You don't woo gun owners while treating them like criminals.: MERGED

You don't woo gun owners while treating them like criminals.: MERGED

This is a discussion on You don't woo gun owners while treating them like criminals.: MERGED within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Idaho Examiner: Democrats to gun owners: ?The party is over?"Common Sense News" By Alan Gottlieb and Dave Workman Breaking up is so hard to do. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You don't woo gun owners while treating them like criminals.: MERGED

Thumbs up You don't woo gun owners while treating them like criminals.: MERGED

Idaho Examiner: Democrats to gun owners: ?The party is over?"Common Sense News"

By Alan Gottlieb and Dave Workman

Breaking up is so hard to do. Judging from the Democratic Party platform, remarks from presidential nominee Barack Obama and his selection of anti-gun Sen. Joseph Biden as a running mate, the long, transparent courtship of gun owners by Democrats is over and instead of a goodbye kiss, there was a slap in the face; the political approximation of a domestic assault.

It was inevitable. After Democrats lost Congress in 1994 because their actions brought legions of angry gun owners to the polls, the party re-packaged its rhetoric and tried to sell itself as a friend of the Second Amendment. American gun owners, who are increasingly becoming gun rights activists, are not the fools Democrats think they are. As we note in our new book These Dogs Don’t Hunt: The Democrats’ War On Guns, Democrats earned their reputation as being the party of gun control. Instead of rhetoric, they need to repudiate their long-standing animosity toward gun owner rights.

The party platform tries to patronize gun owners by claiming to “recognize that the right to bear arms is an important part of the American tradition, and we will preserve Americans’ continued Second Amendment right to own and use firearms.” But then the document quickly reveals that Democrats have changed their tune but not their agenda: “We can work together to enact and enforce common-sense laws and improvements, like closing the gun show loophole, improving our background check system and reinstating the assault weapons ban…”

Gun owners know that the ten-year “ban” on so-called “assault weapons” – which included more than 200 types of commonly-owned firearms – had no measurable impact on violent crime, and that reinstating it is all about symbolism rather than substance. They know that gun shows are the source of less than one percent of guns used by violent criminals. They know anti-gunners believe “common-sense laws” include licensing, registration and a surrender of the “right to carry” to the discretionary whims of police chiefs and sheriffs.

The party chose Obama as its standard-bearer. He once served on the board of the vehemently anti-firearms civil rights Joyce Foundation. During his first run for public office he supported a ban on the manufacture, sale and possession of handguns and semi-automatic rifles. He supports mandatory waiting periods on all gun purchases. He told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review in April that “I am not in favor of concealed weapons,” insulting millions of armed citizens who care about self-defense in the process.

Gun owners know Biden as an anti-gun extremist. He consistently earns “F” ratings from gun rights organizations. He claimed credit for writing the original legislation to ban semiautomatic sport-utility rifles that are owned by millions of Americans who have harmed nobody.

The proverbial last straw for the firearms community was Obama’s remark during his acceptance speech that “The reality of gun ownership may be different for hunters in rural Ohio than for those plagued by gang-violence in Cleveland, but don’t tell me we can’t uphold the Second Amendment while keeping AK-47s out of the hands of criminals.”

The “reality” is that gun rights are the same for everyone, no matter where they live. And gun owners know from experience that Democrats falsely believe that the only way to keep guns away from criminals is to oppressively regulate gun ownership for everyone.

Mr. Obama told his faithful that Sen. McCain “doesn’t get it.” Actually, Democrats “don’t get it.” You do not woo people by treating them like criminals, and you cannot “support” someone’s civil right at the same time you regulate it to irrelevancy.

It is now clear to gun owners that Democrats only asked them to the dance just to get through the door.
    great read.

Of all the voting blocks in this country, the democrats have treated gun owners like the biggest bunch of idiots. Do we not know your records?

Biden and Obama telling us our guns are safe is like a suicide bomber telling me that are road flares.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Thanks for sharing. I know with all my heart that everyone on this forum is registered to vote and will do their civic duty this year. I just know this.

Not only am I registered to vote, but I'm going to discontinue my membership in AFGE because they are backing Obama.

I may make some enemies at work, what else is new. No more union dues from this "working man".

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Thanks for sharing. I know with all my heart that everyone on this forum is registered to vote and will do their civic duty this year. I just know this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good article +1
    “Laws that forbid the carrying of arms . . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes . . .
    ----- Thomas Jefferson

NRA member

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I am frequently solicited by AARP. Instead of joining, I send a letter in the postage paid envelope they provide, explaining that I will not join any organization that subverts my rights. Any DC members belonging to AARP, NEA,
    PTA, oh yeah the DNC should do the same. All gun owners should register or reregister as Republicans, the true party of freedom, and send the democrats a message.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Good read and yes, I will be voting again. I am still trying to make up for my very first vote, absentee ballot while in Basic voted for Clinton's first term.

I apologize and will do what I can form now on to make up for it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Real simple - they don't support me and my rights - I don't support them. Guess I should have said we in that last statement cause the wife can't stand the Dems either.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Senior Moderator
    This thread is in danger of turning Poltical and will be closed, if it strays to far.

Be careful of your comments
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

so i take it that we won't be hearing anymore 1/2 truths about the right to "bear" arms and hunting?
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

They forgot two little things.

1) We're the ones with the guns.

2) It's in the Constitution and the SCOTUS just ruled that it's an individual right.

It's going to take several years (probably until new SCOTUS justices are appointed) before we see significant change to gun laws. And even then... We're still the ones with the guns.

If there's ever a mandatory government "gun recall", I think I'll conveniently loose all but one or two...

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

I've always heard...when it's time to bury your guns it just might be time to use them.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

a total ban on guns will not be welcomed in this country. this isn't the UK.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

The best way to win this battle is to do what we have been doing; passing our values and our firearms on to the next generation, and making sure that they understand the importance of both.....

I know there will be no doubt whatsoever on where my 3 boys stand.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

i cant pass my guns down to my 2 dogs, so i need kids. I do plan on starting them younger then when i started. i was plinking with bb's at 12 or so.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links