Defensive Carry banner

Now That The Supreme Court Has Ruled On The 2A...

1K views 19 replies 17 participants last post by  press1280 
#1 ·
Now that the Supreme Court has ruled that the 2A is an individual right, how difficult will it be for the next Uber-Liberal that makes it into the White House to push a gun grab scheme?

Will they be able to get another "assault weapons" ban pushed through or will the ruling make that harder?

I am a bit worried here because it seems to me, working in TV as I do, that all media is really pushing Obama like he is the second coming of Christ or something. I just don't see the same level of coverage on McCain that I see on Obama. And as I am all too aware, what the glowing idiot box (TV) pushes, the idiots who inhabit this great country of ours tend to vote for.

What are your opinions on this?

#2 ·
This election is almost as scary as your photo (not meant to offend) but they have had to cool there anti gun rhetoric to get this far.
There are a lot more gun owners then just a little while ago. There is still hope. Even if they get in.
Well at this point all one can do is hope.

#3 ·
Now that the Supreme Court has ruled that the 2A is an individual right, how difficult will it be for the next Uber-Liberal that makes it into the White House to push a gun grab scheme?

Will they be able to get another "assault weapons" ban pushed through or will the ruling make that harder?
Think at least two SCOTUS selections during the next term...that is where the real fight will be for 2A. There are already a number of legal briefs/challenges to laws making its way through the system that could end up being heard in the next couple of years.

Rick

#5 ·
I believe the conservatives will be out in droves to vote, and they do make up the majority...just need to get them all out.

Stay armed...push the importance of voting...stay safe!

#6 ·
A constitutional amendment striking down the 2A will NOT happen, no matter who's in the white house.
Even though the media's pushing Obama big time, many polls show people are well aware of what they're up to.......

#7 ·
I may be wrong (probably am), but I seem to remember something about a needing a 2/3 vote for a constitutional amendment. If so they would never be able to get rid of 2A. Too many conservative Dems that are pro 2A. I could be wrong on the 2/3, high school gov class was many years ago and was seen through a drug induced fog (think Fast Times at Ridgemont High).

#8 ·
Well Mike, what I see that we have is what I call a pickle, we have gotten ourselves into.

McCain will probably win the election, but, I think that the Dems will pick up more seats in the house and senate. So, the likelyhood is that there will be some push on an assault weapons ban, since even some Republicans have introduced such a bill this year.

Where does that leave us. We find out exactly where McCain stands and if he is willing to go along with some sort of ban or if he veto's anything that comes across his desk in that form and makes the congress override his veto. There is one pickle.

The second one is when a justice or two have to be replaced. With a majority of the other party controlling the Senate, he is going to have to pick justices that can make it through the hearings and be confirmed. This could be a very long process based on the current political nature of Washington. But I don't think that the Supreme Court regardless of makeup would even consider taking a case so broad as the assualt weapons ban and the constitutionality of such a ban.

One good thing about this type of situation is that things may be pretty stagnant in Washington for at least the next 2 maybe 4 years and they won't be able to screw anything else up. That leaves the states to go about their business of relaxing or passing however you want to look at it, gun laws that are favorable to the people of their state. IE castle doctrines, more concealed carry reciprocity and the like.

#13 ·
McCain will probably win the election, but, I think that the Dems will pick up more seats in the house and senate. So, the likelyhood is that there will be some push on an assault weapons ban, since even some Republicans have introduced such a bill this year.

Where does that leave us. We find out exactly where McCain stands and if he is willing to go along with some sort of ban or if he veto's anything that comes across his desk in that form and makes the congress override his veto. There is one pickle.

Mccain would/will NOT go along with an AWB.

He just won't state that in unequivocal English because he's a politician and he doesn't want to lose any votes for being "for assault weapons."

#9 ·
how difficult will it be for the next Uber-Liberal that makes it into the White House to push a gun grab scheme?
I believe that a waffling 5:4 "win" issues no nails for coffins. The threat is still very real, when even the highest court cannot agree on the plain, layman's view of the purpose and practical nature of the 2A.

How difficult will it be to execute a gun grab? Sadly simple, IMO.

NO LIBERAL ZEALOTS will acknowledge and defend the simple fact that the People were intended to be armed ... for whatever reasons the People saw fit, but most definitely as a guard against the tyranny of a governing few and against State military might, for which the United States was being formed in the first place. All it's going to take is one more liberal Supreme Court justice to turn the recent progress on its ear, and to toss the baby out with the bath water.

From The Heritage Guide to the Constitution, 2005, p320:
As a political gesture to the Anti-Federalists, a gesture highlighted by the Second Amendment's prefatory reference to the value of a well-regulated militia, express recognition of the right to arms was something of a sop. But the provision was easily accepted because everyone agreed that the federal government should not have the power to infringe the right of the people to keep and bear arms, any more than it should have the power to abridge the freedom of speech or prohibit the free exercise of religion.

#10 ·
There will be no Constitutional Amendment. For anything. There's no chance of anything approaching the necessary consensus for amending the Constitution for any reason.

Re-instatement of of the AWB is another kettle of fish, however, since it's all about "reasonable" restrictions. I don't believe there's broad enough support to do so, but it could happen, if we don't keep adequate pressure on our Representatives and Senators.

If a re-instatement is passed, either Presidential candidate would sign it. Republicans, after all, are sponsoring it. Dubya said he would have signed it. If it ever gets that far, then it's game over. This fight will be won, or lost, at the grass roots.

For future cases, the precedent set by Heller is significant. Outright bans will be untenable. The insidious "reasonable restrictions" are still in play. Scalia certainly left that door wide open.

#12 ·
I don't think it will slow them down a bit. I can see them passing another AWB and arguing it is a reasonable restriction. If they win high capacity handguns will be next on their list. If they lose, we are right back where we are now, so what do they have to lose?

#14 ·
The Osama crowd took a hit w/ the 2A ruling,they don't like to loose and they are very patient. Anti low lifes will slowly keep trying to chip away at our rights. I'll be in the form of extra fees on every thing we buy,brainwash the kids in schools and restrict everything we hold dear in the name of safety. Yes the media is in bed w/ Osama, Libs sucking up to Libs I don't know how anyone can watch TV these days it's so biased, there in their own little world.

#15 ·
A scary thought to consider also, the recent 2nd Amendment decision by the SCOTUS, although recognizing an individual right to self defense, still only applies to FEDERAL JURISDICTIONS, not to states.

A future decision will have to be made regarding whether the 14th amendment applies to this decision, thus affording individuals residing in the states, the same rights as those under federal jurisdictions.

#20 ·
This is already in play with the Chicago gun case. A lot of the focus is not on the 2A, which at least for now, is settled as an individual right. It's on the 14th amendment and incorporation.
My guess is that if Chicago backs down then the other hardline states and localities may accept that they can't win.
As of right now, there are only 6 states that have no constitutional provision to keep and bear arms. IL is one of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.