a couple of handguns into ANY hotel lobby at a time and place like that .
    Do you know how big Denver is? I don't know how close this hotel is to the convention, but Denver is a big city. Unless the convention was in that specific hotel, I don't think I would have done anything different then I do at any hotel I go to with a hunting rifle, etc. I don't think it is fair to call him a "putz" because of this.

Glad I don't live in Colorado, this is liable to cost them some money.

2. Remove Ads

...My take on it is that he is a putz , a harmless one almost certainly, but none the less in the shallow end of the gene pool .
    If he is a harmless putz what is the charge, wreckless putzerry? Anyone who isn't cognizant of everything YOU think he should be he's a putz.

You just dont cart a couple of rifles , and a couple of handguns into ANY hotel lobby at a time and place like that .
    A time and place like what? A hotel, open to the public during business hours? I see how this guy is looking so stupid NOW.

Dont tell me about his rights
    WHY NOT? I guess when he applied for his hunting permit they forgot to tell him that hunting was cancelled.

i am speaking to common sense .
    Who's Common Sense? Yours which says everyone must be aware of everything?

Check in , get your key , park the car , and then take the guns to your room bypassing the lobby ( i for one dont even want the front desk to know what i have in the room,
    So, its your way or no other? I hope no one finds fault with the way YOU follow the law?

Now on to the LE response .. I am aghast at the lack of sense and the " selective enforcement" shown here . Folks bring thousands of guns to the hotels of denver every year ( fly in elk hunters ect.. ) and have them in hotel rooms with no problems , and no charges . The charges will never stick , but either the SS or miss nancy wanted this fella locked up as an example , and someone at the local level dropped the ball by being to accommodating to one out of town visitor over another . I truly hope that the NRA is all over this both in the press and in the courtroom .
    If you arrest someone without valid charges who's the putz?

Joseph Calanchini ( whom i labeled putz ) is a apparently a former Marine who if i recall what i read right got out with a good discharge as a corporal. I strongly suspect that he would harshly disagree with Nancy but he did already serve to insure that she can have and voice any opinion she wants . He might not be too bright ( imho )
    Following the law not too bright? Guess he should have just opened the cases and dragged the weapons by the straps so everyone could see he was carry weapons.

IMHO a good butt chewing , and a strong suggestion to either find another hotel , or have the desk put them in the safe would have been in order .
    Butt chewing now the JOB of LE? Under CO statute x, I unilaterally chew your butt, you have no rights just shutup and take it like a man.

Now however the protesters/terrs know where Nancy is or was staying because its all over the press .
    And this is the good guy's fault? Oh, I see they could not have just let him check in and cling to his guns and religion?
    Good job to all the LE involved , Yall really impressed this old cop with your performance on this issue, and btw Denver Officers involved , good luck with that retirement since SS will now deny any concerns and it was YOUR fine idea to cart a citizen off to jail.
    Now he's a citizen. As a putz he's has no rights except a butt chewing for not following politics.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ok lol one at a time and in order guys , i knew and intended to stur the pot with my post , it is none the less my opinion and lets see if i can clear up some of my inarticulate ramble .

Isnt everything you are saying in this post kind of blaspheme being that you are a former cop?

Is that how you would have acted, because the SS "SAID SO"?
    Much of what i say is as you put it " kind of blaspheme being that you are a former cop?" My day of LE is happily behind me , and the country . I was a " transitional " cop , the bridge between the " old school " and the new school of LE . Old school kept safe towns at a price , We transitional officers paid more heed to the reality of changing scociety than the old schoolers and now are a retiring breed ( makes us the " old school nowadays huh lol ) . New School officers are much more about policy, being PC , and the states idea of the " job " no matter the folks you are privileged to police ( police here is a verb ) . So yea nowadays i am somewhat a heretic since i believe both in officer descression and " common sense " policing . To the next well i believe you can see my opinion in the original post . If the SS had a concern given the facts i have well then its their problem and neither me nor my agency need to arrest this poor fella , if they do fine , i will be witness to all , for either side .
    You are going to scold a guy who goes to the counter (NOT breaking any laws mind you)
    Unless like has already been mentioned a locked pistol applies, and tell him to have his weapons locked up, when he LEGALLY has a roght to store them in his room??
    Yes i am going to scold him . His unthinking actions put all of us gunowners back to the " Yahoo rednecks in flannel shirts " perception . come on he tried to fly that he had " no idea " that it was DNC in denver because " he dont watch the news " . Everyone charged needs a defense , but he needs to re think his and go to Prove i did wrong , not this crap .

