Need Help With Gun Purchase

This is a discussion on Need Help With Gun Purchase within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm sitting on the fence about getting a full size .45. However, I've been through the 2A postings and now I'm not sure if I ...

Thread: Need Help With Gun Purchase

Need Help With Gun Purchase

I'm sitting on the fence about getting a full size .45. However, I've been through the 2A postings and now I'm not sure if I should spend the money. Gun, ammo, range time out of the box would be about a grand. This is in addition to what I have invested in other guns. Now I'm reading about possible retroactive gun bans. What do the more experienced folks think about the reality of that happening? Some of you folks have been around for a few administrations and seen the general trend of gun laws. I've only owned and been carrying a handgun for less than a year. Of course, I'm doing whatever I can to support 2A at my level. To make a long story short, should I just go for the .45 and add to my collection, or sit on my hands and see what shakes out in the election?

2. Remove Ads

One thing about the 1911. It won't be too long before it qualifies as a curio & relic weapon. Put into production when the Cavalry still rode horses. And yet today, 97 years later, it is still one of the single best defensive handgun the world has ever seen.

I seriously doubt it will ever be banned under the Anti's gun ban schemes. It's not a particularly high capacity gun.

Less than 10 rounds generally, unless you get into the high capacity ParaOrdnances.

I say if you want a 1911 .45 acp, get one! I have two! One Colt & one Para.

And I won't ever get rid of them.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Senior Moderator
    First of all, you can't have a retro active gun ban. Its illegal and unconstitutional.
    Most people dont know that.

Secondly, the anti's want ALL guns, not just some of them. They are smart enough to know that they cant get them all at once, so they'll be content to piecemeal them away.

The gun you buy today will never be any cheaper than it is now, so whatever you do, dont wait. If by chance, a Democrat got into office, guns will go up just because of the supply and demand factor. Bill Clinton was the best thing that ever happened to gun dealers. I dont suspect Obama would be any different.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    In light of the recent US supreme court ruling, I doubt that any handgun ban would be put into effect. Another thing to remember is that there are about 80,000,000 gun owners in America. If they can't sway the election, who can? I wouldn't let Osama intimidate you, buy your 1911 and stick it to him. Don't forget to vote.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Gun Purchase Coming

Thanks for the advice! Our local gun shop is having a sale this week and a gun show is coming to town next weekend. I may be posting later this week what the purchase is.

I guess what bothers me most about this stuff is that my interpretation of the second amendment is different than others. It seems like anti-gun politicians are more than willing to rewrite (or at least interpret it) to support their position. I know, what a shock. Therefore, when I hear statements that something is unconstitutional, I am heartened and saddened at the same time.

Well nonetheless, I've frittered away more than a grand in my lifetime. I will buy, train, have fun, and support the second amendment any way I can so all of us can buy, train, and have fun.

Happy Labor Day Everyone! I'm off to steaming clams, shrimp, and cooking scallops for my family.

Stay safe.

Only thing you're missing in that menu are some steamed mussels!

Have a great holiday! Peace out!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Go .45 caliber...1911...

I have two Kimbers...my CDP II Ultra is my EDC.

Stay armed...make big holes...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'd say getting a full size 1911 model would be a great idea for you! I am wondering however what your proposed choices are that are going to bring the initial investment to the tune of around a thousand bucks. In recent times, I've contemplated the Taurus PT1911 as a nice, factory, custom oriented pistol for around $500+tax. The SIG P220 is the best 45 auto pistol I've ever had the chance to shoot and own. Mine is a SAO model, but I've seen the regular P220's (DA/SA) at gun shows CPO (certified, pre-owned) go for $550. I've put my yearnings for another 1911 on hold and put an HD shotgun at the top of my list for now. Magazines for the SIG however are a bit more expensive than the standard 1911 mags readily available.

Something else to think about is parts availability. Any part you might need can easily be found. Mater of fact you can actually order all the parts needed to make a complete new 1911. Try that with other pistols.

Michael

Clams and Shrimp were good, scallops were too hard.

Thanks for additional advice. I was at Bass Pro the other week and a guy stopped by and the counter and wanted to know if they took trades. He had a Glock 21 he wanted to get rid of and get a 1911. After talking with him for awhile, I found out he was an ex SWAT member. He was no longer a member because he took a 9mm round through the knee and it ended his career in SWAT. I asked him if he at least got the BG and unfortunately it was a GG that got him. Nonetheless, he was keen on the Tauras that RamRod recommended. So I guess it's worthy of another look.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    In light of the recent US supreme court ruling, I doubt that any handgun ban would be put into effect.
    You left off "...in the immediate future". 48 years between 1938 and 1986, but they made the next step in outlawing full auto, and no one is objecting because it's an idea everyone is used to.

I hope suppressors are not next, I need one to protect my hearing and keep the neighbors from getting excited.

Links