Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

McCain picks Alaska governor as running mate: MERGED

6K views 97 replies 51 participants last post by  Scott 
#1 ·
Sarah Palin is a Life Member of the NRA. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's also a lot easier on the eyes than Joe Biden is.

#2 ·
She apparently cancelled some appointments in AK for today, and landed in OH last night on a private jet.

I don't know all that much about her, but she is a staunch 2A supporter.

We will see in the next little bit, but they are reporting that McCain staffers have confirmed that she is McCain's VP pick.

#4 ·
McCain picks Alaska governor as running mate

McCain picks Alaska governor as running mate - CNN.com

CNN) -- Sen. John McCain has picked Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate, CNN learned Friday.

Alaska Governor Sarah Palin, seen in a February photo, will be John McCain's running mate, sources say.

The 44-year-old Palin, who's in her first term as governor, is a pioneering figure in Alaska, the first woman and the youngest person to hold the state's top political job.

She catapulted to the post with a strong reputation as a political outsider, forged during her stint in local politics. She was mayor and a council member of the small town of Wasila and was chairman of the state Oil and Gas Conservation Commission, which regulates Alaska's oil and gas resources, in 2003 and 2004.

The conservative Palin defeated two so-called political insiders to win the governor's job -- incumbent Gov. Frank Murkowski in the GOP primary and former two-term Democratic Gov. Tony Knowles in the 2006 general election.

Palin made her name in part by backing tough ethical standards for politicians. During the first legislative session after her election, her administration passed a state ethics law overhaul.

Palin's term has not been without controversy. A legislative investigation is looking into allegations that Palin fired Alaska's public safety commissioner because he refused to fire the governor's former brother-in-law, a state trooper.

Palin acknowledged that a call was made by a member of her staff to a trooper in which the staffer suggested he was speaking for the governor.
Candidates 'Revealed'
See who the presidential candidates really are in two back-to-back documentaries.
Saturday and Sunday, beginning at 7 p.m. ET
see full schedule »

Palin has acknowledged that the call could be interpreted as pressure to fire state trooper Mike Wooten, who was locked in a child-custody battle with Palin's sister.

"I am truly disappointed and disturbed to learn that a member of this administration contacted the Department of Public Safety regarding Trooper Wooten," Governor Palin said. "At no time did I authorize any member of my staff to do so."

Palin suspended the staffer who made the call and the investigation is continuing.

Palin has been focused on energy and natural resource policy during her short stint in office, and is known for her support of drilling in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge, a position opposed by McCain but supported by many grass-roots Republicans.
Don't Miss

* McCain passes on Pawlenty for VP, sources say
* Conservatives upset over some VP contenders
* GOP: Don't believe the hype, Obama not ready
* In Depth: Election Center 2008

Her biography on the state governor's Web site says one of the two major pieces of legislation passed during her first legislative session was a competitive process to construct a gas pipeline.

Palin started Alaska's Petroleum Systems Integrity Office -- an oversight and maintenance agency for the state's oil and gas equipment, facilities and infrastructure. She created the Climate Change Subcabinet that would forge a climate change strategy, according to the biography.

At present, Palin chairs the Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission, a multistate panel "that promotes the conservation and efficient recovery of domestic oil and natural gas resources while protecting health, safety and the environment," the biography says.

She has been named chair of the National Governors Association's Natural Resources Committee. That panel is focused on legislation to make sure that federal policies take state priorities into account in agriculture, energy, environmental protection and natural resource management.

She is a lifetime member of the National Rifle Association and takes part in two of Alaska's popular pastimes -- fishing and hunting.

The governor's biography says Palin's other priorities have been "education and workforce development, public health and safety, and transportation and infrastructure development."

The biography touts other achievements during her time as governor -- the investment of $5 billion in state savings, overhauling educational funding, and implementing a program to help low-income elderly Alaskans.

Born in Idaho, she is a longtime Alaskan and a Protestant. Her biography says she arrived in Alaska in 1964, "when her parents came to teach school in Skagway."

She graduated from Wasila High School in 1982 and received a bachelor of science degree in communications-journalism from the University of Idaho in 1987.

Her husband is Todd Palin, who is a lifelong resident of the state and an oil production operator on Alaska's North Slope. They have five children, including a son who enlisted in the Army last year.

Congressional Quarterly notes Palin's other past occupations, including commercial fishing company owner; outdoor recreational equipment company owner; and sports reporter.

Palin also made an unsuccessful run for lieutenant governor in 2002, Congressional Quarterly said.

#6 ·
I read a report that said she disembarked the plane with two teens.... where is her husband on such an auspicious occasion?? Or maybe all eyes were on her and he was in the background...Anyway, I approve! If they would bother to ask me... :rolleyes:

#9 ·
Let's see.

1. In favor of drilling Alaska
2. Lifetime NRA (Go 2A)
3. Fiscally conservative
4. Kept her baby even though she knew he would be Down Syndrome
5. As stated before, much easier on the eyes than Biden
6. Socially conservative
7. another history maker in the process!!

#14 ·
+1 on the smart move. I don't know anything about her, but I will bet a box of bullets that it had a lot to do with the fact that there are many Hillary supporters (women) that were sitting on the fence about supporting Obama.

This will give them just what they need to complete the move over to the McCain side of the fence.

Again very, very smart politcal move.

#17 ·
+1 on the Hillary voter angle. I think he waited to make sure it was Obamanation and Biden before sealing the deal on his VP. Wow, the OLDEST president to be elected with the FIRST WOMAN ever elected as ticket mate AND she's young enough to be his daughter. Maybe this is the HOPE and CHANGE we can all get behind. :rofl::danceban:

#25 ·
Not making any comment at all about the politics or which candidate to choose, just one about the fundamental shift in American politics.

It's now guaranteed that either an African-American will be President, or a woman will be Vice-President. That's quite a change in the country's perspective from just a few decades ago when either possibility seemed unlikely. It says a lot about the attitudes of the majority of individual American voters, who, I hope, are concerned with who can best lead the nation, rather than race or gender.

There's still lots of bias and prejudice ought there, but I consider this election to be cause for optimism that historical bigotry continues to wane.

#28 ·
Interesting.

She hunts,fishes,drive snowmobiles, is a Life Member of the NRA,owns a float plane and has a son in the US ARMY that is about to be deployed to Iraq. She's is not afraid to do what is unpopular or jump into the fire when need be and she has 5 kids.

She was first runner up in the Miss Alaska contest and won Miss Congeniality and have others have said looks much better than most politicians.

I think McCain could have done worse,much worse. He got a likable person with an actual life that most could relate to.

That could be the end of the Obamination Campaign. I'll bet most of them never saw that one coming and are flopping around like head shot turkeys even as I write.

Kind of funny actually.

:rofl:

#30 ·
Watch the news. the Obama campaign and the liberal mainstream media are already on the attack. I think his choice surprised them all, they didn't see it coming.

#32 ·
I'm just trying to figure out if she will pull enough of the woman vote to offset the fact that she does not help to shore up any battle ground state.

We'll see. This will go down as one of the boldest/best moves, or the most idiotic moves of the election.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.