NRA: media is being strong armed into dropping "false" NRA ad: Merged - Page 3

NRA: media is being strong armed into dropping "false" NRA ad: Merged

This is a discussion on NRA: media is being strong armed into dropping "false" NRA ad: Merged within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Newsmax.com – Obama Wants NRA Ads Banned The Obama camp has been threatening television and radio stations to keep them from airing anti-Obama ads. The ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NRA: media is being strong armed into dropping "false" NRA ad: Merged

Obama Wants NRA Ads Banned

Newsmax.com – Obama Wants NRA Ads Banned

The Obama camp has been threatening television and radio stations to keep them from airing anti-Obama ads.

The latest target is the NRA and stations in Pennsylvania.

Earlier this week, the National Rifle Association's Political Victory Fund released a series of radio and television spots to educate gun owners and sportsmen about Barack Obama's longstanding anti-gun record. In response to the NRA-PVF ads, a clearly panicked Obama campaign and the Democratic National Committee (DNC) are doing everything they can to hide Obama's real record by mounting a coordinated assault on the First Amendment.

They have gone to desperate and outrageous lengths to try to silence your NRA by bullying media outlets with threats of lawsuits if they run NRA-PVF's ads.

The Obama camp is particularly angry with an NRA ad entitled "Hunter" which lays out Obama's record on gun control.

Other NRA ads include "Way of Life" and another focusing on Joe Biden's record, "Defend Freedom, Defeat Obama."

This week, Obama's campaign general counsel Bob Bauer wrote seeking to censor the ads at stations in Pennsylvania.

"Unlike federal candidates, independent political organizations do not have a 'right to command the use of broadcast facilities,'" Bauer writes. "Moreover, you have a duty 'to protect the public from false, misleading or deceptive advertising.'"

"This advertising is false, misleading, and deceptive," Bauer continued. "We request that you immediately cease airing this advertising."

The NRA says Obama's camp are sending out these "intimidating cease and desist letters" to cable operators and television stations, threatening their FCC licenses if they run the ads.

The NRA charged that "Obama and the DNC have been using strong-arm tactics reminiscent of Chicago machine politics to try and cover up the truth and silence NRA by forcing the stations to assist them in hiding Obama's radical anti-gun record."

And now, Obama and the DNC have opened a new front in their assault on your First Amendment rights by calling on their followers to contact these station managers to demand that the stations not run NRA-PVF's ads.

NRA stands behind the accuracy of these ads, and NRA attorneys have responded to the Obama campaign's despicable and abusive attempt to trample on the First Amendment by sending a thorough rebuttal to station managers. This rebuttal clearly and conclusively refutes the Obama campaign's fallacious claims that the ads are inaccurate.

The NRA has set up a Web site detailing its position on Obama at Gun Ban Barack Obama.

Anyone seen any of these ad's yet?
    It'll be intresting to see if this story gets any further in the national media AND if the NRA's information will be validated OR if they'll back Obama's claim of NRA deceit.

This kinda smacks Obama's position 'shift' and hints of bans that the DC vs. Heller decision didn't address (ie. "reasonable restrictions")
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

he knows that the NRA & the gun owners & other sportsman's votes will be his defeat

VIP Member
    Ya'll know that these threads are only allowed when they are 2A related. General politics = closed and gone.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

First they take away the second amendment and then the rest one by one.They are already trying to trample on the first amendment,every attempt by any government to control it's population is by disarming them and then controlling all media outlets to print or air only what they approve.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Corral the media, and you're halfway home. His campaign folks aren't complete idiots. Suppress the ability of the truthful record to be examined, then you can end up like many other political hacks: electable.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    I recently wrote a letter to my local paper....the editorial editor called, left a message on my phone telling me what I could and couldn't write! That would be 1st Amend.....but I was writing about Obama and the second...here tis, he finally printed it after I made some adjustment...

Some people are under the mistaken impression that Mr. Obama is the cure all for gun owners. Well I for one don’t believe it. According to many reputable sources it is fact that Mr. Obama supports things like: a ban on handguns, a 500 percent increase in taxes on firearms and ammunition, a ban on the most common hunting ammunition, a ban on gun stores located within five miles of a school or a park, and prosecuting people who use a gun for self-defense in their home. So much for the ‘rights of the people.’
    The Clinton Gun Ban, which did nothing to stop crime, would be resurrected to waste more of our money. I’m sick and tired of the Liberal minds who, like Lemmings, follow Mr. Obama as if he is Moses stepped down from Mount Sinai reincarnate.
    Did you know that ‘the shot heard around the world’ was fired by a civilian? Did you know that the right to self defense pre-dates the Constitution? Did you ever stop and think think that you might actually enjoy recreational shooting? Anti-gunners, read and educate yourselves not with liberal diatribe, but with facts and history. Mr. Obama has called himself, ‘...a citizen of the world.’, I’m just as happy to call myself an American.

I was asked to qualify, not with Blogs, but with REAL data and websites, where I got my numbers.....can you believe? I sent him a link to the Brady Bunch.....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    He wants to stop the NRA ads and the people in hell want ice water - don't think either will succeed.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Factscheck.org is a joke! They obtained most of their information via Obama's campaign, or simply took him at his word. (lol). Thay are a subsidiary of the Annenberg Foundation, another anti-gun group, with ties to the Brady bunch. Face it, Osama's afraid of the truth and will go to any lengths to conceal it.
    I also consulted my brother who's an attorney. He states that public figures can't be libeled or slandered because as public figures they assume criticism of themselves whether that criticism be true or false. The SCOTUS affirmed this. Lets face it, if politicians could sue, George W. Bush has an airtight case, after what he's been through.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links