20/20 report on Gun Control

This is a discussion on 20/20 report on Gun Control within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Friday night I saw this on 20/20. Not usually the most pro-gun thing on TV but for once, a major news organization got it right. ...

Thread: 20/20 report on Gun Control

20/20 report on Gun Control

Friday night I saw this on 20/20. Not usually the most pro-gun thing on TV but for once, a major news organization got it right. How they ever let this air is beyond me.

I am quoting here from the 20/20 website.

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=123606

"MYTH # 5 Guns Are Always Bad for Us

America is notorious for its culture of gun violence. Guns sometimes do cause terrible harm, and many kids are killed every year in gun accidents. But public service announcements and news stories make it seem as if the accidents kill thousands of kids every year.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, however, fewer than 100 kids 15 and under are killed in gun accidents every year. Of course that's horrible, and I understand why demonstrators say we need more gun control.

But guess what? The Centers for Disease Control recently completed a review of studies of various types of gun control: background checks, waiting periods, bans on certain guns and ammunition. It could not document that these rules have reduced violent crime.

The government wants to say regulations and laws like the Brady Gun Control Law are making a difference, but they aren't. Some maximum security felons I spoke to in New Jersey scoffed at measures like the Brady law. They said they'll have no trouble getting guns if they want them.

A Justice Department study confirmed what the prisoners said. But get this: the felons say that the thing they fear the most is not the police, not time in prison, but, you, another American who might be armed.

It's a reason many states are passing gun un-control. They're allowing citizens to carry guns with them, it's called concealed carry or right to carry. Some women say they're comforted by these laws.

But many people, including Rev. Al Sharpton, are horrified at the idea of concealed carry laws, and predict mayhem if all states adopt these laws.

But surprise, 36 states already have concealed carry laws; and not one reported an upsurge in gun crime."

Thoughts?
    There are 2 sounds in the world that strike more fear than any others. A click when you should hear a bang and a bang when you should hear a click.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Well - stuff we know but - sure as heck good to see it coming thru that source.

There may be hope yet!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    This has been broadcast before. Now if you can only get the right people to watch it and believe it!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

We should all send a letter or e-mail reinforcing the fact that we appreciate the truth. And not the normal emotional media cover up.

I have sent Mr. Stossel an e-mail stating how pleased I was about the reporting of the truth.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

A news report with truth? from our media? That IS a breathe of fresh air...
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

Links