New Attorney General ??? (Merged)

This is a discussion on New Attorney General ??? (Merged) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Foxnews: President-elect Barack Obama's aides have privately asked senators whether Washington attorney Eric Holder would be confirmed as the next attorney general, according to a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Attorney General ??? (Merged)

New Attorney General ??? (Merged)

Foxnews:
    President-elect Barack Obama's aides have privately asked senators whether Washington attorney Eric Holder would be confirmed as the next attorney general, according to a person involved in the talks.

He was assistant AG for Bill Clinton, so he is probably not 2A favorable, but I cannot really remember.
    I am sure members here have a better memory than I do (not difficult )
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

2. Remove Ads

He's the guy that represented Chiquita in their trial defense ... remember when they were charged with paying off terrorists in the third world countries they get their products from...

He's been around awhile. I believe he's a player in the campaign too.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

He was, at one time, a strong proponent to "close the gun show loophole". Below is a statement from when he was Deputy Attorney General.

"Good Afternoon. We are here today because the House of Representatives has begun debate on legislation that can make a critical difference to law enforcement, and to the safety of all Americans.

"Today Individual Members of Congress have a clear-cut choice to make. Either they can cave in to the narrow, special interests that value the cold, hard steel of guns more than the lives of children, neighbors and police officers, or they can fulfill the mandate of the broad majority of the American public by supporting a reasonable, common sense bill that would make all of us safer from armed criminals. The choice for each House Member is just that stark.
    The rest of the statement is here

I have no idea where he stands today. I'm sure we will all find out soon enough.
    "The trouble with small furry animals in a corner is that, just occasionally, one of them's a mongoose." - Terry Pratchett, Witches Abroad

Member: NRA - GOA - Grassroots SC

It doesn't really matter what his views on 2A are. He will be Obamas puppet and will get his marching orders from "O". If he values his job he will not make the boss mad and do what he's told.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Anti-gun.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    Anti-gun.

Mmmmm, let's see, BO is going to hire him, Chuckie and his gang will approve him...Mmmmm...Yep, I'll bet he's a BIG 'anti'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I caught a little bit of Michael Savage tonight and he said Holder was part of the team trying to keep the DC ban per the Heller case, I havent been able to verify that but Savage is usually correct.

and so it begins. i have a very bad feeling about this preident.

Quote Originally Posted by jughead2 View Post
    and so it begins. i have a very bad feeling about this preident.
    I don't understand how he will be any worse than the others. We haven't had a truly "gun friendly" president in a long time, and if things do not shake up in our system we will never have another. This really should be no suprise to anyone with the way the scale has been tipping the last 20 or so years

Quote Originally Posted by jughead2 View Post
    and so it begins. i have a very bad feeling about this president.
    No, no, that's just your imagination !!! (just kidding)

I agree with you, and not only about 2A issues.
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

VIP Member
    I do not know Holder's position on 2A issues. He has been a frequent guest on Fox and other TV talk shows, and generally has appeared to be a solid sensible dude.

I think his background is FBI and though I might be really wrong, I think he is from Houston. I don't know if that is good or bad.

It seems to me that LEOs and ex LEOs, are like the general public with regard to guns. Some are pro and some are anti and some are conflicted.

We'll see where he comes down on the issue.

I did think that the Elian Gonzalez thing was horrifically badly handled, and have heard (if memory serves correctly) that he was deputy attn gen when that craziness happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I do not know Holder's position on 2A issues. He has been a frequent guest on Fox and other TV talk shows, and generally has appeared to be a solid sensible dude.

I think his background is FBI and though I might be really wrong, I think he is from Houston. I don't know if that is good or bad.

It seems to me that LEOs and ex LEOs, are like the general public with regard to guns. Some are pro and some are anti and some are conflicted.

We'll see where he comes down on the issue.

