Nationwide, Alaska Style Carry?

This is a discussion on Nationwide, Alaska Style Carry? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So with Sarah Palin on the Republican Ticket, assuming (hopefully not too much) that she and John are elected to the White House in Nov. ...

So with Sarah Palin on the Republican Ticket, assuming (hopefully not too much) that she and John are elected to the White House in Nov. Does anyone here other than myself dream of Nationwide Carry on par with Alaska/Vermont?

Or would that be so back-burner what with Defense, Economy, Foreign Relations, and Hopefully genuinely trying to reform Washington?

Thanks For your input in advance
    MikeV

EW3
    Nationwide Carry???

I thought the States made their own laws as to how you can/can't carry.
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEV View Post
    So with Sarah Palin on the Republican Ticket, assuming (hopefully not too much) that she and John are elected to the White House in Nov. Does anyone here other than myself dream of Nationwide Carry on par with Alaska/Vermont?

Or would that be so back-burner what with Defense, Economy, Foreign Relations, and Hopefully genuinely trying to reform Washington?

Thanks For your input in advance
    MikeV

Carry legistation has traditionally been left to the individual states. I don't see that changing. I should think there are many serious issues on the national front that a majority of citizens would feel more important right now.
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." --Teddy Roosevelt

VIP Member
    I think it will be back burner. I certainly believe that Palin might well want to advocate this, but I actually doubt that McCain would. I think he will concentrate on more centrist and more pressing issues.

There also are some serious issues with broadening carry rights. In theory, and because I carry, it is a great idea. But, I do think that in many places with dense populations there are some legitimate concerns. It isn't just accident, or just "liberal" politicians who have pushed through tough anti-gun measures in the most populace states. You can readily see the anti-position in Mayor Giuliani (a very conservative individual) and in Mayor Bloomberg. There were other Republican Mayors in NY (Mayor Lindsay) and they held the same position. Similarly, for very many years there have been Republican Governors in NY, and they were in no way pro-gun. E.g., Pataki, Rockefeller. I don't see Arnold pushing for liberalized gun laws in California; and the former Republican governor of New Jersey (can't think of her name, she headed EPA after being governor) didn't push pro-gun legislation.

The fact of the matter is that there are strong regional differences in the US. It is a huge country and Texas isn't Illinois. New Jersey isn't Alaska. California isn't Utah. Legislatures in each place have done what they thought needed doing.

Things will get gradually better for the carry community because of the recent Heller decision and the follow up actions that will inevitably follow.

And do keep in mind, that even in Texas, we are a tiny minority of the eligible population, and the law is actually quite restrictive in many ways. There are less than 300,000 people with licenses, no one knows how many actually carry regularly, and we have a population that I think is roughly 25 million (not certain). That puts us at roughly 1% of the population tops. And we need to keep in mind that many of the licenses are issued to former cops, family members of cops, judges, prosecutors, city officials and so on.

It will be a slow uphill climb.

Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    Nationwide Carry???

They do, unless a federal law is in-corporated(?sp?). Please I am not wanting to get into the what is the reach of the 14A. But can't the States get "encouragement" from the feds.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I think it will be back burner. I certainly believe that Palin might well want to advocate this, but I actually doubt that McCain would. I think he will concentrate on more centrist and more pressing issues...

The fact of the matter is that there are strong regional differences in the US. It is a huge country and Texas isn't Illinois. New Jersey isn't Alaska. California isn't Utah. Legislatures in each place have done what they thought needed doing.
    Good Point.

MikeV

At least make all the states recognize the CCW license of another state...

Stay armed...in all 50...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

bae
    Quote Originally Posted by EW3 View Post
    Nationwide Carry???

Yes, but in truth, that's like allowing each State to decide whether blacks and women get to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Yes, but in truth, that's like allowing each State to decide whether blacks and women get to vote.
    So what your saying is that it would be kind of like this. Blacks and Women can vote in Federal Elections, but not in those that only have State or Local impact?

Never thought of it that way. something to consider, don't know if I agree or not, but it is thought provoking.

Thanks
    MikeV
    Last edited by MIKEV; September 6th, 2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: -is, +would be.

Easier way is to work on the few non-shall-issue states w/lawsuits that should go far w/the Heller case. Most of these states will have to come up with new excuses for denying CCWs to law-abiding citizens since the 2A is no longer a collective right. I suspect if Chicago and San Fran cave in, the states won't try to deny incorporation of the 2A as well.
    After that, things should start to come together. Just look at how far we've come over the last 20 years! How many states had reciprocity agreements back then compared to now?
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Links