A ban on Defensive ammunition?

This is a discussion on A ban on Defensive ammunition? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I think that there is a strong possibility of defensive ammunition being outlawed. The Anti's are probably going to pose questions such as... Why do ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A ban on Defensive ammunition?

I think that there is a strong possibility of defensive ammunition being outlawed.

The Anti's are probably going to pose questions such as...
    Why do normal citizens need to carry Bullets that are designed to kill?
    If the FMJs are good enough for the military why not gun owners?

Anyone else feel the same way or hear anything about this?
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Honestly, I think the democrats aren't going to jump into gun control immediately.

They need to focus on more bread and butter issues first. The last thing they want to do is get a 1994 style House & Senate take over started for 2010 the first weeks in office.

I think it may be coming eventually, but not immediately.

That said, I'm buying all the JHP I can. It doesn't go bad.

Glad I carry a .45. I'm OK will ball. I'd prefer HP but....
    -Biker

Good question. That kind of ammo is banned in NJ but it's tough to get a carry permit there anyway.
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

I guess if the world ends and your fears come true you can always make your own hollow points. I don't foresee any federal ban on those types of bullets anywhere in the future. Just drill out the end of the FMJ to make a cavity and score the sides of the jacket to give it areas to mushroom back easily.

BTW, what makes you think there is a strong possibilty of this ban being brought about? Or is it just hype and fear after a disappointing election cycle?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Honestly, I think the democrats aren't going to jump into gun control immediately.

They need to focus on more bread and butter issues first. The last thing they want to do is get a 1994 style House & Senate take over started for 2010 the first weeks in office.

I think it may be coming eventually, but not immediately.

That said, I'm buying all the JHP I can. It doesn't go bad.
    Although Obama won big with electoral votes the popular vote count was fairly close which seems less than a full green light to swing things to the extreme left. Tackling the 2nd ammendment at a time when he needs unity in dealing with the mess he has inherited on his plate to deal with would not seem sensible to me. Surely the Dems don't need to further tear the country apart with the division an attack on gun rights would cause. I could be wrong but I'm not ready to panic yet.

1943 - 2009
    It's way too early to be crying wolf.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Hussein has a 600 million dollar debt to his lobbyists and supporters. However - some of that debt is from the anti-clubs. Therefore, most of what will be done will be done in the first year of his campaign. Sad day - but buy it while you can.

I'm not one of those telling everyone to go spend their life's savings at your gun store - but get what you can, while you can. How much do you think you'll need to stay afloat over the next 4-8 years? Start there...
    Some people don't deserve saving.

....the water is almost at a boil

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Although Obama won big with electoral votes the popular vote count was fairly close . . .
    Actually, Obama got a greater percentage of popular vote than did even Jimmy Carter. This is the best showing for a Democrat in 40+ years. Not a good sign.

I think the anti's in control will have enough on their plates for at least the first few years.

I can see them trying, but not for a while.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Ok first off I wanna say this isn't directed at anyone here on DC.com
    BUT the simple fact of the matter is this,if gun owners voted as a single issue voting block John MCcain would be president right now and we wouldn't have to worry about what the anti's might do.,period end of story! However that being said I've said this before and I'll say it again gun owners are their own worst enemy. Take my lovely former state of residence Massachusetts for example, the same gun owners who piss and moan about not being able to get an unrestricted license to carry or being able to own an "assault weapon" or Hi-cap magazines.,are the same gun owners who also reelected Ted Kennedy a bunch of times over the last 40 years.

We're our own worst enemy in the sense we don't vote or we don't vote single issue as we should. I have to say I also feel ammo is THE weak link,join the NRA give what ever you can and please write,write and write you elected officials and tell them how you feel.

Let me also say I know a lot of people are worried about the economy and thats perfectly fine,but lets not fool ourselves here George Bush and republicans are not the cause of whats happened to our economy. Those that are responsible are the greedy folks over on wall street and the banks that loaned out billions of dollars to people who bought homes they couldn't afford with money they couldn't afford to pay back.

This was done based solely of the person's credit score with no regard to the person's job of even in verifying that the income they claimed to have made was even legit. And then you have the same said people who had to keep up with the jones and have a $350,000 house and a $58,000 SUV by maxing out credit cards and living above their means all while making $45,000 or so a year.

Now here we are the bottom has fallen out of real estate market and the credit card companies have to also eat billions of dollars of bad debt,as do the auto loan companies for doing the same crap the mortgage companies did. So would someone please tell me how this is president Bush's or the republican's fault? All I can say is if anyone here or anyone you know thinks for one second that we can't wind up just like our friends in the UK,think again just ask anyone in the UK,Austrialia or Canada if they ever thought prior to it actually happening if they would really lose their guns. I bet you'll be shocked at the answers you get. Its already happening here its just happening at a slower rate.

