I just joined the NRA, what else can we do? - Page 2

I just joined the NRA, what else can we do?

This is a discussion on I just joined the NRA, what else can we do? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I recently joined at my local gun show last week. Just went with a one year membership as finances are starting to tighten up (plus ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I just joined the NRA, what else can we do?

wpk
    I recently joined at my local gun show last week. Just went with a one year membership as finances are starting to tighten up (plus I bought a new gun that day, oy). I'll probably go year-to-year for a few years before I take the plunge on a lifetime membership. I do plan to become a lifetime member eventually.
    "America is a nation of laws; poorly written and randomly enforced." -Frank Zappa

“Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.” -Denis Diderot

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Just signed up for a 1-year membership, no magazines to save them that cost. I'd sign up for more but I have already spent all my money panic-buying!
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    Be a good ambassador. Study up, have the right calm collected answers and present yourself as an educated calm individual.
    I'll second this one. Be a good ambassador. We all know that the odds of us changing the opinion of someone who is radically anti-gun are slim to none. Our focus should be on the fence-sitters who have not yet formed a firm opinion.

Stop treating the fact that you own and carry guns as your 'dirty little secret.' I'm not saying you should wave your gun under everyone's nose. But if someone asks, answer honestly. Tell them that you own guns and why. If you carry daily, tell them why. Don't forget to explain how the right of firearm ownership is essential to the very liberty that we all hold so dear. Try not to be condescending, or confrontational. Just explain your position. This is the best thing that we can all do.

Brian

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Just signed up for a 1-year membership, no magazines to save them that cost.
    Please reconsider this. The costs of publishing and mailing the magazines is factored into your membership dues. You might save the NRA a few pennies, at best, but you'll be missing out on a ton of information.

I get the American Rifleman and America's 1st Freedom as an additional subscription. Both are excellent magazines.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Please reconsider this. The costs of publishing and mailing the magazines is factored into your membership dues. You might save the NRA a few pennies, at best, but you'll be missing out on a ton of information.

I get the American Rifleman and America's 1st Freedom as an additional subscription. Both are excellent magazines.
    Why do I need magazines when I have this forum
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GWRedDragon View Post
    Why do I need magazines when I have this forum
    Suit yourself.

I was just giving my opinion.

And you know what they say about those.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Also join Gun Owners of America and Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership (you don't have to be Jewish)
    "Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
    - P.J. O'Rourke, Civil Libertarian

- Nex ut Novus Universitas Ordo! -

Join GOA (gun owners of Ameria) They are good too
    Obama used "hope" and "change" to win the presidency.... Benjamin Franklin wrote in Poor Richard's Almanac, "He that lives upon Hope will die fasting." On change, John Adams wrote, "A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."

VIP Member
    If you are reading this and thinking "darn, things are tight right now. I don't have that much money to spend." Tom Greshan got a special deal with the NRA to sign up more members.

1 Year Membership $25.00
    Regularly $35

2 Year Membership $50.00
    Regulary $60

3 Year Membership $75.00
    Regularly $85

5 Year Membership $100.00
    Regularly $125

https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/r...ignID=XR020586

What else can you do? Is your Spouse or Significant other a Member? Sign them up! Do you have a buddy/friend who is not a member? politely pester him/her or if you can sign them up and give the subscription as a gift.

Are you still a member of the NRA? Stupid as it seems, your membership might be expired and you don't know it. Mine expired on Halloween and I did not realize it till last night. I heard that close to 12 million people had let their NRA membership expire and I am willing to bet about half don't even know it.

This is a game of numbers people. It is not the same for the NRA to say "We represent 3.5 million gun owners" that to say "We represent 9 million gun owners" or 12 or 50 million. Numbers scare politicians because they represent votes and until they figure out a way to tamper with the Constitution and perpetuate themselves into power, they will respond to numbers.

Remember, the politician's number one job is to get re-elected.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    Other than joining/supporting pro-gun organizations, e.g. NRA, etc., contact legislators often and vote - that's about it. And I don't mean either as a little thing.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Do your best to contribute to NRA/ILA and NRA/PVF. They are the lobbying and campaigning arms of the NRA. Try to get as many friends, relatives and coworkers to join. There's strength in numbers.
    And don't give up the fight.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Stay aware of bills being presented, both locally and nationally, and be ready to write your reps. If enough people let them know how they feel, and get the idea they could be voted out, they'll listen.
    Member NRA, SAF and Georgiacarry.org
    “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by automatic slim View Post
    Do your best to contribute to NRA/ILA and NRA/PVF.
    Good point. I usually contribute at least twice a year. They do an excellent job of keeping us informed and in representing us in Washington.

Like retsupt99, I also upgraded my NRA membership to LIFE, and I joined the Gun Owners of America for extra measure.

My ammo supply has also increased since election day.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links