Man with guns arrested at Pelosi's Hotel?

This is a discussion on Man with guns arrested at Pelosi's Hotel? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Was this man a hunter trying to legally take his guns to his hotel room to secure them? What are the laws in Denver about ...

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Man with guns arrested at Pelosi's Hotel?

Man with guns arrested at Pelosi's Hotel?

Was this man a hunter trying to legally take his guns to his hotel room to secure them?

What are the laws in Denver about this?

I wish there were more details about this story. Politicians like to talk about the 2nd Amendment in terms of "hunting" guns and not pistols or defenseive weapons.

Man Arrested With Weapons at Pelosi’s Denver Hotel - America’s Election HQ
    You can't fix stupid. Ron White

2. Remove Ads

So......what's the big deal?

You need a permit to carry a rifle in a case?

How was carrying unlawful?

Sounds like someone needs to chill out. Checking someone out is one thing...arresting and charging them is something different. Does Pelosi have a legal buffer zone around her where the laws/Constitution do not apply?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Boy that guy could turn around and sue them because you don't have to have a permit for rifles and if it (wasn't posted) about fire arms then his handguns are ok too....and if its ture he was there to have them worked on......and didn't have the intent of doing anything wrong I don't see the problem.......

I'd almost bet they arrested him so they could hold him and try and determine his intentions. If he didn't have any intentions are harming Pelosi or anyone else they'll let him go.

They way the story is written it makes it sound like Pelosi owns the hotel. Good grief this guy may not have any clue that she was in the building.
    You can't fix stupid. Ron White

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    I see two hands (sides?) here.

On the one hand, from what info we have now, this WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

Someone, somewhere, thinks that if a politician of sufficient import stays at a hotel, that hotel, "for security reasons" all of a sudden becomes a slef-defense free zone.

Or a "no hunters" or a "no firearms enthusiasts" zone.

I hope he sues the holy snot out of those responsible.

I believe MandM to be correct- they saw the guns and someone went into overdrive and decided to determine if the guy was a nut job or terrorist who wanted to off some politicos.

That may justify some questioning. It may justify some surveillance. If you're the hotel, because it's your property, it may even justify asking the dude to leave and giving him a free night at the hotel later.

But it doesn't justify arrest.

I would hope that there isn't a law against staying at a hotel with your .30-06.

OTOH, it may be that he was in violation of Colorado law with regard to the handguns.

Maybe with the rifles, too...

We don't know.

If so, on either count, it's unfortunate, but probably legal.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

You can't take a gun case to your hotel room in a state that allows one to carry gun cases?

I do know that the SS does not care about your permit, or anything you have to say...they will win the immediate situation...you may be let go later.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

What next, arresting someone working in their garden because fertilizer could be used to make a bomb.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Lord Pelosi owns a hotel?

A locked container with a pistol inside constitutes "carrying concealed," eh? (Assuming they were unloaded, which wasn't specified.)

If a locked container of guns constitutes illegal concealed carry for folks lacking government permission, then any transportation of any firearm in any manner can be deemed an criminal act. Seems to me that the Heller case put to rest the overboard, broad-brushed approach to claiming criminality when it comes to citizens' firearms.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

WOW
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by MandM View Post
    I'd almost bet they arrested him so they could hold him and try and determine his intentions. If he didn't have any intentions are harming Pelosi or anyone else they'll let him go.

They way the story is written it makes it sound like Pelosi owns the hotel. Good grief this guy may not have any clue that she was in the building.
    They let him go on a $10,000 bond. I don't know the laws in CO so I can't say if he did anything illegal but someone screwed up here. Either the LEO or the guy but I am sure they are going to find some law that he broke even if they have to make one up. So much for the democrats being the party of the people.

Foolish mortal!

He should have realized that the arrival of VIP Democrats meant that he was now in a Constitution-free zone.

Just like they would like to make the whole country.

Denver PD and the SS have applied an extreme state of security in the metro. Wrong place, wrong time, nonetheless, it appears a lack of judgment occurred, maybe on the part of all parties.

The SS and PD are on razor edges right now, as well as all of the corporate security teams.

Estimates place the number of registered protesters and unregistered protesters at 50,000 each. A volatile mix.

