Man with guns arrested at Pelosi's Hotel?

This is a discussion on Man with guns arrested at Pelosi's Hotel? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is CO an Open carry state? Next time just sling them over the shoulder. Seriously, a cased rifle is nothing more than a piece of ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Man with guns arrested at Pelosi's Hotel?

Is CO an Open carry state? Next time just sling them over the shoulder.

Seriously, a cased rifle is nothing more than a piece of baggage, no different than the one with my toothbrush. Unless there is some ridiculous law to the contrary.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

In looking around the Colorado Bureau of Investigation web site, I can find only two possibilities that MAY have allowed him to be charged. (Note the word MAY)

18-12-105. Unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon - unlawful possession of weapons.

(1) A person commits a class 2 misdemeanor if such person knowingly and unlawfully:

(b) Carries a firearm concealed on or about his or her person; or
    (Jump to annotation -- The words "about the person" means sufficiently close to the person to be readily accessible for immediate use. People in Interest of R.J.A., 38 Colo. App. 346, 556 P.2d 491 (1976).)

(c) Without legal authority, carries, brings, or has in such person's possession a firearm or any explosive, incendiary, or other dangerous device on the property of or within any building in which the chambers, galleries, or offices of the general assembly, or either house thereof, are located, or in which a legislative hearing or meeting is being or is to be conducted, or in which the official office of any member, officer, or employee of the general assembly is located.

If this were the convention hotel, then the portion I highlighted under section C could possibly be used as a reason. If not the convention hotel but if several representatives were staying there and had arranged to meet, you could possibly stretch section C to cover that.

If they were in locked cases and unloaded, it would be a hard stretch to make the "sufficiently close to the person to be readily accessible for immediate use" annotation of section B applicable, but that may be what they are trying.

In any case, I hope he sues the tar out of them, wins huge and donates half of it to the NRA legal defense fund.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Unless it's illegal to have guns in your hotel room in Denver they have really violated that guys rights,but since has the government ever gave a rats behind about rights as long as they can throw up the term It's what is best for everybody
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Lord Pelosi owns a hotel?
    Actually she does! Just not that one.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I am not amazed that so many here think that our national leaders should not be protected. The Secret Service is doing their job, a difficut job we as Americans have entrusted to their expertise and judgement. Lee Harvey Oswald and Sirhan Sirhan were law abiding gun owners moments prior to the assassinations of the Kennedys. Hinckley was a law abiding gun owner, minding his own business, before he shot Reagan.

Whether he broke the law or not (and he was arrested so authorities determined he did break the law.) is irrelevant. What he did was really stupid. He confirmed it by denying knowledge of the Democratic Convention! Anyone so unaware of his surroundings and widely publicized national events is well, not to be pitied. Either that or he was lying.

However, what is more disturbing than the story, is the sue happy people on this forum.

I hope he sues ALL of them...
    Boy that guy could turn around and sue them because
    I hope he sues the holy snot out of those responsible
    you can bet the lawyers will be filing suits against all involved
    i hope he sues everyone involed in this
    can you spell L-A-W-S-U-I-T?
    In any case, I hope he sues the tar out of them
    Some people do not realize how much damage frivolous lawsuits cause to the judicial system. Our courts are clogged with ridiculous lawsuits; people wanting to get a government handout.

This is not a dissimilar situation to the open carry stories, where one of the [unspoken] goals is to be harrassed by law enforcement in hopes they can file a lawsuit or at very least, a badge of dishonor that we see promoted on internet forums. Some seem to have a problem discerning the difference between being annoyed and incovenienced with real harm and monetary damages.

My hope is that he had no ill intentions and was simply stupid. Further, I hope he learns a lesson from this incident if he is found not guilty. Sometimes, do something not illegal is not necessarily smart. And if he is found guilty he should become more aware of the law as he accepts his sentence.