Finally i am glad to find you can find something to agree with lol . Best to you and yours mlakrid tho i fear in issues of " common sense " and " selective enforcement " we may make a hobby of disagreeing LOL .

Tye_Defender i will attempt to answer you here also rather than a new post .
    Do you know how big Denver is? I don't know how close this hotel is to the convention, but Denver is a big city. Unless the convention was in that specific hotel, I don't think I would have done anything different then I do at any hotel I go to with a hunting rifle, etc. I don't think it is fair to call him a "putz" because of this.
    Pelosi was at that specific hotel , which incited the entire thing . If you re read my comments i called him a putz not because he did an illegal thing rather because he did a stupid thing and then imho told a stupid fib that got quoted . As sated i have no issue with his rifles/pistols , i dont care that the DNC is in town ( but then neither did he because the " i did not know " defense dont fly , he knew and his defense should be that he did nothing wrong no matter who else is there unless and untill the feds and denver set up a " secure zone " as required in the colorado ccw statute . I firmly belive he had no idea who might be at the hotel the day he checked in , i also firmly belive he was aware that the dnc was going on and chose to check into a nice place where one could logically assume given the lack of " nice places " in denver proper someone who has SS protection would be staying . It was a simple brain fart on his part , and as the post above states i hope the nra jumps on it . He IMHO is a putz , he is imho also a legal putz but none the less he cant plea common sense for THIS visit to denver . BTW i hope his issues are resolved and his firearms returned for him to make his booked african hunt ( which is why he had rifles at the smith in denver in the first place ) .

Folks like it or not there is " legal " there is " illegal " and today there is " felony stupid " . We all have plaid our part to bring our nation to this being " OK " . The next time you see anyone demand the " cops " do something about an issue , or just privately think that " there outa be a law " about any issue , remember this story . A fella who just wanted to have a hunt of a lifetime , and was responsible in getting his rifles tuned up by the best smith ( in his opinion ) in at least a two state area now sets in jail on a 10K bond because another visitor from the city is " more important " I suspect some young colorado officer is now qualified to operate the counter at the local stop and rob because he did what someone told him with blind faith that they were right . No one wins on this case .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Next time, stay at the Holiday Inn Express.
    Warning: Driver only carries $20 worth of ammunition.

rolyat63 I am sorry i posted before your post , You sir are of course entitled to your opinion , and are welcome to make me out as a bad guy . It is apparent sir that your view of this contradicts mine . I will just ask that you help me in finding how to support this " putz " either by making bail or by supporting the defense . I strongly feel he his a fool , but i will put my $$ where my mouth is if i can find how to do it in saying he is a foolish gunowner who broke no laws . I am sure you will do the same by kicking a hundred or so for his defense as i will .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

... i knew and intended to stur the pot with my post , it is none the less my opinion and lets see if i can clear up some of my inarticulate ramble...
    I never said it was inarticulate, but I do NOT agree with alot of what you said...

...My day of LE is happily behind me , and the country . I was a " transitional " cop , the bridge between the " old school " and the new school of LE . ... New School officers are much more about policy, being PC , and the states idea of the " job " no matter the folks you are privileged to police ( police here is a verb ) . So yea nowadays i am somewhat a heretic since i believe both in officer descression and " common sense " policing.
    What is "common sense policing"?

There is no such thing, the difference you and I see is simple... you see common sense as a virtue... it isnt, you either have common sense or you don't..

HOWEVER, that is WHY we have laws... so no matter how STUPID you are, you KNOW what you are doing is either Legal or ILLEGAL... what he did, by what I can read was LEGAL... end of story let the guy go... Like I said this is a WET DREAM in Lawsuit Heaven...

If a New school cop came upon this you would hope he would know what the guy did was either legal or illegal... If the DA accepts to prosecute, they look like the Villains... I hope someone in the legal system sees the absurdity of this case and throws it out...

To the next well i believe you can see my opinion in the original post . If the SS had a concern given the facts i have well then its their problem and neither me nor my agency need to arrest this poor fella , if they do fine , i will be witness to all , for either side .
    Why would you be a witness?
    Why not explain to the SS that he did nothing ILLEGAL??

THE ONLY THING I could see agreeing with would be to take his guns away until you can PROVE what he did was illegal, charging him uneccesarily is nonsense...

