Man with guns arrested at Pelosi's Hotel?

This is a discussion on Man with guns arrested at Pelosi's Hotel? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Ram Rod From what I hear, they had plans to shoot Obama. That's what my local news says anyway. There's more coming ...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Man with guns arrested at Pelosi's Hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    From what I hear, they had plans to shoot Obama. That's what my local news says anyway.
    There's more coming down on this. They had meth, walkie-talkies (that's so '70s), bullit proof vest, and a spotting scope. Sounds like they are three wannta be. So can somebody high on meth with no money to rent a helo, no club level box, and a scope that probally isn't even sighted in make a 750 yard shot????

These are just three idoits that need to be locked up for a long time. The rifles were stolen from Kansas.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    From what I hear, they had plans to shoot Obama. That's what my local news says anyway.
    Looked at the reports and I can't see anything that connects the subject of the OP to this alleged plot. If you have seen anything connecting Joseph Calanchini to a plot, I'd appreciate a link.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    I am not amazed that so many here think that our national leaders should not be protected.
    I haven't seen anyone say that our elected officials shouldn't be protected. However, the rest of us shouldn't have to renounce our Constitutional Rights for their protection. Their lives are no more valuable than anyones.

However, what is more disturbing than the story, is the sue happy people on this forum.

Some people do not realize how much damage frivolous lawsuits cause to the judicial system. Our courts are clogged with ridiculous lawsuits; people wanting to get a government handout.
    Suing because you spilled coffee in your own lap is frivolous. Suing a gun manufacturer because you shot yourself and the owner's manual didn't specifically tell you not to point the gun at yourself and pull the trigger is frivolous. Suing to protect your Constitutional Rights is NOT FRIVOLOUS and if you think it is, then feel free to give up your rights, but I won't and don't call me frivolous because I refuse to do so.

Our national leaders deserve special protection. The Secret Service did a great job. :congrat
    Protection; yes. Protection by violating the Constitution; ABSOLUTELY NOT. I don't particularly care how stupid this guy was. If it's proven that he broke a law, fine; throw the book at him. But, if it's proven that he broke NO law, I do hope he sues the tar out of everyone involved. My only regret is that any award will come from the public coffers and not out of the pockets of those responsible.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Looks like during a traffic stop local LEO spotted guns and bullet proof vest and alerted Feds,and when they tried to check into hotel were stopped and searched and drugs were found so I guess what it will boil down to is the search legal or was it unreasonable,which a judge will have to decide if a judge rules the search was illegal any fruits they got IE. drugs will be inadmissible as evidence
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I think we are mixing apples and oranges

As of now, there is NO LINK between the guy checking into the hotel and the dirtbags busted for meth and weapons violations.

As far as the "he had the handguns in his luggage and they were concealed; he didn't have a permit"---ummm, if you aren't carrying your firearms, how do you transport them? Granted, the reporting isn't detailed as we would like, but if my guns are not on me, they are locked in a hard case INSIDE my luggage.

Unless more information is provided...the arrest was bogus.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

The one thing someone pointed out on 9News website was the Colorado Law states that it is not a concealed handgun if it is not readily available. The law uses such words as about oneself, meaning carried on your person. It is legal and a concealed weapon if it is in your vehicle (loaded and hidden), unloaded in your luggage, cased (hard case locked), etc.

I had actually forgot about that clause in the CRS.

Yes we are mixing two stories, the guy arrested in the hotel was not in nay way related to the meth dudes. It is just two gun related arrest in Colorado and how they differed. One was resumable arrest the other bogus.

I'm all for detaining someone monetarily in a high profile situation, as long as you let go about their business once you figure the situation out. He should never have been arrested (assuming the pistol was cased ). So the moral of this story is get a CCW permit!!

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    So the moral of this story is get a CCW permit!!
    Yup. Prime example of how the abusive anti-gun positions and arrest shenanigans can be sidestepped via a simple card in the wallet. Reason enough, damnable and silly as that is.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    There's more coming down on this.

These are just three idoits that need to be locked up for a long time. The rifles were stolen from Kansas.
    Where did you find information on where the guns were from?
    You can't fix stupid. Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I think we are mixing apples and oranges.
    As of now, there is NO LINK between the guy checking into the hotel and the dirtbags busted for meth and weapons violations.
    Thank you. I'm reading all these posts that are mixing the details of two different stories.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM View Post
    Where did you find information on where the guns were from?
    Yup. Two different stories are going on:

1. The original topic of this thread was an apparent false arrest, involving someone named Joseph Calanchini, who was transporting a rifle and two handguns in a (unlocked/locked?) case into a hotel in which Pelosi was staying.

2. A second, unrelated situation was posted, which was an apparent plot to kill Obama, involving someone named Tharin Gartrell, stolen guns, false papers, meth.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    a strong suggestion to either find another hotel , or have the desk put them in the safe would have been in order.
    Isn't that what he was trying to do when he got arrested and why you concluded he is a putz
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    You just dont cart a couple of rifles , and a couple of handguns into ANY hotel lobby at a time and place like that . Dont tell me about his rights or the legality or lack there of of how he did it , i am speaking to common sense . Check in , get your key , park the car , and then take the guns to your room bypassing the lobby ( i for one dont even want the front desk to know what i have in the room,
    Can't have the clerk lock em in a safe if you don't go through the lobby to the front desk so the clerk can put them in the safe.

I do get the general gist of your post though and don't disagree
    with the sentiment. Not the best planning on the guys part but illegal and immoral conduct by the SS & PD
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I have a question. If the article read, man with guns arrested at Bush's/Cheney's hotel, would everyone be making the same comments as they are currently in this post. Would you all be saying that their should be a lawsuit, people should loose their jobs, there was a violation of constitutional rights, etc?

