DC Finally Hops on the Heller Truck

This is a discussion on DC Finally Hops on the Heller Truck within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "DC Finally Hops on the Heller Truck" Mike DeBonis, one of my colleagues at Washington City Paper, sends word that the D.C. Council has removed ...

Thread: DC Finally Hops on the Heller Truck

Thumbs up DC Finally Hops on the Heller Truck

"DC Finally Hops on the Heller Truck"

Mike DeBonis, one of my colleagues at Washington City Paper, sends word that the D.C. Council has removed the machinge gun clause from the DC gun law, as well as lifted the restrictions requiring that hand guns be kept disassembled:

The mayor has just signed the emergency gun bill passed earlier today by the D.C. Council, reports mayoral spokesperson Mafara Hobson. That means semiautomatic handguns are now legal and you no longer have to have D.C. police perform a ballistics test before taking your gun home. And once it is home, you no longer have to keep it disassembled or keep a trigger lock on it until you feel a “reasonably perceived threat of immediate harm.”

UPDATE, 7:27 P.M.: The Fenty statement: “The Executive and D.C. Council have worked together to adopt common-sense, reasonable laws to prevent handguns from falling into the wrong hands or being misused. I have signed this new legislation passed by the Council today, and believe it fully complies with both the letter and spirit of the Heller decision. We trust that Congress will recognize that it is appropriate that the District legislate in this area of local law.”
    DeBonis is skeptical that the relaxed restrictions will "placate Congress." I guess we'll have to wait and see.
    From Hit & Run > D.C. Finally Hops on the Heller Truck - Reason Magazine

2. Remove Ads

It's a start.

VIP Member
    They didn't 'hop on the bus'.......They were hit by it & are being dragged down the road!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    They didn't 'hop on the bus'.......They were hit by it & are being dragged down the road!
    Wonder if the NRA threatening more lawsuits because of their flawed asinine thinking made them rethink their position
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Wonder if the NRA threatening more lawsuits because of their flawed asinine thinking made them rethink their position
    Could image the conversation right before signing. It will cost how much to defend this again in front of the SCOTUS?

I would imagine that this is also an attempt to prevent the Congress from wresting control of firearms away from the city.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    Too little, way too late.

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    I would imagine that this is also an attempt to prevent the Congress from wresting control of firearms away from the city.

Hoss
    That was my first thought as well.
    Bend the knees, smooth is fast, watch the front sight.

Now, on to Chicago!

They passed it Tuesday, to try to stop Congress from voting on it... it didn't work... they voted . Now ... if they can get a Senate vote on it...

FOXNews.com - House Passes Rules Easing D.C. Gun Restriction - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

Links