I did think that the Elian Gonzalez thing was horrifically badly handled, and have heard (if memory serves correctly) that he was deputy attn gen when that craziness happened.
    Here's his biography at his current employer:

Covington & Burling LLP | Biographies | Eric H. Holder Jr.

Mr. Holder is a litigation partner who handles, among other matters, complex civil and criminal cases, domestic and international advisory matters and internal corporate investigations.

During his professional career, Mr. Holder has held a number of significant positions in government. Upon graduating from Columbia Law School, he moved to Washington, DC and joined the Department of Justice as part of the Attorney General's Honors Program. He was assigned to the newly formed Public Integrity Section in 1976 and was tasked to investigate and prosecute official corruption on the local, state and federal levels. While at the Public Integrity Section, Mr. Holder participated in a number of prosecutions and appeals involving such defendants as the Treasurer of the state of Florida, the Ambassador to the Dominican Republic, a local judge in Philadelphia, an Assistant United States Attorney in New York City, agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation and a "capo" in an organized crime family in Pennsylvania.

In 1988, Mr. Holder was nominated by President Reagan to become an Associate Judge of the Superior Court of the District of Columbia. He was confirmed by the Senate and his investiture occurred in October of that year. Over the next five years, Judge Holder presided over hundreds of civil and criminal trials and matters. Many of the trials involved homicides and other crimes of violence.

In 1993, President Clinton nominated Mr. Holder to become the United States Attorney for the District of Columbia. He was confirmed later that year and served as the head of the largest United States Attorneys office in the nation for nearly four years. He was the first black person to serve in that position. As U.S. Attorney, Mr. Holder created a Domestic Violence Unit to more effectively handle those types of tragic cases, implemented a community prosecution project to work hand in hand with residents and local government agencies in order to make neighborhoods safer, supported a renewed enforcement emphasis on hate crimes so that criminal acts of intolerance would be severely punished, developed a comprehensive strategy to improve the manner in which agencies handled cases involving the abuse of children, launched a community outreach program to reconnect the U.S. Attorney's office with the citizens it serves, revitalized the Victim/Witness Assistance Program to better serve those individuals who were directly affected by crime and developed "Operation Ceasefire," an initiative designed to reduce violent crime by getting guns out of the hands of criminals.

In 1997, President Clinton appointed Mr. Holder to serve as Deputy Attorney General, the number two position in the United States Department of Justice. He became the first African-American to serve as Deputy Attorney General. Mr. Holder briefly served under President Bush as Acting Attorney General pending the confirmation of Attorney General John Ashcroft.

As Deputy Attorney General, Mr. Holder supervised all of the Department's litigating, enforcement, and administrative components in both civil and criminal matters. Under his guidance, the Department developed and issued its guidelines on the criminal prosecution of corporations (the so called "Holder Memorandum") and issued guidelines on the use of the False Claims Act in civil health care matters. A task force he created also developed the existing regulation concerning the appointment of special counsels to investigate allegations involving high-level federal officials. He began the Department's Children Exposed to Violence Initiative and made Department priorities enforcement efforts in health care fraud, computer crimes and software piracy. Mr. Holder successfully worked to fund and expand nationwide the concept of community prosecution which seeks to connect more directly prosecutors with the citizens they serve. At the request of the President, Mr. Holder began and directed Lawyers for One America a multi-agency, public/private partnership designed to diversify the legal profession and to increase the amount of pro bono work done by the nation's attorneys. As Deputy Attorney General Mr. Holder was at that time the highest-ranking black person in law enforcement in the history of the United States.

Mr. Holder's community activities include service on a number of philanthropic boards including, Columbia University, the Meyer Foundation, Save the Children, and his long time membership in the organization Concerned Black Men, a group that seeks to help the youth of the District of Columbia with problems ranging from teenage pregnancy to sub-par academic achievement. He has received numerous awards and honorary degrees and is featured in The Best Lawyers in America 2007. Mr. Holder was profiled in the June 2008 issue of The American Lawyer and was recognized as one of "The Most 50 Influential Minority Lawyers in America" by The National Law Journal. He has also been identified by Legal Times as one of the "Greatest Washington Lawyers of the Past 30 Years."

