The Mets are loaded

The Mets are loaded

This is a discussion on The Mets are loaded within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Go ahead, Met fans - make their day. Sluggers David Wright and Carlos Delgado are two of the city's newest young guns - both were ...

The Mets are loaded

Go ahead, Met fans - make their day.

Sluggers David Wright and Carlos Delgado are two of the city's newest young guns - both were granted pistol permits over the last year.

Wright's permit allows him to keep a handgun at his $6 million Flatiron District penthouse. The Met third baseman, a 25-year- old Virginia native, is no stranger to pistols; his father is a police chief.

First baseman Delgado, 36, applied for a permit to carry a gun - which was denied - but was granted permission to keep one in his Upper East Side apartment, according to a source familiar with the process.

Former Met Shawn Green, 35, also applied for a carry permit last year, but was denied, the source said.

Wright and Delgado, whose team has enraged and disappointed fans two years in a row with late-season collapses, are among some 36,000 people with gun permits in the Big Apple - a list that includes celebrities, billionaires and politicians.

The number of permits has dropped to 35,210, following a downward trend since 2003, when there were 41,173 active license holders, according to the NYPD, which issues the permits.

"The process can be intimidating and grueling. It may take up to 18 months," said Manhattan lawyer John Chambers, who has specialized in gun licenses for 20 years. "And New York is probably one of the most difficult cities in which to get a concealed-carry license."

It costs $340 to file a permit application, and there's a $94.25 fingerprinting fee.

Among those permitted to carry guns are Robert De Niro, artificial-heart inventor Robert Jarvik, Donald Trump and billionaire supermarket king John Catsimatidis.

To qualify for carry permits, applicants must show documented threats against them or prove that they routinely transport cash or valuables in business.

Carrying a firearm without a permit is a felony punishable by more than a year in prison. Permit holders must get them renewed every three years.

Gristedes grocery mogul Catsimatidis, who mulled an election run against anti-gun Mayor Bloomberg, has held a license for nearly 30 years, said spokesman Rob Ryan.

"He got it back then for the obvious reasons," Ryan said. "New York was a very different place back then. If the business lost a day's worth of receipts, it could drive him out of business."

Permit holder Alexis Stewart, daughter of homemaking queen and ex-convict Martha Stewart, told The Post that she applied for a gun license after 9/11.

She said she got a gun, now kept in a lockbox in her $3 million TriBeCa apartment, to euthanize her elderly dogs in the event that another calamity struck and forced her to abandon them.

"I had two very old English bulldogs," said Stewart, who hosts a show on her mother's Sirius Satellite Radio channel.

"They could never make it out of Manhattan. I could never leave my dogs to die of thirst in my apartment, so I looked on it as a euthanasia situation. I would never kill my pets unless they were going to die anyway."

Trump's sons, Eric and Donald Jr., also have permits to keep guns in their residences. His daughter, Ivanka, does not.

ARTICLE

You have to have a permit just to HAVE a gun in your apartment? And $340 for the permit and $94.25 for fingerprinting is ourtrageous! $435-ish is an OUTRAGEOUS price to pay to exercise a right that is guaranteed to you!

Thats a far cry from North Dakota where total cost on my permit was a shade less than $55.
    ‘‘To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them...’’

— Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by mrreynolds View Post
    She said she got a gun, now kept in a lockbox in her $3 million TriBeCa apartment, to euthanize her elderly dogs in the event that another calamity struck and forced her to abandon them.

"I had two very old English bulldogs," said Stewart, who hosts a show on her mother's Sirius Satellite Radio channel.

"They could never make it out of Manhattan. I could never leave my dogs to die of thirst in my apartment, so I looked on it as a euthanasia situation. I would never kill my pets unless they were going to die anyway.".....
    Let me make sure I understand this.

Your average Joe can't have a gun since it evidently takes an attorney to make sure your permit is handled properly. But if you're someone famous you can have one so that you can euthanize your dogs!!?? Isn't it illegal to euthanize your dog yourself in NYC!!??

WTH!?
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    Let me make sure I understand this.

Your average Joe can't have a gun since it evidently takes an attorney to make sure your permit is handled properly. But if you're someone famous you can have one so that you can euthanize your dogs!!?? Isn't it illegal to euthanize your dog yourself in NYC!!??

WTH!?
    Only if your not a multi millionaire!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Well as a Mets fan it is nice to see they got ownership permits.

But isn't being famous (athlete, actor) a reasonable profession in which CCW should be granted?

Should David Wright or Carlos Delgado not be allowed to protect himself from a potentially crazy fan? After all, what is Robert DiNiro's excuse for being granted his permit?

NYC is a nightmare for CCW. NY in general is not a very friendly pistol state. You cannot even buy one without getting a permit first.

So what else is new?

That's the way it is in the two (NY & LA) largest cities in the nation. No CCW permits unless you are rich, famous or both.

If you're 'Joe the Plumber' you are SOL.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Back when I used to work there, someone had told me once that your first application to CCW is always denied-pretty much to see if you will appeal it. True or not, I don't know, but if you have to pay even more fees to appeal, then I have no trouble believing it.

If this stuff surprise you...don't get out to vote.

Coming soon to a neighborhood in your area...

Stay armed...VOTE...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Why is this published in the paper? Why does the public need to know that these players may be armed? Perhaps I'm being paranoid today, but why paint a target on these two guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Dany View Post
    You have to have a permit just to HAVE a gun in your apartment? And $340 for the permit and $94.25 for fingerprinting is ourtrageous! $435-ish is an OUTRAGEOUS price to pay to exercise a right that is guaranteed to you!

Thats a far cry from North Dakota where total cost on my permit was a shade less than $55.
    This is why I posted this. Welcome from my crazy state. Once outside the 5 boros thing ease up the futher north and west of the city that you go. It is and always be the golden rule. Those with the gold will make the rules.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    You forgot to tell them that SELF DEFENSE is not justification to carry.....just for money....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

i'd love to know how many otherwise law-abiding, tax paying citizens have to continually break the law to be safe in that city. my dad did it for 30 years.

I find it ironic that the 2 cities with anti gun tendancies are the two on my list for not visiting at night.

Shoot your dogs......really? At your apartment? Guarantee shes not on the first floor. Sucks for the neighbor below her.

Did she put that reason on her application?

1.Reason for applying to carry a concealed weapon.
    ANSWER: In an emergency I will shoot my elderly dogs.

This article literally made me LOL!
    -mac
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Links