Is There Any Reason NOT to join NRA? - Page 5

Is There Any Reason NOT to join NRA?

This is a discussion on Is There Any Reason NOT to join NRA? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Miggy I guess you were too busy badmouthing the NRA to notice that item 3 years ago. Those of us paying attention ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 102
  1. #61
    VIP Member Array SammyIamToday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    I guess you were too busy badmouthing the NRA to notice that item 3 years ago. Those of us paying attention to the issues knew about microstamping since it came out thanks to the NRA newsletters and magazine.
    The legislative process works in sessions. If they were on point 3 years ago, it doesn't necessarily mean they are on-point now on current legislation. Not taking a stance either way in this thread because it's not worth the effort to critique any pro-2A group on a gun forum. They all try to do good things and ultimately that's all that matters. Whether or not you want to contribute to groups financially is an individual choice.

    With that said, let's be intelletucally honest on points. 2005 and 2008 are different animals from a legislation standpoint.

    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I think the OP asked what NOT to like about the NRA. As a moderator, you can lock the post. But I actually think the debate is good and good for the NRA. Always a fine line between debate and bashing...but lots of new members, smart members that can decide for themselves the good, the bad, and the ugly.

    Rick
    Great post.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller


  2. #62
    Senior Member Array DPro.40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    611
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Preaching to the choir or keeping us informed?
    The NRA is a lobbying tool if you want to see it that way. We need a big one in Washington and I admit that their mailings can get annoying at times but they are NEVER a reason to quit and mess with the rest of us.

    I forget where I heard that 12 million Americans say they belong to the NRA but we only have 4 million paying members. I do think we need to keep preaching to the Choir 'cause it seems there is a lot of them asleep at the back of the church.
    I agree Miggy. We are not close enough to the action to see how deep the oppositions pockets are and what it really takes to maintain a voice. Trolling for funds is necessary. Those who see it as important, donate. Those that don't, throw out the solicitations. I thought it was because I donated over and above my membership fees as the reason for the continued mailings. I believe one could question receiving a renewal notice for membership after just renewing the year before or wanting us participate in a poll on the important issues and ask for a donation at the same time. We know whats important. I think an effort to expand the memberships to others that don't belong or understand the opposition's efforts may be a more effective tool. Then again, what tool do you use...mailings? Most everyone has the Internet, how about advertising on everyones home screen. That doesn't seam to bother anyone. I have all kind of junk on mine. You just cant please everyone.
    Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.
    Ronald Reagan

  3. #63
    VIP Member
    Array Miggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Miami-Dade, FL
    Posts
    6,258
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    The legislative process works in sessions. If they were on point 3 years ago, it doesn't necessarily mean they are on-point now on current legislation. Not taking a stance either way in this thread because it's not worth the effort to critique any pro-2A group on a gun forum. They all try to do good things and ultimately that's all that matters. Whether or not you want to contribute to groups financially is an individual choice.

    With that said, let's be intelletucally honest on points. 2005 and 2008 are different animals from a legislation standpoint.



    Great post.
    If you go to the NRA ILA site, you will find 46 documents when you search for Ammunition Serialization spanning from 2005 to the present. For Microstamping you will find 40 documents also from 2005 to 2008. And NRA ILA only deals with Legislative issues.

    At the NRA website when you enter the term microstamping, you get the maximum 200 documents and are asked to refine your search due to too many results. So there is a concerted and timely effort by the NRA to address and inform us about the issue. Some people do not know this or choose to ignore it.

    IMHO Some are trying to portray the NRA as a Sleeping At The Switch group that is not doing its job and that is a gross mis-characterization so I must step in and correct the record and stand for what is right. That they are not perfect is right, but neither is my wife but I still stay with her till I die.
    I posted somewhere else that there are pro-gun groups that I would have nothing to do with them but I will not throw them under a bus because I disagree with what they do or act. Every vote counts in our fight and I will not detract from anybody else or have my comments be used by the opposition as ammunition against the Second Amendment.

    Discussion is fine and I agree with it. But some people have this idea that the NRA is an all powerful organization that will swoop from the skies (with cape & tights), battle the forces of evil and restore the Second Amendment before the last commercial break so they shouldn't have to lift a finger plus the NRA must fix whatever their little hearts desire. But WE all are The NRA and just because I got my membership, I am not gonna sit back and let somebody else do my job. I will contact (pester) my representatives, contact the media every time they portray us a dangerous nutjobs, talk to people to clear their misconceptions and introduce new people to shooting.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

    Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

  4. #64
    New Member Array Eurekaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    North Little Rock, AR
    Posts
    7
    The NRA is a bad choice. Join the GOA (Gun owners of America). The NRA compromises on our 2nd amendment rights. They praise otherwise, but they agree with anti-gunners in Congress on certain issues. In other words, in the end, the NRA agrees with 'common sense gun control'. The GOA does not, nor myself. The GOA gets my money and support, the NRA does not. Look into it.

  5. #65
    VIP Member Array SammyIamToday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    If you go to the NRA ILA site, you will find 46 documents when you search for Ammunition Serialization spanning from 2005 to the present. For Microstamping you will find 40 documents also from 2005 to 2008. And NRA ILA only deals with Legislative issues.

    At the NRA website when you enter the term microstamping, you get the maximum 200 documents and are asked to refine your search due to too many results. So there is a concerted and timely effort by the NRA to address and inform us about the issue. Some people do not know this or choose to ignore it.

