Defensive Carry banner

Will the 2A rights of NO residents be violated again if another big hurricane hits?

• Yes.

Votes: 75 48.4%
  • No.

Votes: 40 25.8%
  • Not Sure.

Votes: 40 25.8%

2nd Amendment Violations in NO Pt. 2?

3K views 47 replies 33 participants last post by  automatic slim 
#1 ·
I'm interested in everyone's predictions here. If New Orleans is hit again by a major hurricane, will the various law enforcement and National Guard entities once again violate the 2nd Amendment rights of the citizens in the aftermath?

Mel

#2 ·
I am willing to bet that with Ray Nagan still the Mayor of New Orleans, that we will indeed see some more 2A violations if Gustav or any other big hurricane hits there.

I wouldn't trust that guy to do the right thing if God himself was looking over his shoulder.

#3 ·
#6 ·
Nagin + Katrina = Take away all legal guns from citizens...thousands of them...:hand5::hand5::hand5::hand1::hand1::hand1: :rant::rant::rant:

Check the history...many of those individuals still haven't received their guns back (even after a court order).:banned:

Stay armed...stay out of NOLA...stay safe!

#5 ·
I voted yes. The fact is, when things are going awry, or just plain out of the ordinary, authorities do what they think they have to do to preserve order. Sometimes they get it right. Often they overreact and violate the law themselves.

We saw several examples of this after Katrina, notably when people were prevented by authorities from leaving NO, at the point of a gun. We just had a discussion about some incidents in Colorado at the DNC.

So yes, there will inevitably be officials who do what they think they need to do, and let the courts, and public opinion, sort it out later.

#10 ·
Because Eddie Compass, the NO Chief of Police ordered that all civilian guns be confiscated, stating that only the police should have guns.

This was front page news. The NRA was all over it.

#9 ·
I voted yes. SOS (same old story). Without suppression, there is no authority in the authority's eyes. They must maintain control.

#13 ·
Did "Marshal Law" get applied? If so, the constitution gets suspended, you now are in a police state, you have no rights what so ever.

#16 ·
I haven't hit the poll but I may actually say no, because LA passed a law that specifically forbid confiscation of arms. Yes, I know they did it last time but Nagin and Co. didn't get the 2A, now it's spelled out for them and the new Gov(Jindal) would probably take action if NO tried confiscation again.
Nagin would very much love to take all guns in his city if he could though...........

#18 ·
With gun sales going strong I wonder if citizens will be willing to hand them over so fast this time ? I know I wouldn't give them my best self defense
piece.I'd have a junker on hand to satisfy them.I remember reading so many stories of armed home owners protecting their lives and property because they were armed.They believed they are alive today because of having a firearm.

#20 ·
With the NRA, Bobby Jindal, and millions of American voters watching during an election year, I think even Nagan and his idiot squad will cool it, or at least try to hide their crimes.

#21 ·
The "protections" were there against state tyranny, previously. There are a couple more, now. And yet, the newer protections are as empty as the previous. There are NO REAL TEETH in any laws that deem to guard the safety and security of citizens, when they are found to have been violated by zealots. So long as that's true, the risk is very real. Particularly since many of the same thugs are still in positions where they can execute the same policies. They paid no real price, previously, so there is little to suggest they'd feel much differently the next time. I mean, the top thug WAS voted back in, for cryin' out loud. The sucker therefore has a "mandate" from the people, you know.

I suppose one could say that the huge rate of purchases of AR-15 equipment by citizens in the area speaks volumes as to what those folks, themselves, believe to be the true risk. By itself, this is probably the one thing that is giving any practical pause to the zealots who would seek to disarm the people. But, we'll see.

#24 ·
... many of the same thugs are still in positions where they can execute the same policies. They paid no real price
They DID pay a price. They got to keep some of those guns they stol... oh wait, never mind.

Let me think: trust in the integrity of those who have proven themselves to have no integrity, and who suffered no consequences for their actions, or trust in corrupt officials to turn over a new leaf and do the right thing....

