2 NJ bills, worlds apart

This is a discussion on 2 NJ bills, worlds apart within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; 2 bills are currently in committee, 1 would essentially make NJ into a "shall issue," carry state. A1282 Another would change NJ into a "may ...

Thread: 2 NJ bills, worlds apart

2 NJ bills, worlds apart

2 bills are currently in committee, 1 would essentially make NJ into a "shall issue," carry state.
    A1282

Another would change NJ into a "may issue," state-but just to purchase and own a handgun! One would have to prove "justifiable need." This bill would make DC more gun-friendly than NJ.
    A681

Any NJ folks here may want to start pushing their reps to get the first bill to a vote and trash the second.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

2. Remove Ads

RE: the first bill...

d. [Issuance by Superior Court; fee. If the application has been approved by the chief police officer or the superintendent, as the case may be, the applicant shall forthwith present it to the Superior Court of the county in which the applicant resides, or to the Superior Court in any county where he intends to carry a handgun, in the case of a nonresident or employee of an armored car company. The court shall issue the permit to the applicant if, but only if, it is satisfied that the applicant is a person of good character who is not subject to any of the disabilities set forth in section 2C:58-3c., that he is thoroughly familiar with the safe handling and use of handguns, and that he has a justifiable need to carry a handgun. The court may at its discretion issue a limited-type permit which would restrict the applicant as to the types of handguns he may carry and where and for what purposes such handguns may be carried. At the time of issuance, the applicant shall pay to the county clerk of the county where the permit was issued a permit fee of $20.00.]

Not exactly shall issue, but better than the current system.

True, however if you're getting it for general self-defense, its hard for them to limit where you can go(except for the normal places which are off limits anyways), and the type of weapon should only prohibit high-cap magazines and hollowpoints.
    I can't see them able to keep a "custom designed" permit in a shall-issue system since you'll see a lot more people applying, an thus the judges would get bogged down trying to tailor make permits for each individual person.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

I read the second one and got totally confused. I wonder why there is nothing on the NRA site about it.

I think the NRA has long ago gave up on doing anything in the state of NJ....sad sad sad...

Seems like to goes against the recent SC ruling.

I contacted the NRA on both these bills, they said it would be forwarded to the NJ lobbyist.
    Not sure if that means they're taking serious action or not. Hopefully they post on NRA-ILA alerts.
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

How did you contact them? I looked at their website and thought I found a spot, but never got a response.

Guess, I found the right spot. Reply I received:

Dear Mr. XXXXX,

It is a bill, but was not passed. We will continue to oppose bills like this, as well as other legislative priorities. You may view summaries of gun laws here: NRA-ILA :: Gun Laws

Cordially,

XXXXXX
    NRA-ILA Grassroots

Guess there's a lot of crap that comes through state assemblys, so the NRA isn't concerned until it gets higher up the food chain.

This one was pretty bad though, flying directly in the face of the Heller decision.
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

After re-reading, it must have been a year old PRE-FILED FOR INTRODUCTION IN THE 2008 SESSION"

I gotta get out of NJ. If the economy hadn't cratered, I could've retired next year and moved to America. Of course, if the Obamanazis get elected, there might be no America to move to, next year or ever.

Good luck with the retirement. I'm 43 and figure I need to work until I'm about 70.

Links