NRA ever challenged Katrina gun confiscation

This is a discussion on NRA ever challenged Katrina gun confiscation within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I read about the victims of Katrina were given their guns back, but did anyone like the NRA challenged the 2nd amendment with the courts ...

Thread: NRA ever challenged Katrina gun confiscation

I read about the victims of Katrina were given their guns back, but did anyone like the NRA challenged the 2nd amendment with the courts where charges were brought against the police chief? Was the state fined for the guns that they lost or ruined ? Did anyone due time ?

By looking at the enlistment Oath below, it states to "defend the Constitution from foreign and domestic, doesn't that include the police chief ?

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).

"When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."

--Thomas Jefferson --

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    mi2az,

I believe the NRA sued the city of New Orleans as well as the mayor and the chief of police to get the confiscated guns returned, but I might be wrong.

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

They would have never got their guns back if the NRA had not gotten involved.
    Might I suggest that you go to this sight and peruse the whole thing and get caught up on the news of what is going on.
    National Rifle Association - NRA Website Gateway

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by firefighter4884 View Post
    mi2az,

I believe the NRA sued the city of New Orleans as well as the mayor and the chief of police to get the confiscated guns returned, but I might be wrong.

--Jim
    You are right. The NRA and the Second Amendment Foundation sued N.O. and theye even managed a contempt of court against the city for ignoring the judge's request. The hell that was raised was enough that many states passed legislation against confiscation and even some Federal Legislation.

I recommended reading The Great New Orleans Gun Grab to get an insight of what happened the days after the hurricane.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I'll go along with everything said here, and add a little bit. The NRA works for the people and the preservation of the 2nd amendment. Dues paying members make it all possible, and actual members probably don't make a hill of beans to those who have been helped, or benefited due to the NRA's actions, resources, and resolve. Seems like a lot of folks can state some of their 'good reasons' for not being a dues paying member of the NRA, but most of those still have their guns if they want them. I'll urge those who have benefited in the past, and continue to benefit today from the NRA's actions to make a New Year's resolution and re-up, or become a member this next year. Lord knows we'll all be needing the help more than ever before. You won't need to feel guilty for not doing your part.

I think it's safe to say that no organization has done more to preserve our gun rights then the NRA. If it wasn't for the NRA we would be in the same situation as England.
    "I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals." - Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by spooter66 View Post
    I think it's safe to say that no organization has done more to preserve our gun rights then the NRA.
    I agree.

Even if you don't agree with everything that the NRA preaches and/or believes, we should all be members.

-Jeff-

There's an NRA DVD called "Never Again". Check that out.

Randy

Just an FYI; For those who arn't members and are thinking of becoming one but may not like how it is run. If you become a life Member you get instant voting rights and have a say on who runs it. If you choose to go yearly, you have to be a member for five consecutive years to have voting privileges. If you are young and have the money the Life membership is the way to go.
    I joined in 1969 on yearly basis and renew and/or extend my membership whenever I have a few bucks. I also give extra donations when I can. I have paid way more then a life membership cost then and even now. It is my way to keep supporting them.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mi2az View Post
    By looking at the enlistment Oath below, it states to "defend the Constitution from foreign and domestic, doesn't that include the police chief ?

"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God." (Title 10, US Code; Act of 5 May 1960 replacing the wording first adopted in 1789, with amendment effective 5 October 1962).

Just an odd fact........ If the troops were National Guard, they take a different oath. Still only goes down to obeying the Governor though, not the police chief.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

jfl
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    I'll go along with everything said here, and add a little bit. The NRA works for the people and the preservation of the 2nd amendment. Dues paying members make it all possible, and actual members probably don't make a hill of beans to those who have been helped, or benefited due to the NRA's actions, resources, and resolve. Seems like a lot of folks can state some of their 'good reasons' for not being a dues paying member of the NRA, but most of those still have their guns if they want them. I'll urge those who have benefited in the past, and continue to benefit today from the NRA's actions to make a New Year's resolution and re-up, or become a member this next year. Lord knows we'll all be needing the help more than ever before. You won't need to feel guilty for not doing your part.
    Very true
    We all know that the coming months/years are going to be difficult for 2A supporters, and gun owners in general ...
    The cabinet is looking more and more as a "Who's who" of gun control.
    Our only fighting chance is a strong NRA. With 10 millions members, we would be safe (I hope).
    In a previous post somebody suggested giving an NRA membership as a Christmas gift; I think it is a great idea !!!

I don't agree 100% with the NRA ... I didn't agree 100% for John McCain, far from it, nevertheless, I supported him and voted for him.
    It is utopian to believe you can find a group you will agree 100% with !
    I am not sure I agree 100% with myself

Let's not dwell on the past, we've got to fight TOGETHER in the very near future
    Remember the famous G.W. quote about "hanging together or hanging separately" ???
    The first rule of a gunfight: "Don't be there !"
    The second rule: "Bring enough gun"

jfl
    (NRA Life Member/Instructor - GOA - IDPA - GSSF - ex-IHMSA)

Sponsored Links