Ya know, we just had flooding in 4 counties up here a few weeks ago. I heard not a single report of police helping themselves to the goods at the local Walmart. I drove by many houses that were flooded, and I saw not a single looter, even though the houses were abandoned.

WHERE'S MY FEMA CHECK?????

#22 ·
hurricane/weapons

i voted no, i hope i'm right
but i do see a higher precentage
voting yes.
seems like prior posts may hit
that nail right on the head.
good posts. thanks for sharing.
forgot some of the stories of katrina. :aargh4:

#29 ·
Legally, no they can not. However, when the local PD is standing with you, you are allowed to do it whether it is legal or not. Since Nagin is still in office and he is very much opposed to armed citizens I believe that all he needs is an excuse and he will do it again. Since, as I understand it, he has already requested an evacuation of the N.O. citizens and imposed a mandatory curfew on all who remain I am sure that he will use the excuse of all those left being looters. In his mind that is all he will need to justify it.

#30 ·
I found an interesting news article (just before having to head for work, of course) (and now cannot find the curst thing).

Anyhow, there's a run going on the sporting goods stores, and people are keeping in mind that some of the police were looting during Katrina, as well as seizing (stealing) firearms.

Makes me go "hmmm".

It only takes one or two stupid cops to give honest cops trouble all across the nation.

#32 ·
I voted no, I don't think the new gov will just look the other way if that was to be attempted again

it seems there are a lot of things going differently this time

#34 ·
I voted NOT SURE.... It remains to be seen. Big difference over last time... Bobby Jindal is Governor, not Kathleen Blanco.

The way Nagan is acting this go around is almost like the Feds and Gov. Jindal told him to keep his mouth shut, do as he's told and they will take care of everything for him.

Bush has got too much at stake to let it get out of hand two times in a row. He has McCain's election riding on this one.

Last time, the Feds tried to play by the rules.... They can't just come in and take over until requested by the state and local authorities. It's not FEMA's mandate to be 1st responders. They are secondary responders.

It was the local and state officials (Nagan & Blanco) who did not request FEMA until way too late... even after Bush called twice and begged them to declare an emergency in the area. It was local and state officials who refused to call a mandatory evacuation and it was local and state officials who kept a lot of the help out. I have colleagues who were down there. Red Cross and Salvation Army was sitting on the road just outside the city with mobile canteens who could feed 5,000 people a day with National Guard rifles pointed at them keeping them out! The reason as per Mayor Nagan... "They didn't want people congregating in the city... they wanted people out of the city!"

(Now to be fair... Mike Brown was also very inept as FEMA director... And that was Bush's fault!) U.S. Coast Guard pulled their butts out of that one... Coast Guard really had their shining moment at Katrina!

This time, Bobby Jindal made sure the Federal Resources are being utilized and utilized in a timely and appropriate fashion.

JMO.

#37 ·
Again, it remains to be seen... Personally I don't think Nagan will try to enact a blanket policy of trying to confiscate guns. Not without an obvious cause that can be argued legally.

Don't forget, Nagan has been in and out of court ever since Katrina on just that issue, and has lost every step of the way.

Also La, was the first to pass the Katrina Act which specifically forbids gun confiscation after natural disasters. While he often has tried to plead ignorant to the gun confiscation laws the first time... tried to play stupid, and saying the laws were too confusing, he doesn't have that excuse this time!

This time he knows full well of the Katrina Act, going in.

But again, you never know... It still remains to be seen. Nagan is an extremely stupid individual. Not quite as stupid as those who reelected him, but close.

At least on the state level, they threw Blanco out on her ignorant butt.

But I'm guessing he won't try it this time.

Also, there are not nearly the amount of people left behind who failed to evacuate like during Katrina.

JMHO.

#39 ·
Maybe the NRA and other groups should consider having Second Amendment Monitors on the ground in New Orleans.

Just putting Mayor Nagin and his thugs on notice that people are watching him should go a long way here! Nagin needs to understand he will personally be held accountable for any unlawful orders !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.