Our national leaders deserve special protection. The Secret Service did a great job. :congrat

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I am not amazed that so many here think that our national leaders should not be protected. The Secret Service is doing their job, a difficut job we as Americans have entrusted to their expertise and judgement. Lee Harvey Oswald and Sirhan Sirhan were law abiding gun owhers moments prior to the assassinations of the Kennedy's. Hinckley was a law abiding gun owner, minding his own business, before he shot Reagan.

Whether he broke the law or not (and he was arrested so authorities determined he did break the law.) is irrelevant. What he did was really stupid. He confirmed it by denying knowledge of the Democratic Convention! Anyone so unaware of his surroundings and widely publicized national events is well, not to be pitied. Either that or he was lying.

However, what is more disturbing than the story, is the sue happy people on this forum.

Some people do not realize how much damage frivolous lawsuits cause to the judicial system. Our courts are clogged with ridiculous lawsuit; people wanting to get a government handout.

This is not a dissimilar situation to the open carry stories, where one of the [unspoken] goals is to be harrassed by law enforcement in hopes they can file a lawsuit or at very least, a badge of dishonor that we see prommoted on internet frums. Some seem to have a problem discerning the difference between being annoyed and incovenienced with real harm and monetary damages.

My hope is that he had no ill intentions and was simply stupid. Further, I hope he learns a lesson from this incident if he is found not guilty. Sometimes, do something not illegal is not necessarily smart. And if he is found guilty he should become more aware of the law as he accepts his sentence.

Our national leaders deserve special protection. The Secret Service did a great job.
    I guess if you get arrested for doing nothing illegal that's alright because somebody is doing their job,Hey I got an idea why don't they just make everybody turn in their guns that way their jobs would be much easier.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"

After reading the entire thread finally, I am going to have to agree with everyone on this to some extent, including Redneck. Yes the guy was legal to do what he did, but yes he was a putz.

I do have one question. Is it legal to carry long guns in Colorado? I know in Texas it is, I can pretty well go anywhere with a long gun, even a bar according to the law. Would it be smart to do that. Well you all can answer that for yourselves.

There are many things that we could do that are within the law, that we don't because they don't make any sense. This guy had to know what was going on in Denver even if he doesn't watch the news. Does anyone think that there weren't an unusually large number of people on the plane, at the airport, along the road, at the hotel, on the street, with Obama, or Democrat signs.

When I was around Chicago this summer it didn't take me very long to figure out that there was a gay pride parade going on the day we went into the city to a museum. The train kinda filled up with rainbow folks. It doesn't take more than a little common sense to figure some things out.

For those that think this is a total outrage, well your right, it is, and even Redneck pretty much agrees with everyone on that, but then again, the rest of you all have to agree a bit that this guy is a putz also. Just because something is legal, doesn't mean one should do it.

Would anyone be outraged if one of us from Texas was picked up if we were walking with a long gun someplace close to where Bush was staying or visiting. It would probably be perfectly legal to do so, but wouldn't be a very smart thing to do.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I am not amazed that so many here think that our national leaders should not be protected. The Secret Service is doing their job, a difficut job we as Americans have entrusted to their expertise and judgement. Lee Harvey Oswald and Sirhan Sirhan were law abiding gun owhers moments prior to the assassinations of the Kennedy's. Hinckley was a law abiding gun owner, minding his own business, before he shot Reagan.

Some people do not realize how much damage frivolous lawsuits cause to the judicial system. Our courts are clogged with ridiculous lawsuit; people wanting to get a government handout.

This is not a dissimilar situation to the open carry stories, where one of the [unspoken] goals is to be harrassed by law enforcement in hopes they can file a lawsuit or at very least, a badge of dishonor that we see prommoted on internet frums. Some seem to have a problem discerning the difference between being annoyed and incovenienced with real harm and monetary damages.

Our national leaders deserve special protection. The Secret Service did a great job.
    No they don't. They deserve no other protection than the rest of us. Perhaps if it were a level "playing field" they wouldn't be so keen to attempt to get the rest of us dead by any means "legally" necessary short of outright murder. All that extra "special" protection does nothing but serve to blow up their already larger than normal "us high and mighty vs those other common folk" mentality. Sorry, but I have absolutely NO RESPECT WHATSOEVER for those damn fool politicos that expect us all to bow at their feet all the while protected by us and denying us that same right for ourselves. They can .

