Is There Any Reason NOT to join NRA?

This is a discussion on Is There Any Reason NOT to join NRA? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The NRA has been around for longer then any other gun rights orginization. They do far more then Lobby for gunrights. They have many shooting ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Is There Any Reason NOT to join NRA?

The NRA has been around for longer then any other gun rights orginization.
    They do far more then Lobby for gunrights. They have many shooting programs, various magazines, A web sight that always has good info on as well as NRA news radio. If you don't want the mailings sent to you give them to someone who is not a member and urge them to join. When all the other Gun Groups do as much as the NRA or more then maybe I will drop out. Since that is not likely to happen I plan on being a member of the NRA till the day I die.

2. Remove Ads

The reason they only have 4 million members, IMHO, is because they put out such a crappy magazine for the entire decade of the '90's.
    I tried to get interested but every article seemed to be about Grandpa Joe's Spitoon Bustin Black Powder Musket.

They've changed a LOT between then and now.
    Now American Rifleman is one of my favs, and American Hunter's pretty good too.
    [I]They make a desert and call it peace - Calgacus
    We're all just a bunch of Right Wing Racist Republican Homophobes - Rush L.

Ive put it off for the last year and finally signed up this week. Theres really no reason not to. $25 for a year is cheap for an organization of that size to stand behind you. There was also some sort of petition included for me to sign for my state. Whether or not it will ever be seen by anyone I dont know, but its was a good enough reason for me. Plus Im sure I will use a few of the discounts offered for being a member.

you get free $5,000 accidental death insurance and $1000 arms care benefits(if you lose your gun or it's stolen). plus, i just got this pamphlet for life insurance, i can pay $4 a month and receive $50,000 in life insurance. sounds like a decent deal to me.
    "When the people fear the government you have tyranny...when the government fears the people you have liberty."
    -Thomas Jefferson

2 Chronicles 7:14

Are your Spouses, Kids, Uncles, Aunts, etc members of the NRA ?

Christmas Gift for $25 for the them NRA membership.

Call the NRA "LIFE" membership - I am told they are now running special LIFE memberships at reduced cost and LIFE members can do reduce cost upgrades to Endownment, Patron, and Benefactor !

For $10 can join the NRA but not receive a NRA magazine.

Agree no excuse for any gun owner not to be a member including their family members of the NRA "and" GOA "and" SAF "and" SAS.

Life member here. They do all sorts of work legislatively and submit briefs like in the Heller case. They deserve our support.
    "To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them."
    George Mason

"Gun control is a job-safety program for criminals."
    John R. Lott

Every gun owner should belong to the NRA, period!!! If you also want to support GOA or any of the other pro-gun rights organizations, then great but, regardless of their public stance, NO other pro-gun organization has, or will probably ever have, the political clout of the NRA.

Do I like the incessant phone calls and junk mail? No. But I can promise this -- if the mailings and phone calls didn't bring in MORE revenue than their cost, the NRA wouldn't be doing it. I have to believe that the NRA has determined that the cost of these mailings generate much more revenue than they would save by not doing them.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I havn't recieved any NRA junk mail in about 4 days...(I hope everythings alright up there) Despite it though, it's such a small price to pay for what they do for us. I got an offer from them for some pd videos done for them by Valhalla. Good stuff. Yes, I have to wade through a lot of crap, but again...it's a small price to pay. They swing a pretty big stick in Washington.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Did you all see this?

NRA-ILA :: Ammo Ban And Registration Proposal Getting Fresh Look

Look, it is a 12/12/2008 announcement about ammunition accountability, encoded, etc. This stuff is being pushed in 18 states. Wow, is this news? Oh wait, the information is several weeks old, but the NRA is just now getting around to bringing it to their people. How can the NRA be scooped on something this big and this public and scooped by several weeks? This is stuff we have been discussing here for 3 weeks and yet the NRA is just getting to it.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Hmmm, Im torn on the NRA. Our local grass roots folks have certain issues with them though Im not sure what. From what I gather, the NRA continues to compromise on our rights leaning towards the hunting and target practice deal.

Briefs? So what? Our local organization wrote a brief for Heller too.

So Im gonna throw it out there....If you believe that strongly in the NRA, then step up and pay my membership this year, or better yet the discounted lifetime.

Im joining my local Grass Roots org and even though I have a problem with them in some ways, I feel they better represent me.

I quit supporting the NRA back when in my opinion they went belly up on the machine gun issue. They seemed to have the idea back then that they could best protect our rights by compromise.

I hope they have finally realised that compromise is just a more graduale way to give something away.
    That said I just sent in my check to become a lifetime member.

Michael

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post

So Im gonna throw it out there....If you believe that strongly in the NRA, then step up and pay my membership this year, or better yet the discounted lifetime.

Im joining my local Grass Roots org and even though I have a problem with them in some ways, I feel they better represent me.
    If you feel that your local grassroots does a better job representing you in Washington, why would anybody should pay for your NRA membership?

It seems to me lots of people are looking for freebies all of the sudden around here.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    Did you all see this?

