10 Years of Civilian Armament in Texas

This is a discussion on 10 Years of Civilian Armament in Texas within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Source of article. Emphases are mine. VIEWPOINT: THE CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW: TEN YEARS LATER By Hon. Jerry Patterson When the Texas Concealed Handgun Law took ...

Thread: 10 Years of Civilian Armament in Texas

10 Years of Civilian Armament in Texas

Source of article.

Emphases are mine.

VIEWPOINT: THE CONCEALED HANDGUN LAW: TEN YEARS LATER By Hon. Jerry Patterson

When the Texas Concealed Handgun Law took effect in 1996, pundits and naysayers predicted anarchy. Any minute, there would surely be mass violence as armed Texas citizens began roving the streets settling arguments with gunfire. Certainly, several proclaimed, within a year there would be blood in the streets as Texas returned to the days of the Wild West.

Ten years later the facts paint a different picture. Texas under the Concealed Handgun Law isn’t the Wild West, but the Mild West. No recurrent shootouts at four-way stops, no blood in the streets. Quite the contrary, Texans are safer than before.

But why are we safer? Why did the fears of the naysayers fail to materialize?

One of the reasons I authored Senate Bill 60, the Concealed Handgun Law, was because I trust my fellow Texans. Contrary to opinions expressed on almost every editorial page across the state, I knew that when law-abiding Texans’ constitutional right to keep and bear arms was restored with the passage of S.B. 60, they would exercise good judgment and behave responsibly.

Ten years later, and the statistics continue to prove the point.

Since the passage of the Concealed Handgun Law, the FBI Uniform Crime Report shows an 18% drop in handgun murders, down from 838 in 1995 to 688 in 2004. And a 13% drop in handgun murders per 100,000 population, down from 4.5 murders per 100,000 Texans in 1995 to 3.95 per 100,000 in 2004.

In 2000, on the fifth anniversary of the Concealed Handgun Law, the National Center for Policy Analysis issued a report that indicated Texans with concealed carry permits are far less likely to commit a serious crime than the average citizen.

According to the report, the more than 200,000 Texans licensed to carry a concealed firearm are much more law-abiding than the average person.

The report illustrated that Texans who exercise their right to carry firearms are 5.7 times less likely to be arrested for a violent offense. They are 14 times less likely to be arrested for a non-violent offense. And they are 1.4 times less likely to be arrested for murder.

H. Sterling Burnett, a senior policy analyst at the NCPA and the author of the report, concluded:

“Many predicted that minor incidents would escalate into bloody shootouts if Texas passed a concealed-carry law. That prediction was dead wrong,” Burnett said.

With 247,345 concealed handgun licenses active in Texas as of December 2005, the number of law-abiding licensees has had a positive effect on the crime rate.

Texas Department of Public Safety Uniform Crime Report indicates the overall crime rate in Texas has continued to drop over the past 10 years. In 1997, DPS reported 5,478 crimes per 100,000 Texans, based on a population of 19,355,427 Texans. In 2004, with almost 3 million more Texans, the crime rate is 5,032 per 100,000.

The effect of the Concealed Handgun Law has been so positive, it has converted some of its most outspoken initial critics.

John Holmes, former Harris County district attorney, wrote to me several years after the passage of the law.

“As you know, I was very outspoken in my opposition to the passage of the Concealed Handgun Act. I did not feel that such legislation was in the public interest and presented a clear and present danger to law abiding citizens by placing more handguns on our streets,” Holmes wrote. “Boy was I wrong. Our experience in Harris County , and indeed state-wide, has proven my initial fears absolutely groundless.”

Glenn White, president of the Dallas Police Association, shared this view. “I lobbied against the law in 1993 and 1995 because I thought it would lead to wholesale armed conflict. That hasn't happened,” White told the Dallas Morning News. “All the horror stories I thought would come to pass didn't happen. No bogeyman. I think it's worked out well, and that says good things about the citizens who have permits. I'm a convert.”

To the supporters of individual liberty and the constitutional right to keep and bear arms, this outcome is no surprise. However, the Concealed Handgun Law isn’t just about personal safety. Perhaps even deeper than its roots in constitutional freedom, the Concealed Handgun Law is about trust.