As far as the frivolous lawsuits...I hate them as much as you if not more, but it remains to be seen whether or not they're frivolous. If he was indeed doing NOTHING ILLEGAL, then I say there's nothing frivolous about the suits(under the assumption that if true, he is not awarded anything more than what he lost due to time incarcerated, cover all expenses, plus a bit of "hey we fouled up" out of pocket from all involved).
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Super over reaction to what should have been a NON-ISSUE. IF you want to see literally HUNDREDS of folks, both residents and non residents carrying guns of all kinds and types associated with the OLD West in cases inside a major hotel in Orlando, FL, then be here for our FL State SASS Cowboy Action Match. Heck we even dress funny too and many look quite ornery and questionable. Folks either eagerly ask what's going on or quickly run the over way!! The hotel loves us, as we SPEND a LOT of money in their hotel that week. I suppose the Denver PD is on high alert with all those democrats in town and were being OVERLY cautious. Of course the media tends NOT to get the whole story or even the correct details most times. Probably more to this than made it's way into the report.

Colorado as a whole was an open carry state until the Meyers decision somewhere in 2003 or 2004. The compromise was that Denver would leave CCW holders alone in all accounts, but Denver could limit open carry in parks, public areas, buildings, etc as long as it was very explicitly posted.

I'm sure the hotel was posted correctly. The guy arrested did not have a valid CCW so the two pistols were a problem because they were in his luggage and were not visible. The two rifles were legal and he is in no trouble over the rifles. I believe if the two pistols were in gun cases only he would be legal. It's rare to see open carry in downtown Denver because the DPD would hassle you over something the entire time. They are afraid of scaring the sheep visiting and they feel the visitors will spend more money that the gun crowd.

I don't blame DPD for checking him out, but they should never have arrested him. I don't believe Lee Harvey Oswald checked into a hotel carry his rifle in a case. He should have bought a golf case like you use for air travel and put both rifles in it. Nobody is scare of golf clubs, although I bet just as many ppl are killed with golf clubs as "assault" rifles.

There was also a guy arrested in Aurora with two rifles and both had "scopes". I wonder if they were "assault" scopes. He also had meth with him and a previous felony charge. It is apparent that he should go to jail, directly to jail, but for drug distro more than firearm possession. The 9News website implied that APD believed that someone cruising down the street at 3AM with a scope is automatically suspicious. They even tried to make it related to the DNC.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    SelfDefense:

If he was within his rights (i.e., obeying the law), why SHOULDN'T he sue (and be able to win) for having those rights violated?

If he was NOT within his rights, by the same token, I see no reason why he couldn't (shouldn't?) be prosecuted.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by randytulsa2 View Post
    SelfDefense:

If he was within his rights (i.e., obeying the law), why SHOULDN'T he sue (and be able to win) for having those rights violated?

If he was NOT within his rights, by the same token, I see no reason why he couldn't (shouldn't?) be prosecuted.

It's the pistols that are in question. What if he was going into DIA with them in his luggage and stopped before he declared them at ticketing and didn't have a CCW?? He is effectively concealing them, but following the TSA rules of travel.

Maybe he should have stayed at a Motel 6 in Aurora, they would have left the light on. And he might have needed them!!!!

From what I hear, they had plans to shoot Obama. That's what my local news says anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    From what I hear, they had plans to shoot Obama. That's what my local news says anyway.
    I believe 100% everything a news show says ,when their main priority is to get viewers tuned in and will quote unnamed sources for their info

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I believe 100% everything a news show says ,when their main priority is to get viewers tuned in and will quote unnamed sources for their info
    We'll see soon enough.
    cbs4denver.com - Obama To Visit Denver Wednesday
    I'm just doing the math.
    Here's something of interest........may have been a connection? Maybe not?
    http://cbs4denver.com/investigates/a....2.802827.html

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links