Would you support a ban on kids under 21 from firing a fully automatic weapon?

This is a discussion on Would you support a ban on kids under 21 from firing a fully automatic weapon? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; With the death of the 8 year old Christopher Bizilj at a gun event, there is talk of banning people under the age of 21 ...

View Poll Results: Would you support the banning of people under 21 from firing a fully automatic weapon

Voters
198. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, kids shouldn't be doing that, even with parents permission.

15 7.58%
  • No, parents should have the right to decide.

183 92.42%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you support a ban on kids under 21 from firing a fully automatic weapon?

With the death of the 8 year old Christopher Bizilj at a gun event, there is talk of banning people under the age of 21 from firing a fully automatic weapon.

For those that have not heard the story, here are links to the news articles. Basically a father and his 8 year old son went to an event that had fully automatic weapons and were allowing the public to try them out. The 8 year old lost control of the weapon and accidentally fatally shot himself. The father had given permission for him to fire the weapon (a Mass. legal requirement) and there was a safety instructor with the boy (also a legal requiremen) when he was firing.

Gun tragedy felt by all parents - Opinion - MassLive.com

BBC NEWS | Americas | Death at show fuels US gun debate

There is already a thread running discussing this here, so I don't want this to be a discussion of this particular accident. I just wanted people to have some background for the specific incident to know where the poll is coming from.

So, would you support the banning of people under the age of 21 from firing fully automatic weapons?

I voted no.
    Military services all over the world have demonstrated you don't need to be an adult to safely handle automatic weapons, you just need to be properly trained.
    If a seventeen year old wants to try one, they should not have to enlist.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I voted no.
    Military services all over the world have demonstrated you don't need to be an adult to safely handle automatic weapons, you just need to be properly trained.
    If a seventeen year old wants to try one, they should not have to enlist.
    Ditto, half the infantry machine gunners I knew were 19-20.

Should little kids be able to handle an Uzi? No, but to BAN the ability for any age group to fire FA is ridiculous.

Assuming I did support some sort of restriction, 21 would be ridiculous for the previously mentioned reasons.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

jfl

Angry

This question got me upset.

A car is far more dangerous weapon and in some states kids as young as 14 can drive. How many teen-agers have been killed by cars compared to FA weapons.

Let me ask you a question:
    Since there are many thousands of kids killed each year by motor vehicles, would you support banning people under 21 from driving ?

BTW, firing FA is a lot less accurate than SA to the point that, when I was in the military, we were teaching firing bursts of 2-3 shots.

Let's remember not to put the blame on an object !
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

I do not think banning anything outright would work. Over 16 ? maybe

No , Parents should always be responsible to assure their children are capable of firing it and that they are trained in gun handeling. There are people in their 30's that shouldn't fire them as well, age has no place in deciding who can or can't. Training is the main priority.

I too am voting 'No'.

Age wasn't the problem as it was alack of physical capability to handle the recoil.

Below is an image of a full grown woman firing a Mini Uzi (with the stock improperly placed in her arm pit!)...

http://blogs.reuters.com/oddly-enoug...e-its-my-turn/

And here is video of a grown man doing same in bursts with a Mini Uzi and being set back on his heels by it's recoil...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB93VMuHnqI

Additional reporting on this story including a video interview of the boys father along with citizen commentary can be found at; http://www.masslive.com/news/index.s...ease_name.html

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

EdC
    I wouldn't oppose a law providing a cutoff date, so I voted "Yes" to the poll. However,neither do I support a flat out prohibition that no "kids" should be allowed to shoot an automatic weapon. Often, the first instinct to a tragedy often to try to pass a law rather than try to address the specifics of what went wrong.

How about less than 17 years old as the cutoff. Or maybe even 12 yrs. An 8 year old can't drive a car on public roads with the parent's permission, even with the parent an a qualified driving instructor in the car. I mean, I think we're talkin' recreational shooting here, and I just don't have a fire in my belly about not prohibiting kiddies from shooting automatic weapons for fun, especially if I'm on the line next to them, all things being equal. Maybe you just need a certain level of physical ability, or the risk of an accident goes way up. I don't know.

Anyway, try changing the poll age to military service age, though, which I think is still 17 yrs. old (was when I went in, long time ago), and it might make a little more sense.

Would you support the banning of people under 21 from firing a fully automatic weapon?
    Obviously no. We already are short of military troops, and we probably would have to send half of them home. That being said, I am confident that Obama may think that it is a good idea. So -- don't say this too loudly.

I voted No, I'm for more freedoms not for more banning.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

I don't think a law is the way to go,but I believe parents and ranges need to set guidlines,I believe 8 yrs old is too young for a handheld FA weapon,in a lot of 3rd world countries young kids fire AK47's but they are usually in their teens.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The incident is what it is.....an unfortunant accident. Government intervention never really solves anything.....does it???
    Evil triumphs when good men do nothing! Edmond Burke
    Where the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Where the government fears the people, there is liberty! Benjamin Franklin

THIS IS THE PRIMARY REASON WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT!!!

Administrator
    No, but I do support a ban on stupid parents.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I voted no. I feel very strongly about this but will not rant. The parent who made this mistake has paid for it. Other parents can learn from it. Why punish the rest of society by trying to pass another law? We need less law and more sence; pass a law for that.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links