N.O. woman gets new gun after Katrina confiscation

This is a discussion on N.O. woman gets new gun after Katrina confiscation within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I remember seeing this video on the news and feeling bad for her enduring a take-down like that. YouTube - Patricia Konie A New Orleans ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N.O. woman gets new gun after Katrina confiscation

VIP Member

I remember seeing this video on the news and feeling bad for her enduring a take-down like that.

YouTube - Patricia Konie

A New Orleans woman whose gun was confiscated by law enforcement officers in the days after Katrina, and who was injured during the incident at her home, got a brand new 38-caliber revolver Wednesday, courtesy of the Gun Owners of America.

61-year-old Patricia Konie says getting a new gun is a great idea because now she's more afraid of police than she was before.

Konie says she was devastated when officers took her gun, but was even more devastated when they tackled her to get the weapon, and in the process broke her collarbone.

Congressman Steve Scalise and Larry Pratt, executive director of the Gun Owners of America, presented the new gun to Konie. Scalise calls the gun confiscation "a national tragedy".

"People all across this nation were shocked when they saw this actually happened to a law-abiding American citizen in their home," Scalise said.

The incident led to a lawsuit filed by the National Rifle Association and the Gun Owners of America for infringing on Konie's 2nd Amendment rights. The suit was recently dropped after all sides agreed that confiscated firearms would be returned to their owners.

Scalise and Pratt say the gun taken from Konie has never been returned.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

And no one has been prosecuted for the taking of her property.
    Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

The suit should not have been dropped until ALL of the firearms were returned to their rightful owners. The City of New Orleans should have paid for her new revolver, not GOA - but good for them anyway.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

I'm glad someone is willing to support her, and give back what it was taken. Unfortunately, it isn't who was responsible for it. After you drop a lawsuit like this, you cannot ensure these people will get back their guns, or make sure it is done in a time effective manner. Kind of a sad story.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

BAC
    Those responsible need to be prosecuted for theft. They stole property and ought to be punished accordingly.

-B

Not sure if this was talked about in other threads, but did you notice that lady, probably her daughter, standing in the backround then they tackled her?

What would you have done if that was you and your mother was tackled like that and injured?

I know I'd be going down for assault on an officer if that was me standing there...
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

Quote Originally Posted by svinfinity45 View Post
    Not sure if this was talked about in other threads, but did you notice that lady, probably her daughter, standing in the backround then they tackled her?

What would you have done if that was you and your mother was tackled like that and injured?

I know I'd be going down for assault on an officer if that was me standing there...
    I know doubt I'd have the self control.
    The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says, "Go Away" in every language.

Fast is fine, accuracy is final. Learn to be slow in a hurry.

"I never met a man that had been in a gunfight and wished that he had a smaller gun. Ever."

"The suit was recently dropped after all sides agreed." Outrageous, no punitive example set? Not happy with the NRA law suit dropping pansies.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

BAC
    Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    "The suit was recently dropped after all sides agreed." Outrageous, no punitive example set? Not happy with the NRA law suit dropping pansies.
    This is exactly why I cannot support the NRA. Worse to me is that the state attorneys didn't come down like the wrath of an angry god on those responsible for the confiscations (aka "mass thefts"). Compromise like this makes a mockery of the rule of law.

-B

Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    The suit should not have been dropped until ALL of the firearms were returned to their rightful owners. The City of New Orleans should have paid for her new revolver, not GOA - but good for them anyway.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    + 1 Punitive damages were certainly in order. Nagen et al deserved to go to jail.

The only good thing to come out of this is that that moron Nagen, and the Chief of Police both received permanent injunctions from ever doing it [confiscating firearms] again.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    This is exactly why I cannot support the NRA. Worse to me is that the state attorneys didn't come down like the wrath of an angry god on those responsible for the confiscations (aka "mass thefts"). Compromise like this makes a mockery of the rule of law.

-B
    Oh my God! I guess all those thousands of dollars you sent to the NRA to pay for the lawyers in this lawsuit went to waste, right?

Or to what gun association fighting the city of New Orleans did you send money for the lawsuit?

Did you send any money to pay for three years of lawyers so gun owners could recover their weapons?

Since when the NRA became an entitlement program for Gun Owners?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

BAC
    Wrong in its entirety.

There are a number of reasons I don't support the NRA, and willingness to compromise where crimes have been committed is just one more reason. They pushed "far enough" to make a statement, not far enough to punish law-breakers like they should have done. That this push in any fashion came from an association relating to guns instead of from the State is an embarrassment to the rule of law; if you and I were to have done exactly the same as these police officers, or had been in charge of a group of people and ordered them to do exactly the same as these police officers, you and I both know how different a turnout that would be.

This has absolutely nothing to do with entitlements, and everything to do with a miscarriage of justice. The State of Louisiana should have come down hard on New Orleans and everyone involved in that fiasco. Those who broke the law and who ordered others to break the law ought to be behind bars like anyone else would be. The property stolen from citizens, no matter WHAT the property is, ought to be returned as part of the State ensuring justice serves. The NRA just happened to be involved because guns were the particular property stolen.

-B

In response to the O.P., good for her, and good for 2A P.R.! The rest of the thread has somehow turned into a political argument from my view. Something good has been done here for whatever reason. Simple as that. I may or may not disagree with the rest of you on the OTHER issues, but then again....that should be in a different thread.

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    The incident led to a lawsuit filed by the National Rifle Association and the Gun Owners of America for infringing on Konie's 2nd Amendment rights. The suit was recently dropped after all sides agreed that confiscated firearms would be returned to their owners.
    It seems that the GOA dropped the ball just as much if not more than the NRA did. If you feel that punitive damages were in order. How is that for "no-compromising"?
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Maybe the NRA had other political reasons for there actions that are unknown to the public, who knows. It does make them look like quite the panty-droppers though. I'm still a life member, and they did at least put up a fight in the first place. I would even like to see an assault charge brought against the officer in the video the link provided..although it is edited so you don't see and hear the events immediately prior to the tackling so I can't make a 100% statement to that.
    "I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links