And after ten years, the Concealed Handgun Law is a shining example of what happens when elected officials have faith in their fellow Texans.

The legacy of Senate Bill 60 is grounded in the concept that our government should place its trust in us, not the other way around.
    I think the article is guilty of implying too much in spots, like implying that permitholders are somehow more lawful than everyone else, or that all of these good effects are solely the effect of the concealed handgun law. But that's not the point.

The point is hard, objective data with traceable sources says that the critics of 2A rights are just plain wrong, plain and simple. Even Clinton's own comission to investigate the effectiveness of his own gun control laws determined that the laws had no effect on crime.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I think the article is guilty of implying too much in spots, like implying that permitholders are somehow more lawful than everyone else, or that all of these good effects are solely the effect of the concealed handgun law. But that's not the point.

The point is hard, objective data with traceable sources says that the critics of 2A rights are just plain wrong, plain and simple. Even Clinton's own comission to investigate the effectiveness of his own gun control laws determined that the laws had no effect on crime.
    Points taken, but overall a good article. I'd like to see more of my local pol's read it and fel tthat way. The Maryland legislative session is getting ready to start for the year, and there is a snowballs chance in hell in getting anything pro-gun through this year..... Not that ewe won't try!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Assistant Administrator
    I would hope that could be read and taken on board by the likes of MD legislators.

Rick - one or two folks on THR are very active in the MD shall issue campaign - I imagine you may know them but if not I will put you in touch should you so wish.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Link isn't working anymore.

I'd like to post a link to it on my blog.
    Proud member of the Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy:
    http://www.xanga.com/jaltered

That needs to be on the front page of every newspaper in the country and on CNN, etc. It's good to hear elected officials reversing their stance on this instead of saying "My mind's made up--don't confuse me with facts!"
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

First of all the "Wild West" wasn't that wild, oweing to the fact that everybody was armed. Most towns only had a sheriff and a couple of deputies because any time they needed to make a serious arest on a real threat, the town would back the law up with a host of rifles. Presto! Instant militia.

Things started going wrong in "the West" when the pols (The Earps) established gun control in their town. That was never a crime control measure, it was all about politics and power....just like always. It simply spread from there...over time.

The politics of gun control got enmeshed with the fear of crime as Americans became "civilized" then quickly progressing to sheep mode and total capitulation to the criminal element. The main vehicle for this was and still is the public school systems. This was reinforced by successful deterrence of citizen involvement and a societal case of the ostrich syndrome: I don't wanna get involved! OR I refuse to testify, 'cause they'll come hurt me or my family!

When the cops started saying If attacked by a criminal, don't resist...give them what they want....nothing is worth your life.... it just sealed our fates. Americans allowed themselves to be emasculated....Texans included.

The CCW laws established around the country and reinforced by state level reciprocity are the start of the national backlash to this mindset.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    First of all the "Wild West" wasn't that wild, oweing to the fact that everybody was armed. Most towns only had a sheriff and a couple of deputies because any time they needed to make a serious arest on a real threat, the town would back the law up with a host of rifles. Presto! Instant militia.

Things started going wrong in "the West" when the pols (The Earps) established gun control in their town. That was never a crime control measure, it was all about politics and power....just like always. It simply spread from there...over time.

The politics of gun control got enmeshed with the fear of crime as Americans became "civilized" then quickly progressing to sheep mode and total capitulation to the criminal element. The main vehicle for this was and still is the public school systems. This was reinforced by successful deterrence of citizen involvement and a societal case of the ostrich syndrome: I don't wanna get involved! OR I refuse to testify, 'cause they'll come hurt me or my family!

When the cops started saying If attacked by a criminal, don't resist...give them what they want....nothing is worth your life.... it just sealed our fates. Americans allowed themselves to be emasculated....Texans included.

The CCW laws established around the country and reinforced by state level reciprocity are the start of the national backlash to this mindset.
    Nice commentary and stimulated some thinking of things I hadn't thought of.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Links