He has also served on the board of MCI prior to and during its merger with Verizon. Mr. Holder was a member of the U.S. Sentencing Commission Ad Hoc Advisory Group that examined, and made recommendations to revise, the organizational sentencing guidelines and was Chairman of Eastman Kodak's External Diversity Advisory Panel.

Mr. Holder was born in New York City. He attended public schools there, graduating from Stuyvesant High School where he earned a Regents Scholarship. He attended Columbia College, majored in American History, and graduated in 1973. Mr. Holder then attended Columbia Law School from which he graduated in 1976. While in law school, he clerked at the N.A.A.C.P. Legal Defense Fund and the Department of Justice's Criminal Division. Mr. Holder lives in Washington, DC with his wife, Dr. Sharon Malone, an obstetrician, and their three children.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

This may come as a great suprise to some of you folks, but the counrty just elected a Democrat President from Chicago. I am not trying to get into a political discussion except as it applies to the 2A stance of the future administration officials.

Anyone and everyone who has a position of any sort in this administration will be marching lock step toward the next gun control scheme that comes up. Hence, if B. Hussein Obama gives them the job, they are antis. Otherwise they wouldn't get the job. He asks about gun ownership on the application forms he sends to them to begin the vetting process when he is thinking of appointing someone to a position. See below:

http://www.nraila.org/GrassrootsAlerts/read.aspx
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    Matiki posted a stylized bio of Holder. Among the comments, "Mr. Holder was born in New York City. He attended public schools there, graduating from Stuyvesant High School where he earned a Regents Scholarship."

If nothing else, that makes him one h... of a lot smarter than most folks we'll ever encounter in our daily lives.

I happen to sort of like the guy based on his TV appearances. But, if you took the stylized bio my employer prepared for my retirement announcement at face value, you'd think I nearly won a Nobel prize for scientific accomplishment. So, I sort of discount this sort of bio. Still, I think he will be darn good.

Sharp people with lots of good solid relevant work experience are what we need in critical positions. Sounds to me like Holder fits the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Matiki posted a stylized bio of Holder. Among the comments, "Mr. Holder was born in New York City. He attended public schools there, graduating from Stuyvesant High School where he earned a Regents Scholarship."

If nothing else, that makes him one h... of a lot smarter than most folks we'll ever encounter in our daily lives.

I happen to sort of like the guy based on his TV appearances. But, if you took the stylized bio my employer prepared for my retirement announcement at face value, you'd think I nearly won a Nobel prize for scientific accomplishment. So, I sort of discount this sort of bio. Still, I think he will be darn good.

Sharp people with lots of good solid relevant work experience are what we need in critical positions. Sounds to me like Holder fits the bill.
    Hopyard you and I usually seem to agree on most things and I do not necessarily disagree with your comments above. However, I look at these things differently than you I suppose.

If I want to hire someone to run my company, I want the best qualified individual, regardless of political affiliation.

However, when speaking of politicians, I want the best qualified person who shares my political views, or I will not support them, for fear that they will inact policies that I will have to live under.

Atty Generals take sides in case prosecutions and write opinions about important things. Things like gun control legislation, whether the ATF can kick down my front door, and whether or not we can hold terrorists for interrogation for instance.

Therefore, it is important to me to know which side of the fence they are on. As I posted earlier, I don't believe we need to lok any further than the person who appoints this guy to know where he stands. Regardless of whether he is the smartest guy on the planet or not. Afterall, Obama went to Harvard Law School, so he's no dummy. that doesn't mean I agree with any of his policies.

In the end it doesn't really matter what I think anyway becuase I'm on the losing side in this whole deal. I wish I could share in your optimism, but I can't. I guess I'm bitter,....so I had better just strap on my gun and read my bible a little.

Take care.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links