2nd Amendment Violations in NO Pt. 2?

This is a discussion on 2nd Amendment Violations in NO Pt. 2? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I voted no, only because I would hope those who returned would learn their lesson. But then again, they did return to NO so I ...

View Poll Results: Will the 2A rights of NO residents be violated again if another big hurricane hits?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

75 48.39%
  • No.

40 25.81%
  • Not Sure.

40 25.81%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Amendment Violations in NO Pt. 2?

I voted no, only because I would hope those who returned would learn their lesson. But then again, they did return to NO so I guess that speaks to their intelligence, not to mention they keep electing that knucklehead.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I voted no, I don't think the new gov will just look the other way if that was to be attempted again

it seems there are a lot of things going differently this time
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    No, they can't do that, but that didn't stop them from doing it.

And where did you get the idea that the Federal government can confiscate our firearms?
    I was informed by a friend of mine who works at the Sheriff's Office with me that if you have a federal firearm licence....that ATF came come in your home any time without a warrent and check out your firearms and what ever else you have..........

I voted NOT SURE.... It remains to be seen. Big difference over last time... Bobby Jindal is Governor, not Kathleen Blanco.

The way Nagan is acting this go around is almost like the Feds and Gov. Jindal told him to keep his mouth shut, do as he's told and they will take care of everything for him.

Bush has got too much at stake to let it get out of hand two times in a row. He has McCain's election riding on this one.

Last time, the Feds tried to play by the rules.... They can't just come in and take over until requested by the state and local authorities. It's not FEMA's mandate to be 1st responders. They are secondary responders.

It was the local and state officials (Nagan & Blanco) who did not request FEMA until way too late... even after Bush called twice and begged them to declare an emergency in the area. It was local and state officials who refused to call a mandatory evacuation and it was local and state officials who kept a lot of the help out. I have colleagues who were down there. Red Cross and Salvation Army was sitting on the road just outside the city with mobile canteens who could feed 5,000 people a day with National Guard rifles pointed at them keeping them out! The reason as per Mayor Nagan... "They didn't want people congregating in the city... they wanted people out of the city!"

(Now to be fair... Mike Brown was also very inept as FEMA director... And that was Bush's fault!) U.S. Coast Guard pulled their butts out of that one... Coast Guard really had their shining moment at Katrina!

This time, Bobby Jindal made sure the Federal Resources are being utilized and utilized in a timely and appropriate fashion.

JMO.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SGTMOE View Post
    I was informed by a friend of mine who works at the Sheriff's Office with me that if you have a federal firearm licence....that ATF came come in your home any time without a warrent and check out your firearms and what ever else you have..........
    That is completely different from what we're discussing in this thread. We're talking about local authorities (NOPD) unlawfully confiscating firearms from private citizens during a natural disaster.

And no, the Federal government can't confiscate guns from private citizens during a natural disaster, either. There's that pesky 2nd Amendment standing in the way.

Your friend at the Sheriff's office is dead wrong, but that's a topic for another thread.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    That is completely different from what we're discussing in this thread. We're talking about local authorities (NOPD) unlawfully confiscating firearms from private citizens during a natural disaster.
    We're speaking of violations, pretense and situations in which confiscations could occur. Seems to me that the pretense of having an FFL or a class 3 weapon could easily be enough to get Nagin's juices flowing, to say nothing of lowering people's fear of the 2A or anything else that has been placed in the way in an attempt to thwart outright criminality by the authorities.

In the "dead wrong" (?) situation above, consider Nagin, a natural disaster, the fear of an FFL's or class 3 holder's firearms lying free for all to take ... Seems to me that's plenty of excuse for Nagin to issue orders to come running, to enter that home or business, to take (temporary) control of those weapons, whether someone's in the home or not. Wouldn't surprise me that the potholes in place do nothing in such a situation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Again, it remains to be seen... Personally I don't think Nagan will try to enact a blanket policy of trying to confiscate guns. Not without an obvious cause that can be argued legally.

Don't forget, Nagan has been in and out of court ever since Katrina on just that issue, and has lost every step of the way.

Also La, was the first to pass the Katrina Act which specifically forbids gun confiscation after natural disasters. While he often has tried to plead ignorant to the gun confiscation laws the first time... tried to play stupid, and saying the laws were too confusing, he doesn't have that excuse this time!

This time he knows full well of the Katrina Act, going in.

But again, you never know... It still remains to be seen. Nagan is an extremely stupid individual. Not quite as stupid as those who reelected him, but close.

At least on the state level, they threw Blanco out on her ignorant butt.

But I'm guessing he won't try it this time.

Also, there are not nearly the amount of people left behind who failed to evacuate like during Katrina.

JMHO.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by SGTMOE View Post
    Ok I'm still not understanding this whole picture here.....why did the LEO's go an confiscate people's fire arms if they weren't doing anything wrong......?......
    POWER...

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Maybe the NRA and other groups should consider having Second Amendment Monitors on the ground in New Orleans.

Just putting Mayor Nagin and his thugs on notice that people are watching him should go a long way here! Nagin needs to understand he will personally be held accountable for any unlawful orders !

I voted no. I am curious as to what would happen if they tried it again though. You now have several thousand Guard troops on the ground. They have that oath they swore, and they answer to the Governor. Would Gov. Jindall order his troops to arrest the N.O. cops?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Gustav gun confiscation underway - THR

Whats going on here ?

edit: the guns may have been confiscated because they were traveling on Greyhound funded by the government (?)

Last edited by hyte; September 1st, 2008 at 05:52 PM. Reason: after further reading

I do not think that firearms are allowed on public transportation unless they are "checked" baggage. READ - stored away from passenger access.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Don't have enough info posted here to know what is going on yet.

Not sure of greyhounds policy but if like Amtrak, no guns anywhere... not in checked baggage or anywhere else on train.

Katrina Act should protect those with legally owned firearms traveling via private conveyance... However, evacuation or not, if you are using public or common carrier transportation as part of your evacuation plan, you must abide by that carriers firearm rules! Carrying a gun on an Amtrak train would be a No-Go regardless of the Katrina Act law and firearm confiscation would be warranted! Like it or not, you have to live by the rules and abide the laws.

I'm sure the NRA is watching with microscope!

Anxiously awaiting updates... Keep us posted!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

I knew it. It almost can't even matter why they're being confiscated... Otherwise law-abiding citizens having their guns taken away.

Mel
    The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

I have to wonder though - how many of the people giving up their guns own them legally and have a CCP to carry them on their persons in the first place?

(Disclaimer: I have no idea what the laws are in La & NO)

If these are simply illegal guns to begin with, or guns being illegally carried, then I have no problem with it.

If you choose to use public transport, public shelters and public assistance, you have to abide by those rules. If not, do it yourself.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links