NRA-ILA :: Ammo Ban And Registration Proposal Getting Fresh Look

Look, it is a 12/12/2008 announcement about ammunition accountability, encoded, etc. This stuff is being pushed in 18 states. Wow, is this news? Oh wait, the information is several weeks old, but the NRA is just now getting around to bringing it to their people. How can the NRA be scooped on something this big and this public and scooped by several weeks? This is stuff we have been discussing here for 3 weeks and yet the NRA is just getting to it.
    Chris W. Cox's Political Report, July 2005

"Now, this tired old restriction has received a 21st century makeover with a spiffy new name based in completely untested gee-whiz technology: "Bullet Serialization." Politicians in one of our states are falling over themselves to jump on the bandwagon and mandate bullet serialization for every single round of ammunition sold in their state. Where? I'm betting it won't take you long to guess California, and you'd be correct."
    I guess you were too busy badmouthing the NRA to notice that item 3 years ago. Those of us paying attention to the issues knew about microstamping since it came out thanks to the NRA newsletters and magazine.

Now folks, you don't like the NRA? Fine, keep it to yourself. You don't want to help us fight the incoming onslaught against our Second Amendment rights? Not so fine, but you've been ridding the coattails of NRA members so far and I guess you can keep doing that for a while longer. But what is irritating as heck is having to deal with the likes of Bradys, the media, the uninformed idiots out there that drink the VPC Kool Aid and then turn around and face gun owners that have no qualms in destroying the biggest gun we have Gun Grabbers for whatever petty & personal reason.

It is not so hard to understand why AHSA was so successful in selling themselves a pro-gun and Obama as respectful for the Second Amendment.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Now folks, you don't like the NRA? Fine, keep it to yourself.
    I think the OP asked what NOT to like about the NRA. As a moderator, you can lock the post. But I actually think the debate is good and good for the NRA. Always a fine line between debate and bashing...but lots of new members, smart members that can decide for themselves the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    ..............I guess you were too busy badmouthing the NRA to notice that item 3 years ago. Those of us paying attention to the issues knew about microstamping since it came out thanks to the NRA newsletters and magazine.

Now folks, you don't like the NRA? Fine, keep it to yourself. You don't want to help us fight the incoming onslaught against our Second Amendment rights? Not so fine, but you've been ridding the coattails of NRA members so far and I guess you can keep doing that for a while longer. But what is irritating as heck is having to deal with the likes of Bradys, the media, the uninformed idiots out there that drink the VPC Kool Aid and then turn around and face gun owners that have no qualms in destroying the biggest gun we have {against the} Gun Grabbers for whatever petty & personal reason...........
    Miggy -- Thank You. This petty nonsense of trying to find reasons to not join the NRA is just that, petty nonsense. This is the same kind of horse manure that I used to go through with my ex-brother-in-law. He couldn't see any reason that we needed black rifles and high capacity pistols so wouldn't join. No one was ever going to come after his shotgun (semi-auto) or his deer rifle (semi-auto). It was only after the fiasco in Australia in the mid 90's that he realized it could happen and joined.

Through Dillon Precision, you can join the NRA for $25.00 for the first year. That's less than a quality box of 45ACP hollow points. I have no doubt that the next 4 years are going to see the largest assault on our gun rights in history. If you go ahead and join the NRA and I'm wrong, what are you out -- $35.00 per yr. for 4 years ($2.92 per month). But if I'm right and you DON'T join, do you really want to think about the consequences. It's entirely possible that even with 20 million members, the NRA may not be able to prevent the degradation of our rights. But if they can't, who else? Yes, there are some other good organizations out there but they do not now nor will they ever have the political clout of the NRA. Your local grassroots organization may have great success in dealing with local politics but they will never influence a President or Congress as a whole. Only a national organization with a huge membership is going to do that and right now, that's the NRA.

If you insist on not joining the NRA, then fine. As Miggy said, you can continue to ride on the coattails of the NRA membership. If the NRA is successful in defending our rights, you can pat yourself on the back and be secure in the knowledge that they didn't really need you. If they're unsuccessful well, as the song goes, "it's too late to turn back now"

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

In the courts, I can't think of many organizations that have done better defending and protecting my rights and 2A views.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    ...I actually think the debate is good and good for the NRA. Always a fine line between debate and bashing...
    Hopeful not to be seen as bashing the NRA, but one aspect of the organization is becoming a one party political supporter. Candidate A is anti-gun. Candidate B is luke-warm gun. So pro-gun supports Candidate B. Thats just the way things are concerning many issues and organizations. Sometimes the result is the gun-vote is being taken for granite as already in one side of the column (thus, an after election bargaining / compromise coin).

Quote Originally Posted by AllAmerican View Post
    ...Im joining my local Grass Roots org and even though I have a problem with them in some ways, I feel they better represent me.
    IMO, few donations to a national organization equal getting your hands dirty, and doing something at the grass roots level. Some may argue the NRA is a grass roots org. I guess it is, if you are doing more then sending in a $25 - $35 membership / donation.

As far as national gun right protection organizations, if you want to be keep up to date on the issues, get a good mag, and other nice benefits, you can't go wrong with the NRA.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links