Taxi Drivers, Gun Violence and a Call for Change

This is a discussion on Taxi Drivers, Gun Violence and a Call for Change within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Four recent crimes drove Councilman Joseph Addabbo, Mothers Against Guns (MAG), the New York Taxi Workers Alliance, and a victimized cab driver named Enois Melbranche ...

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Taxi Drivers, Gun Violence and a Call for Change

  1. #1
    Senior Member Array mrreynolds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    613

    Exclamation Taxi Drivers, Gun Violence and a Call for Change

    Four recent crimes drove Councilman Joseph Addabbo, Mothers Against Guns (MAG), the New York Taxi Workers Alliance, and a victimized cab driver named Enois Melbranche to denounce the outbreak of violence and call for tougher gun restrictions.

    Melbranche was shot in the face while driving his cab in Bedford-Stuyvesant right after picking up three young women on Lafayette and Franklin avenues on August 7. The 62-year-old Haitian immigrant had been driving a cab for nearly a decade before the incident occurred.

    When he was treated at Kings County Hospital doctors said he might never drive again. To date only one girl, April Pierce, 19, has been charged in the shooting. She was charged with attempted murder, robbery and criminal use of a firearm.

    The reign of gun violence did not end there for the month of August. On the 22nd, another cab driver was shot in the face while driving a taxi in Elmhurst. On the 25th, a woman was robbed and raped at gunpoint in Ozone Park. And on the 27th, another cab driver was shot in the Bronx.

    Those who gathered last week argued that this frightful bloodshed continues due to lax state gun laws in New York.

    Addabbo, who is making a Senate run against Serphin Maltese, said that more has to be done to protect society-at-large.

    “It is just plain wrong that New York State does not have stronger laws in place to protect our families and loved ones from illegal guns and persistent gun violence,” said the councilman.

    In addition, Addabbo stated that the mayor has nonetheless made great strides when it comes to gun restrictions, but progress still has to be made.

    “I applaud Mayor Bloomberg’s outstanding efforts to free New York City streets of illegal guns purchased out of state, but we need to do more here in New York State,” he said.

    Due to the feverish rally of brutality against New York City taxi drivers, Bhairavi Desai, executive director of the New York Taxi Workers Alliance, spoke about how high risk of a job driving a cab has become.

    Representing 11,000 drivers, he highlighted the fear brought on by recent events and pushed for more security.

    “Taxi drivers are on the front lines of violence everyday, and this month has been one of the bloodiest,” Desai said.

    “The State Senate has repeatedly failed to support comprehensive legislation to limit gun violence to the direct detriment of hardworking people. Recent events are further proof that we need stricter gun control laws now.”

    It has been reported that almost 60 percent of guns used in crimes originate from just one percent of gun dealers. Many legal guns make their way into the illegal market by way of straw purchases – individuals who by guns legally and resell them to people who would otherwise not be able to buy them, including children.

    The president of MAG urged leaders to act before the epidemic spreads.

    “Gun violence is an unnecessary evil that destroys the lives of so many in our society and unless common senses state and federal legislation is enacted we will continue to see the flow of blood in the streets of our communities,” she said.

    Every year the Brady Campaign issues a legislative scorecard, and New York scored a 51 out of a possible 100 points.

    “We want to keep our communities safe and supportive places for people to raise their families, yet recent gun violence is a serious obstacle to that goal,” lamented Addabbo. “I support the right to bare arms as guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution, but there have to be limits.”
    ARTICLE

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Senior Member Array PaulJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    616
    - If indeed 60% of the gun-violence can be traced to 1% of the dealers, then lets go after that 1%, not the remaining 99%.

    - last time I checked, a straw purchase was already illegal.

    - it would be nice if cab drivers would adopt credit cards more aggresively. I recently visited Philadelphia, and cabs had credit card readers in the back. The driver strongly suggested that I pay cash as it costs him 3% to use the CC reader (and well, maybe more in money he can't hide from the tax man).
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

  4. #3
    Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rowlett, Texas
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulJ View Post
    - If indeed 60% of the gun-violence can be traced to 1% of the dealers, then lets go after that 1%, not the remaining 99%.