Pelosi, or whomever is the speaker of the house, is the third in line for the presidency and if given secret service protection, the secret service regulations or authority are the same regarding her or anyone else they are charged with protecting as they are for the president or vice president from my understanding.

So again, if the guy had entered Bush's hotel with the guns in tow, would everyone be outraged or would they be saying wow, what a moron?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    If the article read, man with guns arrested at Bush's/Cheney's hotel, ...
    If the charges are specious, what's the difference? (Though, the folks doing the charging haven't yet publicly acknowledged the disparity between the charge and the Colorado law.)

IMO, if and only if there was indeed an overt threat posed should a person be jumped on. If, that is, equal protection under the law applies.

if the guy had entered Bush's hotel with the guns in tow ...
    It wouldn't be BUSH's hotel, anymore than this was Pelosi's hotel. And "in tow" leave so much open to conjecture. If as reported (and charged), the man had a case with a couple of firearms, Colorado law supports this, and failure to read the newspapers is not cause for claims of a crime.
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have a question. If the article read, man with guns arrested at Bush's/Cheney's hotel, would everyone be making the same comments as they are currently in this post.
    I would

Would you all be saying that their should be a lawsuit, people should loose their jobs, there was a violation of constitutional rights, etc?
    I would say it if someone had their rights trampled.

the secret service regulations or authority are the same regarding her or anyone else they are charged with protecting as they are for the president or vice president from my understanding.
    Any regulation to break the law is illegal no matter who the players are. Even if the protectee was the "putz" and it was the Einstein who entered into a PUBLIC hotel, OPEN for business with a cart full of boxed weapons.

So again, if the guy had entered Bush's hotel with the guns in tow, would everyone be outraged or would they be saying wow, what a moron?
    So, Yes again I am outraged not by the fact the Speaker was in the Hotel but LE which in this case is the locals, USSS and possibly more agencies apparently arrested a man for trying to find a hotel and not leaving weapons unattended in his car. That too would have been leagal but I suppose if someone whom was keenly alert, had situational awareness and spotted his legal weapon in the same state with the protectee and called it in he likely would have been arrested for that too. Felony Ignorance I suppose for not knowing what the "herd" knew but for something he has every right to not know and many people choose not to participate.

For the threads where they say "it's his handguns. If you have your handgun in OEM box or a suitcase what is the difference? Certainly the guns may be obscured by the contents of the suitcase but so too could a gun in a gun case ( I keep an oil rag in mine). If it is illegal in the suitcase then is the carrier whom delivers this package guilty of driving a concealed weapon around town or heaven forbid he accidently takes the wrong package into "the" hotel before he gets to the gun store down the street. Heck the driver surely knows of the DNC and should have known better huh?
    Last edited by rolyat63; August 26th, 2008 at 12:11 PM.
    rolyat63
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

A gun in the hand is a million times more valuable than a cop on the phone!

FL Concealed Weapon or Firearm Program

I have a question. If the article read, man with guns arrested at Bush's/Cheney's hotel, would everyone be making the same comments as they are currently in this post.
    What? Where did this come from? This has got to be one of the most bizarre twists I have read in these forums. I can't believe anyone here would be fine with a guy getting arrested for not-breaking-the-law around Bush and/or Cheney either. This leads me to 2 possibilities, 1) you are "trolling" for controversy (I try hard not to feed the "Trolls" but sometimes I do I guess). or 2) you have become extreme in your views and are seeing partisanship where it does not exist.

I understand not allowing guns on the floor Pelosi/Bush/Cheney/Obama/McCain/the Pope/whatever are staying on. I can see shutting down an entire hotel to keep people away from some pop-star/hot-stuff/super-model/whatever that is staying there. But this is the lobby of a hotel that is open to the public and people are coming in to find a room. There is no reason they should not be allowed to carry in their luggage.

This is law-enforcement going to far and everyone knows it.

I can assure you that I am not trolling for controversy. I am merely trying to find out where the line is drawn.

Everyone is saying that it was legal for the man under CO law to have the guns in the hotel lobby, locked/unlocked in the case however. I didn't arrest the man so I don't know what state the guns were in.

I would have to do a search but a year ago or so there was a thread about entering an area where there was secret service protection with a concealed handgun. The majority of the people on this forum agreed that it might not be illegal to do so, but definately would be pretty foolish to attempt it. Additionally there were many comments about the severely harsh treatment that would be received during the arrest process, ie foot to the head while you were on the ground being cuffed, ignoring statements about your legal carry ect. The consensus was that when the secret service is working, they have one task, that is to keep their person secure, that is it, plain and simple.

In TX, and please someone correct me if I am wrong, but I don't know of any TX statutes that say I can't carry a concealed handgun to a political rally or speach or any other place that the secret service would be working. Would I do it, well you all know that answer.

So, back to my point. Where is the line, is it the floor of the dignitary, three blocks from the point they are speaking at, the hotel lobby, the street outside, 10 feet from them, where? Where is the line at which people on this forum are willing to say you can't go past that point with a gun before the secret service is justified in doing the task they are assigned to do? Most of the places public figures go are public places, does that mean that the secret service is going to let you walk around with a gun, and ignore the job they were given?

I am not saying that I agree with the charges being filed, or that they guy should have had to post bail. That will all be worked out either in the court system or with the charges being dropped and that might be the end of the story. I am saying that common sense comes into play regardless of what the state law is, or if someone wants to thump their chest and say, hey I am perfectly within my rights here
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Links