The Hollywood crowd and guns. - Page 3

The Hollywood crowd and guns.

This is a discussion on The Hollywood crowd and guns. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ccw9mm No hatred, here. Just the realization that the importance of one's message doesn't improve merely because of the size of the ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Hollywood crowd and guns.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    No hatred, here. Just the realization that the importance of one's message doesn't improve merely because of the size of the microphone.
    I don't hate them, I just don't give a hoot what they think. BUT it does anger me when regular schmoes like us put value in what an empty headed celeb thinks.

WHO CARES? Their job is to look good in a movie or sing. Outside of that, shut up cause I don't care.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I don't hate them, I just don't give a hoot what they think. BUT it does anger me when regular schmoes like us put value in what an empty headed celeb thinks.

WHO CARES? Their job is to look good in a movie or sing. Outside of that, shut up cause I don't care.
    Agreed. I've always appreciated Johnny Depp's take on the value of his personal opinions. When asked by some reporter or other after one of the successful Pirates movies what he thought about some political topic, he replied something to the effect of, "Why in the world should anyone care what I think? I'm an actor."
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Does anyone else see the wry irony of the criticism of the Hollywood entertainers that espouse their views in public with us on this forum, who are doing exactly the same thing?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Does anyone else see the wry irony of the criticism of the Hollywood entertainers that espouse their views in public with us on this forum, who are doing exactly the same thing?
    True enough, but I seek out and listen to the opinions of people here because I know most of them know of what they speak on this topic. If I wanted acting advice, I'd seek out an actor's opinion. I'd leave their opinions on national policy alone, if they would let me.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Good point, but I came to this forum to see other members opinions and to discuss them. We have not brought our opinions unsolicited to people outside our group unless they come here to read them. Celebs inject op's anywhere they can plug there piece of mind. ie: The Emmys the Oscars or any awards program they are on. Give them a shot on a talk show and they will pontificate every chance they get. JMHO
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

IMO, there is a fair difference between an emotionally-laden non-shooter as compared to someone who has sent tens of thousands of rounds through all manner of targets (hunting and otherwise), in terms of knowing the value of firearms. There's also a fair chance of finding the latter here, versus at an actor's conclave. None of this speaks to expertise across the board, no. (There's pontification here, too, at times.) But it does speak to probabilities. Which is why we're here, to have a few rational discussions about firearms and their risks, rewards, effects. No irony in that; just simple, somewhat-common sense.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    Maybe there are famous people that are members here... who knows. The difference is people come here seeking opinions of others. If you blindly follow what anybody here says, shame on you; but at least a fair number of members here have made it evident that they know what they are talking about.

Just like I'd go to doctors when I need medical advice, I dont care what the doctor thinks about current events- just help me fix my problem. Same can be said for any vocation.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    I find it a bit ironic that a lot of the Hollyweird crowd decrying the private ownership and carrying of guns act in the shoot'em ups. In my mind, there's a heck of a disconnect there. Reminds me of politicians.
    The following celebrities and national figures have lent their name and notoriety to anti-gun causes, speaking out for anti-gun legislation and providing a voice for anti-gun organizations.

Alec Baldwin
    Kevin Bacon
    William Baldwin
    Benjamin Bratt
    George Clooney
    Kevin Costner
    Sean Connery
    Billy Crystal
    Matt Damon
    Michael Douglas
    David Duchovny
    Andy Garcia
    Richard Gere
    Paul Glaser
    Louis Gossett, Jr
    Denis Leary
    Paul Newman
    Mandy Patinkin
    Robert Redford
    Renee Russo
    Sylvester Stallone
    Eli Wallach - membership on Brady Campaigns National Committee
    (Remember Tuco on the "The Good, Bad and the Ugly.")

And all the ones above are people I can recall who used guns in their roles. There are more. See link. Most of us on this board can separate fact from fiction however these people's opinion mean alot just because they are famous. Thank goodness for Charlton Heston. We agreed with him and his fame helped convince others. He was the best.

NRA-ILA :: Fact Sheets

you sure about Bruce Willis? there were some anti NRA signs placed in strategic locations in the die hard films.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaX View Post
    Most of us on this board can separate fact from fiction however these people's opinion mean alot just because they are famous.
    I don't think you will find much agreement with that statement. In reality, I would not know any of these actors' opinions if I didn't read it on this board.

Thank goodness for Charlton Heston. We agreed with him and his fame helped convince others. He was the best.
    Charlton Heston was Moses. Clint Eastwood was Dirty Harry. What's there not to like?

Anyone who puts any extra value into a celebrity's opinion just b/c of their celebrity is a fool.

Oprah, Rosie, Alex Baldwin, Edward Asner et al are no more knowledgeable than you or me. Those people no longer live in the 'real world' and because they don't have to deal with the everyday stuff that we do, their opinions should be taken w/a grain of salt.

They should do like so many others on here have said "Just shut up and entertain us." Don't bleep me off by telling me what to think.

Johnny Depp said it best ... he's an actor.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by jjwestbrook View Post
    you sure about Bruce Willis? there were some anti NRA signs placed in strategic locations in the die hard films.
    Bruce Willis is a gun enthusiast and still goes shooting with Demi Moore and Ashton. That doesn't mean he is pro NRA. He may think they are too willing to compromise.

I'm surprised by George Clooney, he's from Kentucky and that is my home state. KY is a very pro-gun state. I would think Johnny Depp would be pro-gun since he is from KY.

How about Miranda Lambert ? She is very pro-gun and has a CCW. She was ask about CCW and if she was currently carrying by a reporter and she replied that's why it's called concealed. She never confirmed or denied her armed status.

Who cares?

These are people who make a living pretending to be someone else. Most of them are complete idiots, druggies, drunks, and scumbags.

The only reason they are famous is because it's a good way to keep the populace entertained and distracted from the things that are going on that really matter. Things like our elected officials screwing us, and the Fed.Reserve taking over the entire economy.

Ok, I've got to get back to my Barbara Streisand movie now.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Your right sgtD. The enemy will take us over while we are watching Dancing With the Stars (That aren't really stars). Sports, Sex, and entertainment are more important than the economy, energy, mathematics, science, or civil studies. How many high school grads can name the individual bill of rights amendments? How many know the difference between a right and a privilege?

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redrick View Post
    Do you remember Charlton Heston?

Who also marched with Martin Luther king, people forget that part when they slag him.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links