I don't think I'd go messing around with a long gun case anywhere in the area. Too many frayed nerves.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I just wish to point out that the laws and constitution of Colorado mean as much to the Peoples Rebublik of Denver as the laws/constitution of the nation do to say D.C. or Chicago .
    My take on it is that he is a putz , a harmless one almost certainly, but none the less in the shallow end of the gene pool . You just dont cart a couple of rifles , and a couple of handguns into ANY hotel lobby at a time and place like that . Dont tell me about his rights or the legality or lack there of of how he did it , i am speaking to common sense . Check in , get your key , park the car , and then take the guns to your room bypassing the lobby ( i for one dont even want the front desk to know what i have in the room, and once in the room i use handcuffs or leg irons to secure cases to something pretty immovable such as plumbing fixtures or possibly the tv stand , bedrail , ect. ) .
    Now on to the LE response .. I am aghast at the lack of sense and the " selective enforcement" shown here . Folks bring thousands of guns to the hotels of denver every year ( fly in elk hunters ect.. ) and have them in hotel rooms with no problems , and no charges . The charges will never stick , but either the SS or miss nancy wanted this fella locked up as an example , and someone at the local level dropped the ball by being to accommodating to one out of town visitor over another . I truly hope that the NRA is all over this both in the press and in the courtroom .
    Joseph Calanchini ( whom i labeled putz ) is a apparently a former Marine who if i recall what i read right got out with a good discharge as a corporal. I strongly suspect that he would harshly disagree with Nancy but he did already serve to insure that she can have and voice any opinion she wants . He might not be too bright ( imho ) but he was not a threat , nor were his unladed , cased firearms . IMHO a good butt chewing , and a strong suggestion to either find another hotel , or have the desk put them in the safe would have been in order . Now however the protesters/terrs know where Nancy is or was staying because its all over the press . Good job to all the LE involved , Yall really impressed this old cop with your performance on this issue, and btw Denver Officers involved , good luck with that retirement since SS will now deny any concerns and it was YOUR fine idea to cart a citizen off to jail .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

He didn't know there was anything going on in Denver this week. Usually when then the hotel rates and airline tickets double, rental cars are scarce and it's all over the news it is a good idea to find out what it going on.

A friend of mine was trying to get reservations in Denver this week and didn't know about the convention. After he couldn't find a hotel or airline ticket he decided to check it out and reschedule his appointment.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    ... My take on it is that he is a putz , a harmless one almost certainly, but none the less in the shallow end of the gene pool . You just dont cart a couple of rifles , and a couple of handguns into ANY hotel lobby at a time and place like that . Dont tell me about his rights or the legality or lack there of of how he did it , i am speaking to common sense . Check in , get your key , park the car , and then take the guns to your room bypassing the lobby ( i for one dont even want the front desk to know what i have in the room, and once in the room i use handcuffs or leg irons to secure cases to something pretty immovable such as plumbing fixtures or possibly the tv stand , bedrail , ect. ) ...
    Isnt everything you are saying in this post kind of blaspheme being that you are a former cop?

Is that how you would have acted, because the SS "SAID SO"?

NONSENSE...

Now on to the LE response .. I am aghast at the lack of sense and the " selective enforcement" shown here . Folks bring thousands of guns to the hotels of denver every year ( fly in elk hunters ect.. ) and have them in hotel rooms with no problems , and no charges . The charges will never stick , but either the SS or miss nancy wanted this fella locked up as an example , and someone at the local level dropped the ball by being to accommodating to one out of town visitor over another . I truly hope that the NRA is all over this both in the press and in the courtroom .
    ... IMHO a good butt chewing , and a strong suggestion to either find another hotel , or have the desk put them in the safe would have been in order .
    You are going to scold a guy who goes to the counter (NOT breaking any laws mind you)
    Unless like has already been mentioned a locked pistol applies, and tell him to have his weapons locked up, when he LEGALLY has a roght to store them in his room??

Who is to say he didnt want to leave them in the car/truck for fear they might get stolen while trying to check-in... plenty of reasons to have them at his side... again, common sense SHOULD have prevailed...

AGAIN... NONSENSE...

Now however the protesters/terrs know where Nancy is or was staying because its all over the press . Good job to all the LE involved , Yall really impressed this old cop with your performance on this issue, and btw Denver Officers involved , good luck with that retirement since SS will now deny any concerns and it was YOUR fine idea to cart a citizen off to jail .
    This is about the only portion of your post I DO agree with... I hope he sues ALL of them... SS, the STATE, Local PD, Dem convention... THe lot of them... just another reason why I won't vote OBAMA in 08...

Pull out the litigation shotgun, and give them all a taste...

V/R,

Mike A!
    Land O Lakes, FL

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Links