Yes i am going to scold him . His unthinking actions put all of us gunowners back to the " Yahoo rednecks in flannel shirts " perception . come on he tried to fly that he had " no idea " that it was DNC in denver because " he dont watch the news " . Everyone charged needs a defense , but he needs to re think his and go to Prove i did wrong , not this crap .
    Again, what he did was LEGAL... the bolded portion I agree with, and I would have called the local news, held a conference and made Pelosi and the S.S. answer a bunch of general 2nd ammendment rights questions... think they would actually come?? HELL NO!!! How can you scold someone for doing something within his legal rights?

Finally i am glad to find you can find something to agree with lol . Best to you and yours mlakrid tho i fear in issues of " common sense " and " selective enforcement " we may make a hobby of disagreeing LOL .
    Last time I checked "selective enforcement" is illegal in and of itself...

There is ILLEGAL and LEGAL... I think you see clearly where my mindset is...

I would make it VERY CLEAR if I was ever to be in this situation, that I was sueing unless the released me and dropped all charges immediately... I am SURE the ACLU would be glad to take this up in court, AGAIN...provided everything he did was LEGAL... only time will tell... we need all of the facts of the case...

...As sated i have no issue with his rifles/pistols , i dont care that the DNC is in town ( but then neither did he because the " i did not know " defense dont fly ...
    Again... why not?
    If he did nothing illegal, then does the fact that SS and an alternate reality of the "DEM CONVENTION" is within city limits, which changes our current space time continuim, thus changing our current laws?

Of course this is all sarcasm if no one could tell... Everyone knows the laws in every space time continuim are the same...

his defense should be that he did nothing wrong no matter who else is there unless and untill the feds and denver set up a " secure zone " as required in the colorado ccw statute . I firmly belive he had no idea who might be at the hotel the day he checked in , i also firmly belive he was aware that the dnc was going on and chose to check into a nice place where one could logically assume given the lack of " nice places " in denver proper someone who has SS protection would be staying . It was a simple brain fart on his part , and as the post above states i hope the nra jumps on it . He IMHO is a putz , he is imho also a legal putz but none the less he cant plea common sense for THIS visit to denver . BTW i hope his issues are resolved and his firearms returned for him to make his booked african hunt ( which is why he had rifles at the smith in denver in the first place ) .
    I do too... likely he won't, but if they didnt have signs up, or have police to search people or warn them BEFORE they got into the hotel, then they have not a leg to stand on in my mind...

Folks like it or not there is " legal " there is " illegal " and today there is " felony stupid " . We all have plaid our part to bring our nation to this being " OK " . The next time you see anyone demand the " cops " do something about an issue , or just privately think that " there outa be a law " about any issue , remember this story . A fella who just wanted to have a hunt of a lifetime , and was responsible in getting his rifles tuned up by the best smith ( in his opinion ) in at least a two state area now sets in jail on a 10K bond because another visitor from the city is " more important " I suspect some young colorado officer is now qualified to operate the counter at the local stop and rob because he did what someone told him with blind faith that they were right .
    Only time will tell... But last I checked there are no statutes for "Felony Stupid".... Im just sayin...

No one wins on this case .
    Wanna make a wager on this?

I WILL with 2 provisions:

1) he was legally carrying all weapons
    2) that he doesnt have a felony record voiding EVERYTHING I have said previous...

BETS ANYONE??

V/R,

Mike A!
    Land O Lakes, FL

...and are welcome to make me out as a bad guy .
    Never said you were the bad guy or even a putz.
    It is apparent sir that your view of this contradicts mine .
    YOUR opinion contradicts YOU!
    ... I am sure you will do the same by kicking a hundred or so for his defense as i will .

Well, your mind reading, truth detecting, former LE intuition has failed you. I will not be ponying up a dime for his defense.

[QUOTE=Redneck Repairs;826660]...Old school kept safe towns at a price [QUOTE]
    If by old school price you mean we violated a few (putzs) rights for the many then "old school" is wrong.

... New School officers are much more about policy, ... and the states idea of the " job "...
    Yep, thats what I thought you were saying policy smolicy I was elected, no, no hired to decide who gets what punishment.

