NRA: Sarah Palin and Joe Biden: Worlds Apart

This is a discussion on NRA: Sarah Palin and Joe Biden: Worlds Apart within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; NRA-ILA :: Legislation Friday, August 29, 2008 Even before this week, the difference between Barack Obama and John McCain was clear. For one, McCain joined ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NRA: Sarah Palin and Joe Biden: Worlds Apart

NRA: Sarah Palin and Joe Biden: Worlds Apart

NRA-ILA :: Legislation

Friday, August 29, 2008

Even before this week, the difference between Barack Obama and John McCain was clear. For one, McCain joined more than 300 other members of Congress in signing a "friend of the court" brief, in District of Columbia v. Heller, urging the Supreme Court to rule in favor of the Second Amendment and against D.C.'s handgun ban.

Obama refused to sign the Heller brief, and supports reinstituting the Clinton gun and magazine ban. He also supports Ted Kennedy's bill to ban semi-automatic handguns in the guise of "micro-stamping," and supports banning inexpensive handguns as "junk guns."

But now that each candidate has chosen his running mate, the difference is even clearer than before. And when it comes to guns, the two prospective vice-presidents are as far apart as the states from which they hail.

Sen. McCain's running mate, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, is a NRA Life Member and hunter who says, "I support our Constitutional right to bear arms and am a proponent of gun safety programs for Alaska's youth," adding "I have always strongly supported the personal use of fish and game by Alaskans. I grew up hunting and fishing in Alaska, and I am proud to raise my children with this same uniquely Alaskan heritage."

NRA-ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox says "Governor Palin doesn't just talk about supporting the Second Amendment, it's part of her life, and she did her part to vindicate the Second Amendment for all Americans when Alaska joined 30 other states in signing a legal brief supporting Heller's challenge to the D.C. gun-ban."

As for Joe Biden, from Delaware, the Brady Campaign sums it up in a straightforward enough fashion, saying, "Senator Biden has been a consistent supporter of the Brady Campaign," and "Senator Biden was a key player in the fight for the federal assault weapons ban that passed in 1994. He also worked hard for passage of the Brady Law (sic)."

In fact, Biden introduced an "assault weapons" ban in Congress five years before the Clinton gun and magazine ban was imposed. In 1989, Biden's Senate Bill 1970 proposed to ban the Colt AR-15 and eight similar firearms as "assault weapons," and authorize the Secretary of the Treasury (in reality, BATF) and the Attorney General to recommend to Congress any other firearms, regardless of type, to be banned as "additional assault weapons."

As lead sponsor of the Senate crime bill to which the Feinstein gun ban amendment was attached, Biden was instrumental in the passage of the 1994 Clinton gun and magazine ban. Biden reiterated his support for the ban—and, in fact, took credit for authoring it—in response to a question at the CNN/YouTube debate earlier this year (to view the video, please click here).

Biden voted for the ban on a stand-alone vote in 1993, and voted to extend the ban in 2004 as an amendment to the "Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act." He also included a renewal of the ban in his crime bill last year, along with gun show restrictions.

Currently, Biden's S. 2237 proposes to renew the Clinton ban on roughly 200 makes and models of semi-automatic rifles, shotguns, and handguns on the basis of things like the shape of their grips, and on ammunition magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, regardless of the kind of firearm in which they are used.

As if that's not enough, Biden voted against the law that prohibits lawsuits designed to bankrupt law-abiding firearm manufacturers and dealers. He also refused to sign the Congressional brief in Heller, and voted to confirm only one of the five justices who ruled in favor of the Second Amendment in Heller, yet he voted to confirm all four justices who voted against the Second Amendment in that case.
    To put it simply, Gov. Sarah Palin would be one of the most pro-gun vice-presidents in American history, and Joe Biden would definitely be the most anti-gun.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

2. Remove Ads

Thank God there is a difference.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

3 cheers for McCains choice of running mate!

See, McCain is a pretty smart guy after all....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

My only critique would be...it appears the Gov is equating 2A with hunting and fishing. I wish she would come out with statements regarding self-defense of oneself and family/home...or even "all other lawful purposes".
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    My only critique would be...it appears the Gov is equating 2A with hunting and fishing. I wish she would come out with statements regarding self-defense of oneself and family/home...or even "all other lawful purposes".
    does the fact that she handles an AR15 assault weapon like a champ help? i agree...speak up Sarah!!!
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

An addition to my previous post:

My republican lobbyist brother-in-law knows governor Palin personally; he describes her stance on gun ownership and hunting/self defense in the following terms, and I do quote:

She is Ted Nugent with Breasts

Nuff said about that, you go girl.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    An addition to my previous post:

My republican lobbyist brother-in-law knows governor Palin personally; he describes her stance on gun ownership and hunting/self defense in the following terms, and I do quote:

She is Ted Nugent with Breasts

Nuff said about that, you go girl.....
    and the Nuge is hardcore... What was McCain thinkin!

Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

She won't need Secret Service Protection... LOL.. she'll just bring along some friends.

She has made comments about utilzing guns for self-protection.... and is definitely in support of it.

If she did, I think all of us would sign up... what an honor to serve such a fresh, pro-America, pro-gun, pro-life, pro-Christian... Sign me up!
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

I was really happy when this announcement was made.....

Now all we have to do is get them elected!!

Any suggestions on the best approach to that part of the equation?
    One man with a gun can control 100 without one.
    Vladimir Lenin

I fully support this new 'team', and I believe that this political shake-up is going to attract the real conservatives out of the woodwork.

McCain/Palin 2008
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thumbs up She Knows What 2A Is All About

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Hello All,

+1000 For McCain's pick for VP.

The fact that she gave up(fired) her Security Detail from her last

job to save Taxpayers $ tells me she certainly understands what The

2A is all about.

Safety First....Keep your groups tight,

mM

Quote Originally Posted by Doctorbarn View Post
    I was really happy when this announcement was made.....

Now all we have to do is get them elected!!

Any suggestions on the best approach to that part of the equation?
    You have to enlighten the college kids that are too blind to see that Obama is a bag of wind. They are misled by liberal college professors into thinking that Obama will bring a positive change to this country.

IMO trying to change the mind of a long time Democrat is almost pointless. The only hope is to grab a hold of the young voters and make them realize that McCain is clearly the better choice.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

From what I have read about Palin she is about what the country stands for , or at least used to at one time. Any politician that wants to alter any of our constitutional rights has no right in office. The second amendment is what gives the people the ways and means to not only protect themselves at home but also nationally. Every country that has tried to disarm the citizens has seen higher violent crimes not only by the people but by the government itself ie: genocide. If Obama was to become pres. he would surely make sure the supreme court was stacked in his favor.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

YEA DOCTORBARN i agree lets vote her in pronto

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links