No charges in guns at Pelosi's denver hotel

This is a discussion on No charges in guns at Pelosi's denver hotel within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; No charges for man with guns at Pelosi's DNC hotel : Updates : The Rocky Mountain News No charges for man with guns at Pelosi's ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No charges in guns at Pelosi's denver hotel

No charges in guns at Pelosi's denver hotel

No charges for man with guns at Pelosi's DNC hotel : Updates : The Rocky Mountain News

No charges for man with guns at Pelosi's DNC hotel
    Associated Press
    Originally published 02:51 p.m., September 15, 2008
    Updated 02:51 p.m., September 15, 2008

Prosecutors say no charges will be filed against a man who was arrested after causing a weapons scare during the Democratic convention.

Joseph Calanchini of Pinedale, Wyo., was arrested on suspicion of unlawfully carrying a weapon on Aug. 23. Police say he had two hunting rifles and two pistols in a case when he tried checking in to the Denver hotel where House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was staying.

Pelosi was evacuated.

Denver DA's spokeswoman Robin Finegan said today police never presented the case to prosecutors. Police did not immediately have additional information.

Calanchini has said he didn't know about the convention or that Pelosi was at the hotel.

He says he's relieved the case is closed but he hasn't gotten his guns back.
    Still hasn't gotten his guns back, huh?

Anybody want to guess how many zeros will be in the final settlement check?

Anybody know the name of the hotel where this happened - as I remember, it was a front desk clerk who called police in the first place - AFTER checking him in... I think neither they, nor that chain (if any), deserve my business.
    Last edited by tflhndn; September 15th, 2008 at 10:05 PM. Reason: contextual spelling

2. Remove Ads

Glad to know he was not charged.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Idiots.

That's the most forum-friendly term I can think of.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    All of them.

Did he ever state why he had the firearms?

Senior Moderator
    Did he ever state why he had the firearms?
    he must have given someone a sastisfactory answer because he wasnt charged with anything
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

No charges for man with guns at Pelosi's DNC hotel : Updates : The Rocky Mountain News

Anybody know the name of the hotel where this happened - as I remember, it was a front desk clerk who called police in the first place - AFTER checking him in... I think neither they, nor that chain (if any), deserve my business.
    I think I heard it was the Hyatt.

There were also (left wing) blogs about this guy being some kind of skin-head assassin. Glad that turned out to be false.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

He was on a business trip, and had some gunsmithing and scope mounted on his hunting rifles while there.... where he "normally' got things done.

They were just doing the "legal dance" until the convention was over, detaining him in the process, and then let him go after it's all over.

Can we spell L-A-W-S-U-I-T ? I'm not sure how many constitutional rights they stepped on, but it sure seems like a bunch of them.

He had taken his guns to a local gunsmith in preparation for a hunting trip (to Africa, IIRC)

No charges for man with guns at Pelosi's DNC hotel
    Not surprising. The convention is long done with, and there is little else to be done but let the story fade to oblivion.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    He was on a business trip, and had some gunsmithing and scope mounted on his hunting rifles while there.... where he "normally' got things done.

They were just doing the "legal dance" until the convention was over, detaining him in the process, and then let him go after it's all over.

Can we spell L-A-W-S-U-I-T ? I'm not sure how many constitutional rights they stepped on, but it sure seems like a bunch of them.
    Sad thing is that if there is a lawsuit and if he wins, it comes out of our pockets rather than the donkeyhats that violated his sovereign rights. I've always been of the opinion that when those in "power" put themselves in the position of being on the receiving end of a lawsuit because they VIOLATED the law, that THEY are the ones punished, not the rest of us being robbed. Then again...that's me and that old logic and responsibility talking. Why ever would we want that? Since when does 1 + 1 = 2 anyway?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

How do the judges always throw out ignorance of the law is no excuse,I think that should apply to the guys that are hired and trained to enforce the law
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

My guess is ZERO zeroes as he probably won't win anything.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    he must have given someone a sastisfactory answer because he wasnt charged with anything
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post

Real BS. I think LE has the right to "ask" given the situation, but if the person has a reasonable answer, and it checks out, real BS.

I hope he does not settle. Hope this gets a lot of attention and he turns out to be a GG.

Distinguished Member Array tinkerinWstuff's Avatar
    This article has more info and how he did on his hunt. Sorry I don't know how to get it to quote the article contents here...

Prosecutors: No charges in convention gun incident - MSNBC Wire Services - MSNBC.com
    "Run for your life from the man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another-their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun."

Who is John Galt?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links