Defensive Carry banner

Would you participate in organized militia training by your state?

• Yes

Votes: 165 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 30 15.4%

Short of a draft would you be willing:

4K views 62 replies 51 participants last post by  agentmel 
#1 ·
Article 1, Section 8, Clause 16 states.

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

Assuming that the congress is unwilling to start the draft process again, and the military continues to be streched thin. Would you be willing to participate in training and exercises called on by your state or local government (would depend on how things were set up) as part of the Militia? It would not be full blown enlistment into your states National Gaurd or Reserves, but organized training exercises in weaponry, movement and organization readiness.

#3 ·
That depends. I don't think my state is going to foot the bill for my further training and development without asking for something in return such as enlistment. If my state's governor stands up and declares a state of emergency and requests all able bodied citizens who are willing to retain this state's security against foreign or domestic terrorists or tyranny, I might just do it for food and water and any benefits that might be due my family for my enlisting. I would under the right circumstances. Put me down for more than likely I guess?

#5 ·
Too old, but it all depends.

There are many opportunities for individuals to do volunteer activities which benefit their fellow man. Voluntary participation in a state operated militia be yet another--but then, don't we already do this with the National Guard?

I think you are asking about something less formal, less time consuming, and so an answer could only make sense in the context of the details of a specific proposal; how much time, when, where, pay?, benefits? personal liability? armed? unarmed? what duties?

Most people, if they can get through their personal lives with a little spare time and wish to find a way to help humanity, can find a way. A voluntary state militia might be one more option, but as already written, it all depends. Devil is in the details.

#6 ·
Until I saw how organized militia could be and was mis-used (e.g., Katrina/Rita - using the available manpower to hunt and confiscate guns, instead of helping people to evacuate. :rant:), I have long wished for such opportunity. Now, I think I'd just as soon hunker down with my friends and family for defense - until something happens to restore my faith and trust in "Organized." :ticking:
I hate to sound so skeptical because that's not my real disposition (I consider myself an optimist), but I am careful about any obligations I incur.
As you present it though, I would be (cautiously) interested. :scruntiny:

(Assuming it's not even REMOTELY related ot Obama's "Brown Shirts," of course!!)

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.

#7 ·
Yes.

-B

#10 ·
I think if the Governor declared a state of emergency and the local Sheriff was calling for all able-bodied CCW holders - YES. The Sheriff issues our permits and I've wondered if we'd get the call if SHTF and there were no other assets available. I think I would be considered too old at 50, but you never know.

#12 ·
It would depend on many things, but most likely it would be Yes for me. I live in a border state, so I can really see this as a possibility one day when people in D.C. figure our a porous border goes against national security.

I would only ask that my family be taken care of while I am away, as much as possible anyway. I have life insurance, but I'm not sure if battle would void it, so there is that aspect of it as well.

#14 ·
Hey, I'm game...old, well experienced in life, mean spirited, determined to come back alive, willing to ventilate suspected terrorist types...just when is the bus leaving?

#16 ·
Yes I would be willing to sign up for state militia training.

I would not, however, be willing to put myself in any situation in which I might be deployed overseas. I disagree with our current administration and am not optimistic about the next one's judgment either.

However, I'm all for being prepared and organized to defend my hometown.

Peace,
Pete Zaria.

#20 ·
If called upon to serve my country or my state I would not hesitate for an instant and I would consider it a great honor.

#21 ·
immidiatly. though i am already in the army i'd gladly pull MITT duty for unorganised militia in the event of a major attack against my nation.

#24 ·
There is an important preliminary question: whether the State would be willing to have me....(with apologies to Groucho Marx, I'm not sure I want to be a member of club that's willing to take me sort of thing).

For the State to be willing to train me, things would probably be so bad that there likely wouldn't be much of a "State" left. At that point it might not be a matter of who was willing to train or be trained - - necessity might deprive of us of those niceties.

Picture "Red Dawn" (or Berlin in April, 1945).

#25 ·
If SHTF and they needed able bodies, I'd have to say No for medical reasons, but If I could take the place of an able body at a desk or something I was able to do and they go, then Yes.

#26 ·
In todays world I hate to agree or disagree. If/When they do the 700 billion dollar bailout and we have civil revolt, and are declared a state of emergency, will you pick up arms to help the government suppress your fellow citizens?

I have trouble with the whole thing. But barring that, yeah sure I'd help protect my country against foreign invaders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.