Wash. AG Says Mayor Nickels Can't Ban Guns

Wash. AG Says Mayor Nickels Can't Ban Guns

This is a discussion on Wash. AG Says Mayor Nickels Can't Ban Guns within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wash. AG Says Mayor Nickels Can't Ban Guns - News Story - KIRO Seattle ______________________________ SEATTLE -- Washington’s Attorney General Rob McKenna said Monday that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wash. AG Says Mayor Nickels Can't Ban Guns

Arrow Wash. AG Says Mayor Nickels Can't Ban Guns

Wash. AG Says Mayor Nickels Can't Ban Guns - News Story - KIRO Seattle

SEATTLE -- Washington’s Attorney General Rob McKenna said Monday that cities in Washington cannot enact local laws that prohibit the possession of firearms on city property or in city-owned property.

In June, Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels announced a plan to restrict weapons on city property. In his announcement, Nickels said the city had the right to develop gun-free zones and policies for all city property.

In the Revised Code of Washington, a collection of permanent laws enacted by the Legislature, one law prevents "a city’s authority to adopt firearm laws or regulations when applied to the general public, unless specifically authorized by state law," according to McKenna’s opinion.

McKenna’s opinion was a response to questions raised by several state lawmakers.

Nickels’ plan came to light about two weeks after a shooting at Seattle Center's Folklife Festival, where a man fired a gun, injuring three people.

A man who had a concealed weapons permit was arrested. Police said he had a history of drug abuse and mental health problems.

Nickels said then that the threat of another shooting at a public gathering kept him up at night.

A man who had a concealed weapons permit was arrested. Police said he had a history of drug abuse and mental health problems.
    Makes me wonder how he passed the BI. Especially since he had a history.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

Quote Originally Posted by Divebum47 View Post
    OK, so he had a history (somebody messed up), arrest him, convict him, and put him away for a very long time...but don't punish the honest and responsibility gun owners.

Stay armed...it's not gun control, it's criminal control...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Get the mayor a night job at the mental health institution, problem solved.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Criminal Background checks aren't going to yield such information absent an arrest or conviction.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

I've taken too many aspirin on occasion and got depressed when my dog died. I guess I have a history or drug abuse and mental health problems? Things are not always as they seem at first glance.

Please go back and read the outcome of the case in the original thread. The prosecutors offered no evidence of mental illness in the trial.

Basically this appears to be an unfounded statement that now gets recycled because it was initially put out there.

-john

This is a perfect example of the liberal media biased complete distortion of the facts. What was eventually established as fact but never printed was that a group of known druggies a fixture at Seattle street festivals known as the Seattle Tribe saw a legally armed citizen legally concealed fire arm in an ankle holster. Intoxicated members of the Seattle Tribe took it upon themselves to disarm the citizen because his gun offended their sensibilities. In the ensuing struggle two uninvolved citizens were shot and injured. The legally armed citizen is not the one who had the issues with drug addiction or mental illness.

The incident report says the assailants who have a history of mental illness and drug abuse attacked a law abiding citizen that resulted in to innocent people being injured

Due the media's anti gun bias the assailant becomes the Concealed Weapons Permit Holder not the druggies. After all he was the one with the gun, like the druggies assuming gun ownership is evil. So begins the campaign of anti gun propaganda. That results in the gun owners life being destroyed. Even gun owners who did not bother to investigate the facts are calling for the gun owners head.

It is no wonder we are losing are our rights when gun owners believe anything the media says about guns without any investigation of their own. Like the myth that gun control works. How many do you know that think gun control, background checks, permits, waiting periods etc reduce crime? Why do they think that? Must be because they saw it on TV. Because there is no legitimate research anywhere that says it does. No one can even find one instance of a background check ever stopping a crime.

Please before calling for a fellow gun owner to lose his God given Constitutionally protected rights, know that your facts are correct. At three my daughter knew seeing it on TV did not make it real or true
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Please go back and read the outcome of the case in the original thread. The prosecutors offered no evidence of mental illness in the trial.

Basically this appears to be an unfounded statement that now gets recycled because it was initially put out there.

-john
    FYI:

Local News | Suspect in Folklife Festival shooting held on $350,000 bail | Seattle Times Newspaper

Prosecutors called Grainger a danger to the community, and said he is under medical care because he has schizophrenia and is in a methadone program.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Matiki, note the dates on those articles. Yours posted May 26 (regarding bail setting), the one I site Aug 29 (regarding case outcome).

The prosecutors said a lot of things to the press, but in the end, did not submit any evidence in the actual case.

From the Aug 29 PI article:
    Despite earlier statements to the contrary, prosecutors did not offer any evidence Friday that Grainger suffers from the mental illness.

"He has never had any schizophrenia," Hammer said. "He was legally qualified to possess a firearm."
    -john

When you have an antigun Mayor, an antigun Prosecutor, and anti gun newspapers and tv stations these are the kind if lies that get distributed. This case is a perfect example of what we have to fight against here in the Seattle area.

Matiki, note the dates on those articles. Yours posted May 26 (regarding bail setting), the one I site Aug 29 (regarding case outcome).

The prosecutors said a lot of things to the press, but in the end, did not submit any evidence in the actual case.

From the Aug 29 PI article:

-john
    OK I'll be more specific.

Not submitting evidence only means that they did not submit evidence.

It does not mean:

* There's no evidence
    * There's no mental illness
    * There's no drug problem

It only means the prosecutor didn't go down that route.

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    OK I'll be more specific.

Not submitting evidence only means that they did not submit evidence.

It does not mean:

* There's no evidence
    * There's no mental illness
    * There's no drug problem

It only means the prosecutor didn't go down that route.
    So you saying this guy was a nutcase? If so, you believe that because?

As noted in the other article, there does appear to be the suggestion he was in treatment for drug abuse, but no mention of current use.

Grainger was also ordered to continue treatment for heroin addiction.
    I guess I'm just a stickler for the innocent until *proven* guilty part.

Not to mention I have an issue with the prosecution saying things to the press that it didn't substantiate in the trial.

-john

So you saying this guy was a nutcase? If so, you believe that because?
    I don't know one way or the other, that's my point. Nothing in this thread proves one way or the other does it? There's a lot of opinion in this thread based on the absence of information, rather than the presence of it.

As noted in the other article, there does appear to be the suggestion he was in treatment for drug abuse, but no mention of current use.
    You cannot be in treatment and legally have a CPL here.

I guess I'm just a stickler for the innocent until *proven* guilty part.

-john
    I think he was proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. But that's just my $.02.

King Nickels Moving Forward with Ban

Local News | AG says Nickels' authority restricted on guns | Seattle Times Newspaper

(sic)"While we appreciate the Attorney General's opinion, we have a moral responsibility to pursue common-sense gun laws," Nickels said in a statement.

"We cannot wait for another incident, or another victim. Our communities face real consequences if our state fails to act and I am hopeful that we will get further clarity on this issue. The simple fact is our public buildings, events, parks and community centers are safer without guns."(sic)
    How surprising.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links