Is There Any Reason NOT to join NRA? - Page 3

Is There Any Reason NOT to join NRA?

This is a discussion on Is There Any Reason NOT to join NRA? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; May I remind those who quit or refuse to join the NRA on the basis of that their Junk Mail is an "Inconvenience" that we ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    VIP Member
    May I remind those who quit or refuse to join the NRA on the basis of that their Junk Mail is an "Inconvenience" that we are not talking about parking an extra 20 yards away from the mall door or your local grocery not having your beer of choice at a proper temperature or that the dry cleaners did not use the proper amount of starch on your shirts. We are talking about The Bill Of Rights here, Our Basic Freedoms endowed to us by our Creator and not misplacing a dollar off coupon for pizza.
    /rant off
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    May I remind those who quit or refuse to join the NRA on the basis of that their Junk Mail is an "Inconvenience" that we are not talking about parking an extra 20 yards away from the mall door or your local grocery not having your beer of choice at a proper temperature or that the dry cleaners did not use the proper amount of starch on your shirts. We are talking about The Bill Of Rights here, Our Basic Freedoms endowed to us by our Creator and not misplacing a dollar off coupon for pizza.
    /rant off
    Amen
    [I]They make a desert and call it peace - Calgacus
    We're all just a bunch of Right Wing Racist Republican Homophobes - Rush L.

/rant off

/rant off
    You seem to think that the NRA is the only way the Bill of Rights is protected or that people who don't pay money to the NRA aren't doing their share in safeguarding the 2nd Amendment.

Having the NRA spend that much of the money that I gave them so that they can use it to hound me to give them more money is stupid. I naively thought they were going to put my money to good use lobbying Congress in the promotion of the 2nd Amendment, not lobbying me for more money. The sad part is that I joined for 5 years and so they hounded me for those 5 years plus another 2 years trying to get me to come back.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

VIP Member
    Sir, I said my piece and I am not dwelling on your choices anymore. If you rather try kill the rabid dog with tweezers instead of a big bullet, that is your choice.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

BAC
    Miggy, I think they're trying to ask how much the NRA is spending preaching to the choir. If you consider how often they ask for money compared to how much it costs to ask for money, I'd say that's a legitimate concern.

-B
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009. You will be missed.

Defensive Carry Search Tips

Step 1 - Choose a subforum on right side under "Search in Forum(s)"
    Step 2 - Type general topic of interest in "Search by Keyword" textbox.
    Step 3 - Read results and refine/repeat as necessary.

VIP Member
    Preaching to the choir or keeping us informed?
    The NRA is a lobbying tool if you want to see it that way. We need a big one in Washington and I admit that their mailings can get annoying at times but they are NEVER a reason to quit and mess with the rest of us.

I forget where I heard that 12 million Americans say they belong to the NRA but we only have 4 million paying members. I do think we need to keep preaching to the Choir 'cause it seems there is a lot of them asleep at the back of the church.
    Randy Cain.

Red face

OK, OK, OK. Open your mail box on any given day and there are numerous credit card solicitations, advertisements for anything from car insurance to Victoria's Secret. Every time I donate to a charitable organization, the mail starts pouring in. What do we do with most of that stuff, we throw it out. If one doesn't like the NRA stuff, just throw it out. It is still a good organization that is very instrumental in protecting our rights. Anybody that is interested in protecting their rights should belong to the NRA and any other local organization they can find.

My .02.

Keep in mind that those "annoying phone calls" don't cost you or the NRA a dime (other than long distance charges).

Volunteers are often the ones making the calls.

And for those like myself that give $5.00 in hard times that's another ~20 calls I just paid for. In good times I'll give a hundred. Chances are high they're profitable or they wouldn't be doing it.

Edit: As for the junk mail, it's about 700.00-1200 to send a full color flier to an entire city. Not too bad because they'll make it back in the first few donors.
    [I]They make a desert and call it peace - Calgacus
    We're all just a bunch of Right Wing Racist Republican Homophobes - Rush L.

NRA

I struggled about keeping my NRA membership, but I continued because they are the 500 lb Gorilla in the room. I also joined RMGO and the GOA. Both the RMGO and the GOA are lees likely to compromise. For the local CO area RMGO is the best by far. It isn't very expensive to join all three and hedge my bets. I can't afford to bank-roll the NRA at the level they would want if I responded each time I received mail.

The NRA means well and I hope they never sell us out for political gain. It seems to have become a full time job for several staffers and we may be creating a monster in the long run, but I'll take my chances.

Just call the membership dept, they will put you on the do not call and do not mail list.

So stop whinning and call the NRA Membership Dept. Takes less time than making a post here.

Quote Originally Posted by DOGOFWAR01 View Post
    Just call the membership dept, they will put you on the do not call and do not mail list.

So stop whinning and call the NRA Membership Dept. Takes less time than making a post here.
    I wrote them twice and it didn't do a bit of good.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Call the membership department and have them take you off of the solicitations list. They will change your preferences in their system immediately. It may take a month or so before that information trickles down to the company who sends the mail. So you get an extra one, big deal.

So they may be losing money on you, in particular, with these mailings (pennies per, btw) but do you really believe that they're losing money across the board with this technique? Come on... there's a significant ROI or they wouldn't keep doing it.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    I wrote them twice and it didn't do a bit of good.

I typed "call". I did not type "write".

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I wish we had an organization that had the clout the NRA had, our two groups CSSA and NFA do their best with the limited resources they have. I think it's shocking that the NRA only has 4 million members out of all the gun owners in the US. I would say, join a gun rights organization, every member helps in the long run as the groups will often work together. The bigger the number of memebers the less likely the politicans will mess with it.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links