    Excuse me but would that be logical........they want political correctness not logic........
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

  5. #4
    Senior Member Array mrreynolds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    613
    What annoys me the most being that I live in NYC is the victims "never" want to increase the laws which would allow them to protect themselves. Access to carry permits for New Yorkers.

    A law can not stop a crime the breaking of it can only be the basis of a prosecution.

  6. #5
    Senior Member Array PaulJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    616
    Quote Originally Posted by mrreynolds View Post
    What annoys me the most being that I live in NYC is the victims "never" want to increase the laws which would allow them to protect themselves. Access to carry permits for New Yorkers.

    A law can not stop a crime the breaking of it can only be the basis of a prosecution.
    but would illegal aliens be allowed to carry ;-) we are talking NYC cab drivers.
    I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. (Thomas Jefferson)

  7. #6
    Senior Member Array press1280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    750
    “We want to keep our communities safe and supportive places for people to raise their families, yet recent gun violence is a serious obstacle to that goal,” lamented Addabbo. “I support the right to bare arms as guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment of the United States Constitution, but there have to be limits.”
    Yeah, and I'll bet the person that shot this guy was an upstanding member of society.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

  8. #7
    Senior Member Array Macattack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Rainy ol' Seattle, WA
    Posts
    577
    It even said the shooter of one was a 19 year old girl. She had no right to carry a gun. Every one of these shootings were carried out by bad people illegally carrying an illegal or black market firearm. How can tougher gun laws slow down crime that is already a crime. So its MORE illegal?

    I swear some people are morons. Resonsible gun owners and ccw holders do not commit crimes, criminals do. Stop treating the good guys like criminals!
    -mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

  9. #8
    VIP Member Array obxned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    OBX, NC
    Posts
    2,655
    I thought armed robbery and attempted murder were already illegal in NYC. How is yet another law going to stop such activities?
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

  10. #9
    Moderator
    Array RETSUPT99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Central Florida
    Posts
    43,808
    99% of the idiot gun-grabbers...make the other 1% look bad.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

    ***********************************
    Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

  11. #10
    Senior Member Array The Fish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    West Palm Beach, Florida
    Posts
    634
    [QUOTE=mrreynolds;835317]What annoys me the most being that I live in NYC is the victims "never" want to increase the laws which would allow them to protect themselves. Access to carry permits for New Yorkers.

    As a former New Yorker,I am well aware of how dangerous driving a cab is.
    "Bullet proof" dividers have helped somewhat.

    The "victims" don't think in terms of changing the NYC gun laws because they have been in effect for a VERY long time.(Since the 20's or 30's).
    They still don't get it;After 70 years of gun restrictions,the bad guys still have guns,so how about arming the good guys?

    As a long time liberal,this one thing that drives me CRAZY about the anti-gun politicians.

    By the way,licensed cabbies have to be legal immigrants since they go through a backround check.

    I'm certainly not ready to allow illegals to legally buy guns.
    " Keep On Packin' On The Bimah"

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Taxi Driver movie
    By Freedom Doc in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 8th, 2010, 02:59 PM
  2. Indiana Taxi Drivers CCW ?
    By Zerojunk in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: August 6th, 2009, 06:36 PM
  3. Factual view on gun violence vs other "violence"
    By buckwoods in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: July 14th, 2009, 04:31 PM
  4. Pittsburgh Taxi Driver Shoots Robber
    By CT-Mike in forum In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 3rd, 2008, 06:42 PM
  5. Victimized by Vulture Taxi's Long Island
    By nutz4utwo in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: January 12th, 2008, 10:12 AM

Search tags for this page

april pierce shot a cab driver
,
are taxi drivers allowed to carry guns in florida?
,

cab driver shot in bedstuy 2008 april pierce

,
cab drivers guns fl
,
can a cab driver carry a gun in indiana
,
can florida taxi drivers carry a weapon
,

enois melbranche

,

florida satatutes taxi cabs firearms carry

,

lafayette in , city cab driver can thy carry ccw

,
shooting of taxi driver in bedford stuyvesant
,
taxi driver fight in seattle
,
tx cab drivers carry gun
Click on a term to search for related topics.