... Yahoo rednecks in flannel shirts
    It's too warm here for us rednecks to wear flannel.
    ... come on he tried to fly that he had " no idea " that it was DNC in denver because " he dont watch the news ".
    Old School Ideals Again

... Prove i did wrong , not this crap .
    Agreed, keep your mouth shut let your lawayer talk.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

Man i seem to have a big stick to stur the pot on this issue . Ill take the issues as i remember them ( feel free to accuse me of any kind of low hanging fruit idea) .
    Frist off i brought up " old school ", "transitional " and " new school" in LE . While i was in LE i was " transitional " , nowadays i would be considered old school . I freely admit that i used " selective " enforcement , just as i was taught . In many cases this put me at odds with the " old school " officers who thought i should have been more " proactive " in my job . In later days when i was the FTO some of what i did put the " new school " officers aghast because i could not " legally " do what i did . I worked LE a bit , I have been the fella who run and investigated homicide cases , rape cases , burglary cases , and serials of all except homicide, never thank god saw one of them critters . I supervised officers , some i would just as soon fired but not my choice . The worst legitimate complaint against me is that i was present ( just ) when a kid ( 19 yrs old ) shot an sks in a safe direction ( hey i did investigate ) to run off a stalker . the stalker called the fbi and i got the joy of explaining my actions . The fbi's special agent ( i had worked with and known most of the local agents )from headquarters did say that i should have seized all folkes guns . However he could not give me PC to do so , he was " new " . Now i have been thro the first stages of a federal investigation simply because someone did not like what i did . With this hindsight i call this fella a " putz " . He likely violated no laws other than the law that some citizens are more equil than others . Still he is either stupid or grandstanding . None the less i will kick some bucks for him if and when i can . Ill help with bond , ill help more with defense if it comes to that .
    Take what you will , i feel his actions were ill considered . I will however support the fool , because if i dont no one needs to .

For any questions that this did not answer please post a thread on the question and if you dont mind pm me the thread . I promise i will answer but if i dont have a reason i dont check this board every day , much less argue here lol . This is not to take the issues out of the public eye , it is simply because as of now we have had a bit of " thread drift " on this thread .

VIP Member
    This is all an unfortunate situation handled badly by all.

The guy arrested should have used some sense, per Redneck Repairs comments.

Even if all is actually totally legal, just doing what he did added to the burden of those responsible for keeping the big folks safe.

OTOH, arresting the guy on make believe charges (if that is what occurred) is far more wrong.

P.S. I have heard of folks being arrested for taking photographs out in the open of things like bridges. Also, no doubt in the absence of statute. We aren't yet the old Soviet Union, though our present admin tries to bring us there as quickly as they can row the boat.

Now, somewhere in the thread above there is a comment that he is being held on 10K bail. Would that not imply that someone reviewed the charge, determined that he is charged under an existing statute, and then set bond?

If what was done was in fact totally legal, and given that this guy had the bucks for a hunting trip to Africa, you can bet the lawyers will be filing suits against all involved before the next news cycle passes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Now, somewhere in the thread above there is a comment that he is being held on 10K bail. Would that not imply that someone reviewed the charge, determined that he is charged under an existing statute, and then set bond?
    You can always be charged with something. In this case, I think it is a concealed weapons charge, since the guns were "concealed" in gun cases. At least, that's what it seems from the press coverage so far. We'll see.

That is crazy. When I am traveling to a match I ALWAYS bring my guns up to the room with me at night. Who would want to leave a few thousand dollars in gear sitting outside with just a pane of glass protecting it?

VIP Member

perversion of the concealed carry law

Quote Originally Posted by Tye_Defender View Post
    You can always be charged with something. In this case, I think it is a concealed weapons charge, since the guns were "concealed" in gun cases. At least, that's what it seems from the press coverage so far. We'll see.
    Well that would be quite a perversion and misuse of the statute...and a fairly CYA or vindictive approach.

If true, shame on the DA.

i hope he sues everyone involed in this

Sorry but NO , that is the bond scedule which enables the SO to bond some folks without a court appearance . That is the sum of the " ideal " charges running down the bond schedule . Depending on what Judge he faces here the judge may do anything from saying " go to hell home kid , your not a danger and may cross state lines " to give me 10k or more in cash because your a flight risk . Any and all are within the perview of a district judge in colorado . What the judge may not do right now is dismiss charges ( they may do that later but not yet ) . The " putz " has some hoops to jump thro legaly no matter him being in the legal right . He is as of now charged , bondable , and that is life . IMHO its a bs case and i hope him and the NRA ... come on NRA buy inn .... lol can and will recoup damages . He was still uninformed at best to attempt to check inn THERE with firearms in tow . That is not my attitude , but it is my view . He did nothing for us , some of us will help pay his bill because he was not in the " wrong " . For myself i think he is a fool . however ill kick a hundred bucks or so for his defense simply because he is a fool and he ment no harm .. no harm no fowell . He simply wanted to hunt Africa or what is left of it , he ment no harm to anyone . Ill cuss his bad choices , and support him overall .

i don't understand what the problem is. he was legally transporting firearms. why was he arrested?

can you spell L-A-W-S-U-I-T?

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links