Is Former Washington Redskin, Ray Schoenke in 2A denial? (Merged)

This is a discussion on Is Former Washington Redskin, Ray Schoenke in 2A denial? (Merged) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Campaign gun issue hits local firing range | chillicothegazette.com | Chillicothe Gazette Former Washington Redskin and president of the American Hunters and Shooters Association Ray ...

Thread: Is Former Washington Redskin, Ray Schoenke in 2A denial? (Merged)

Is Former Washington Redskin, Ray Schoenke in 2A denial? (Merged)

Campaign gun issue hits local firing range | chillicothegazette.com | Chillicothe Gazette

Former Washington Redskin and president of the American Hunters and Shooters Association Ray Schoenke stopped in Clarksburg Wednesday to shoot a couple clay pigeons and talk about how the Second Amendment comes into play in the presidential campaign.
    Advertisement
    Click Here Quantcast

"As a gun rights organization, we believe gun rights should be protected, and it's a right we feel strongly about," Schoenke said, adding he doesn't believe an administration under Barack Obama would decrease gun ownership rights.

"The Supreme Court has ruled the government can't take your guns away," he said. "Neither party is going to take your guns away."

There are differences of opinion on whether Obama's stance on gun ownership actually supports gun owners.

Schoenke said he believes Obama supports Second Amendment rights, including the right to bear arms, in the same manner as his opponent, John McCain. As a hunter, however, he thinks Obama would do a better job preserving land.

"His conservation stance and protection of the land is strong," Schoenke said. "As a hunter, what good is a gun if you have no land to hunt on."

Logan resident Mike Budzik, co-chair of the Ohio Sportsmen for McCain campaign, disagrees.

"Obama is an enemy of the Second Amendment," said Budzik. "He's opposed to concealed-carry laws, which we care about here in Ohio."

Obama has said on the record he would favor legislation tracking guns and gun owners who trade and sell guns illegally.

"His track record shows he is anti-gun, and Biden is also the same," said Budzik, pointing out the National Rifle Association has given him an "F" rating.

"It's America. I have the freedom to hunt and trap and fish, and it's locked up in our heritage," Budzik said. "If it weren't for the gun, we wouldn't be a free nation."

Accompanying Schoenke in Clarksburg was former Ohio lawmaker and Republican Rocky Saxbe, who said he also believes there are issues beyond the Second Amendment that should be more important to voters.

"They should not feel a threat to hunting rights or gun ownership with Obama," said Saxbe, a lifelong hunter and gun owner. "It's not the threat our guns will be taken away; it's the economy and economic challenges."

Schoenke agreed and said he believed McCain would bring poor leadership, just like his Republican predecessor, George W. Bush, if elected to the White House in November.

"We need sound leadership," he said. "Where I come from, if a coach has eight losing seasons, you don't hire the assistant the next year."

That approach has been reflected in the latest blitz of Obama campaign advertising that has begun to air in the broadcast media across the state in the past week.
    i've started hearing this ads in Vegas and i am amazed at how ignorant this man can be. what credibility does the AHSA have? I have never heard of them until they endorsed the gun hater.
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    He's just a hunter (no disrespect to hunters, obviously), and like many hunters doesn't really see a connection with the 2A outside of hunting. It's the very old, very sad story of "well, they aren't after my (whatever), so I don't care if they take the (whatevers) away from those other folks. I don't think the schism between folks who only use guns to hunt and those of us who use them for defensive purposes will ever really be resolved...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I ran into this exact same thinking with another traditional background hunter that I know personally on Friday.
    He stated to me in so many words to my face that people who conceal carry are "sketchy" and that he'd feel more comfortable with open carry though he saw no good need for citizens to be carrying at all. We had been discussing MA firearm laws and it's FID to LTC maze in regard to his ability to hunt in state.
    He has no clue that I carry concealed, andat the moment I choose to not bring it up...as I was carrying right then concealed and being 'sketchy'.

Sadly many people and hunters in specific have the same view as the AHSA and Schoenke.
    I'm working on my guy IRL although he's young, just turned 21, and likely won't hear what I'm saying for some time later when it comes back as a recollection. Which sadly may be too late for us all.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

He must have played a lot with no helmet.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

ASHA is NOT a gun rights organization. This is a ruse, kind of like a nation calling themselves People's Democratic Republic.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Looks like another Obama coolaid drinker
    Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company.- George Washington
    Serving Since 1985- "Airborne"

I beleive that the ASHA is actually associated with the Brady Bunch as a "Moderate" gun rights group. They use it to promote "gun owners fed up with the NRA".
    Check out the link below.Gun Law News - American Hunters and Shooters Association

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    American Hunters and Shooters is a front organization for the anti-gun movement. Their ranks are primarily made up of individuals with deep roots in the anti-gun movement like Schoenke. They are as rediculous as John Kerry was, when he tried to portray himself as a hunter. In fact, they endorsed him.
    Their goal is to trick people into voting for the wrong candidate and they consistantly endorse candidates with anti-gun, anti-hunting records like Obama.
    AHSA has been unanamously denounced by the NRA, The Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms and the Second Amendment Foundation.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Alot of hunters that I have spoke with have bought into the media and governments view that a person doesn't need certain firearms.
    I have heard many times that you don't need a 30 round magazine to hunt deer or rabbits with.

Many times I see pro 2nd amendment folks getting sucked into trying to counter this argument. The antis try to make it look like a hunting or sports shooting thing. We cant let this happen quietly.

The 2nd amendment has nothing to do with hunting or target practice so why try to argue the point with them?

Michael

They are clear supporters of the Brady Campaign. Ray himself has contributed THOUSANDS of dollars to them.

NRA supports gun owners' rights, not radicals | greatfallstribune.com | Great Falls Tribune

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Alot of hunters that I have spoke with have bought into the media and governments view that a person doesn't need certain firearms.
    I have heard many times that you don't need a 30 round magazine to hunt deer or rabbits with.

Many times I see pro 2nd amendment folks getting sucked into trying to counter this argument. The antis try to make it look like a hunting or sports shooting thing. We cant let this happen quietly.

The 2nd amendment has nothing to do with hunting or target practice so why try to argue the point with them?

Michael
    That way when a politician says I support the 2A and the rights of hunters, you know that's code for I want to ban handguns and limit gunowners in any way I can.
    Like you said, the 2A is not about hunting(although that is a legal use).
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

AHSA: Liberal front group for gun control

The American Hunters and Shooters Association (AHSA) is an organization involved in advocacy for gun control.

[1] Its critics claim that AHSA is a front organization aimed at dividing gun owners by pointing to AHSA members' bias against private ownership of the most popular modern sporting firearms, and note AHSA leaders have donated money to gun control groups

[2] and maintained ties to individuals and organizations who advocate gun control.

[3] Despite the similarity in name, AHSA has no ties to the field marksmanship promoting organization, the Hunter's Shooting Association (HSA).

The leaders of the AHSA are:

* Ray Schoenke, founding president [10] A former football player for the Washington Redskins, Schoenke ran for Governor of Maryland as a Democrat and has given "millions" to Democratic politicians and causes according to a January 19, 1998 Washington Post article.[11] Among the groups that Schoenke has donated to are two that actively lobby to ban firearms: Handgun Control, Inc.[12][13] and America Coming Together. Schoenke was on the Governor's Commission on Gun Violence in 1996.

American Hunters and Shooters Association - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

-----------------

just incase anyone was confused. the enemy has been playing AHSA based ads on the radio...do not be fooled!
    Let's Roll - Todd Beamer

MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Good Post, thanks for the info!
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Links