Short of a draft would you be willing:

This is a discussion on Short of a draft would you be willing: within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Article 1, Section 8, Clause 16 states. To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may ...

View Poll Results: Would you participate in organized militia training by your state?

Voters
195. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

165 84.62%
  • No

30 15.38%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Short of a draft would you be willing:

Short of a draft would you be willing:

Article 1, Section 8, Clause 16 states.

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

Assuming that the congress is unwilling to start the draft process again, and the military continues to be streched thin. Would you be willing to participate in training and exercises called on by your state or local government (would depend on how things were set up) as part of the Militia? It would not be full blown enlistment into your states National Gaurd or Reserves, but organized training exercises in weaponry, movement and organization readiness.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Yes
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

That depends. I don't think my state is going to foot the bill for my further training and development without asking for something in return such as enlistment. If my state's governor stands up and declares a state of emergency and requests all able bodied citizens who are willing to retain this state's security against foreign or domestic terrorists or tyranny, I might just do it for food and water and any benefits that might be due my family for my enlisting. I would under the right circumstances. Put me down for more than likely I guess?

Yes

VIP Member
    Too old, but it all depends.

There are many opportunities for individuals to do volunteer activities which benefit their fellow man. Voluntary participation in a state operated militia be yet another--but then, don't we already do this with the National Guard?

I think you are asking about something less formal, less time consuming, and so an answer could only make sense in the context of the details of a specific proposal; how much time, when, where, pay?, benefits? personal liability? armed? unarmed? what duties?

Most people, if they can get through their personal lives with a little spare time and wish to find a way to help humanity, can find a way. A voluntary state militia might be one more option, but as already written, it all depends. Devil is in the details.

Until I saw how organized militia could be and was mis-used (e.g., Katrina/Rita - using the available manpower to hunt and confiscate guns, instead of helping people to evacuate. ), I have long wished for such opportunity. Now, I think I'd just as soon hunker down with my friends and family for defense - until something happens to restore my faith and trust in "Organized."
    I hate to sound so skeptical because that's not my real disposition (I consider myself an optimist), but I am careful about any obligations I incur.
    As you present it though, I would be (cautiously) interested.

(Assuming it's not even REMOTELY related ot Obama's "Brown Shirts," of course!!)

Stay safe,

Chuck Brick.
    Why do I use 230 gr. for my .45acp?
    Because I can't find a source of 250 gr!
    http://chucksrantings.blogspot.com/

BAC
    Yes.

-B

Yes.

Yes.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I think if the Governor declared a state of emergency and the local Sheriff was calling for all able-bodied CCW holders - YES. The Sheriff issues our permits and I've wondered if we'd get the call if SHTF and there were no other assets available. I think I would be considered too old at 50, but you never know.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

what sniper58 said....
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

It would depend on many things, but most likely it would be Yes for me. I live in a border state, so I can really see this as a possibility one day when people in D.C. figure our a porous border goes against national security.

I would only ask that my family be taken care of while I am away, as much as possible anyway. I have life insurance, but I'm not sure if battle would void it, so there is that aspect of it as well.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

60 years old and yes.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Hey, I'm game...old, well experienced in life, mean spirited, determined to come back alive, willing to ventilate suspected terrorist types...just when is the bus leaving?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Hey, I'm game...old, well experienced in life, mean spirited, determined to come back alive, willing to ventilate suspected terrorist types...just when is the bus leaving?

You sir are recalled to serve in Michigan.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links