I have no issue with having to have a background check or having to get a license to carry my handgun,I realize that obviously in this day and age we have to have some reasonable laws in place. But there are those who want to do much more than that.

I doubt it very seriously. "Cop-killer" bullets? I remember those days. Still have a box of Black Talons in 45acp. They might try...naming specific brands, doing extensive research and all to determine the most evil. Specify some for law enforcement use only. Start serializing or micro stamping cases, etc......
    What would it all mean in the end? Not much IMO. As stated previously, ball or practice ammo still does the job in a different way. Make your own? I figure all you would need is a drill press and some mill bits and such.

1911luver..........say brotha! You know.........nobody has the team spirit anymore. Most don't even understand the aspect. Everyone's got their own ideas, their own ways, and forget how we all got where we are today (by working as a team, by blood and lives, and a lot of hard work together). Those days are gone my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911luver View Post
    Ok first off I wanna say this isn't directed at anyone here on DC.com
    BUT the simple fact of the matter is this,if gun owners voted as a single issue voting block John MCcain would be president right now and we wouldn't have to worry about what the anti's might do.,period end of story! However that being said I've said this before and I'll say it again gun owners are their own worst enemy. Take my lovely former state of residence Massachusetts for example, the same gun owners who piss and moan about not being able to get an unrestricted license to carry or being able to own an "assault weapon" or Hi-cap magazines.,are the same gun owners who also reelected Ted Kennedy a bunch of times over the last 40 years.

We're our own worst enemy in the sense we don't vote or we don't vote single issue as we should. I have to say I also feel ammo is THE weak link,join the NRA give what ever you can and please write,write and write you elected officials and tell them how you feel.

Let me also say I know a lot of people are worried about the economy and thats perfectly fine,but lets not fool ourselves here George Bush and republicans are not the cause of whats happened to our economy. Those that are responsible are the greedy folks over on wall street and the banks that loaned out billions of dollars to people who bought homes they couldn't afford with money they couldn't afford to pay back.

This was done based solely of the person's credit score with no regard to the person's job of even in verifying that the income they claimed to have made was even legit. And then you have the same said people who had to keep up with the jones and have a $350,000 house and a $58,000 SUV by maxing out credit cards and living above their means all while making $45,000 or so a year.

Now here we are the bottom has fallen out of real estate market and the credit card companies have to also eat billions of dollars of bad debt,as do the auto loan companies for doing the same crap the mortgage companies did. So would someone please tell me how this is president Bush's or the republican's fault? All I can say is if anyone here or anyone you know thinks for one second that we can't wind up just like our friends in the UK,think again just ask anyone in the UK,Austrialia or Canada if they ever thought prior to it actually happening if they would really lose their guns. I bet you'll be shocked at the answers you get. Its already happening here its just happening at a slower rate.

I have no issue with having to have a background check or having to get a license to carry my handgun,I realize that obviously in this day and age we have to have some reasonable laws in place. But there are those who want to do much more than that.

Stop making sense! We want to complain and run around screaming "the sky is falling" for a few more days.

The truth is, we are stuck with "the one" and we have to make the best of it. Keep in touch with your reps and hopefully we will still have enough pull in Washington. I think the Dems learned from the previous AWB and will 1. Take their time with a new one and 2. Craft it to be as palatable to as many people as possible. In reality they only have 2 years because if they screw enough things up they will be purged just like the GOP 2 years ago. Politics is a cyclical thing and right now it's opposite us. I'm not happy or very optimistic but crying about it will solve nothing. Want to type your frustrations out? Write your senator, join your local Rep party, get involved, do something.
    -Biker

Quote Originally Posted by dsee11789 View Post
    I think that there is a strong possibility of defensive ammunition being outlawed.

The Anti's are probably going to pose questions such as...
    Why do normal citizens need to carry Bullets that are designed to kill?
    If the FMJs are good enough for the military why not gun owners?

Anyone else feel the same way or hear anything about this?
    I agree it's too eary to jump to conclusions. But this would be crap...do you think the thugs and gangsta's out there on the street are shooting people with expensive hollowpoints? Heck no----they are throwing cheap range ammo with bad aim. I've no stats on this...but would be interesting to look at the breakdown of ammo types used in violent crimes. Anybody with this info?
    -Bill

"Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

MTbiker already thinking of sending this one to local reps do you feel its to upfront? LOL I feel if we as gun owners stay inolved and fight we will be ok. Lets face it it's not like Obama is any worse than Clinton was to gun owners If I recall correctly Bill clinton supported just about everything Obama does as far as gun bans and bans on handguns and gun registration and such and we're still here with our gun rights. We must stay vigilant in this fight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links