    IMHO Some are trying to portray the NRA as a Sleeping At The Switch group that is not doing its job and that is a gross mis-characterization so I must step in and correct the record and stand for what is right. That they are not perfect is right, but neither is my wife but I still stay with her till I die.
    I posted somewhere else that there are pro-gun groups that I would have nothing to do with them but I will not throw them under a bus because I disagree with what they do or act. Every vote counts in our fight and I will not detract from anybody else or have my comments be used by the opposition as ammunition against the Second Amendment.

    Discussion is fine and I agree with it. But some people have this idea that the NRA is an all powerful organization that will swoop from the skies (with cape & tights), battle the forces of evil and restore the Second Amendment before the last commercial break so they shouldn't have to lift a finger plus the NRA must fix whatever their little hearts desire. But WE all are The NRA and just because I got my membership, I am not gonna sit back and let somebody else do my job. I will contact (pester) my representatives, contact the media every time they portray us a dangerous nutjobs, talk to people to clear their misconceptions and introduce new people to shooting.
    I believe the critcism was that they were too slow on the newest round of legislation trying to do some sort of ban on ammunition. Thus the 2005 till now is really irrelevant. So, really the argument boils down to one thing. Is being a couple weeks behind the firearms forums of the Internet too slow for them or not? I'm sure it wouldn't hurt them to be faster on reporting things like this, but then again legislation usually moves at a pretty slow rate, so perhaps it doesn't matter. Probably 6 one way and a half a dozen the other in the grand scheme of things.

    However, whether or not that is an argument for or against someone justifying whether or not they want to purchase membership is an individual thing. I don't believe in this solidarity that we're all the NRA because we like firearms. I'm part of the NRA because at present time I feel that they do a good enough job to warrant my 35 dollars (or whatever it is) a year. If what they offer me as a member isn't worth that, I will stop belonging. While they have a pretty darn good history of helping out the 2A fight, that doesn't get them a blanket pass from me. And it shouldn't bring criticism on anyone else that decides they aren't right for them.

    Unless they are one of the folks that isn't active and just expects the NRA to do it for them, but I think that's probably less people (I hope) than is hinted at in this thread.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

  6. #66
    VIP Member
    Array Miggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Miami-Dade, FL
    Posts
    6,258
    And it shouldn't bring criticism on anyone else that decides they aren't right for them.
    How come not? Are they allowed some special immunity that I am not aware of?

    You know... never mind. Some people are willing to cut the nose to spite the face and there is nothing anyone can do to change their minds. Go on and badmouth the NRA, sabotage fundraisings, go on TV against them. The opposition will thank you deeply.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

    Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

  7. #67
    Distinguished Member Array GWRedDragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    1,413
    The way I see it, there is no reason not to be a 'member' of every pro-gun organization you can find.

    On the other hand, if I ever have extra money I want to donate, it will go to the ones that compromise my principles the least.
    "Trust in God with hand on sword" -Inscription on my family's coat of arms from medieval England
    ---Carry options: G26/MTAC, PF9/MiniTuck, PPK/Pocket, USP40/OWB---
    ---NOTE: I am not an expert. If I ever start acting like a know-it-all, please call me on it immediately. ---

  8. #68
    VIP Member Array SammyIamToday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    How come not? Are they allowed some special immunity that I am not aware of?

    You know... never mind. Some people are willing to cut the nose to spite the face and there is nothing anyone can do to change their minds. Go on and badmouth the NRA, sabotage fundraisings, go on TV against them. The opposition will thank you deeply.
    I dunno, maybe because this country is all about individual freedoms and choices. I don't judge other people for doing what they think is right. Try and persuade them sure. Treat them like a pariah because they don't want to spend their own hard earned money on an organization that they don't think represents their interests, hell no.

    If it's someone that does absolutely nothing to support the rights of something they believe in you have a point. If it's someone that doesn't support the NRA for whatever reason, but is still politically active good on them.

    And treating people like that is no way to get the NRA more members either. Make a case for the NRA with facts and logical reasons why being a member is good. Not treating people like they are stupid for not already being members. That will just turn them away.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

  9. #69
    VIP Member
    Array Miggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Miami-Dade, FL
    Posts
    6,258
    Sammy, the sad truth is that without the NRA we would trying to figure out how to avoid the upcoming ban on pointy knives and canes, much like England and Australia are doing right now.

    And don't get me started on those gun groups and their followers who bump their fists against their chest and bellow "We don't compromise! Down with the NRA" but have no achieved one solitary gain for our rights. You go to their websites and see how deluded they are telling you stories on how they faced the evil hordes in New Orleans and single handily convinced SCOTUS to go in favor of Heller.

    So yes, I will criticize them because they are full of it and they've been ridding on the coat tails of the NRA and other groups that put up an exemplary fight and have actually achieved something and not filling self grandiose balloons with hot air.

    We are not in times of scholarly debates. We are about to commence a knife fight inside a phone booth for the Second Amendment. Pretty please simply will not make it.
    Last edited by Miggy; December 16th, 2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: adding stuff
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

    Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

  10. #70
    Senior Member Array Fast Cloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Gulfstream
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by SammyIamToday View Post
    Treat them like a pariah because they don't want to spend their own hard earned money on an organization that they don't think represents their interests, hell no.
    But isn't this exactly what GOA does by constantly bashing the NRA as a bunch of compromisers?? I seldom here two words together from them or any of their members that arn't bashing the NRA. Also, they tend to be so radical that they're almost considered a joke by congress. Fully automatic weapons for everyone?? Do be serious.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

    NRA member

  11. #71
    VIP Member Array SammyIamToday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,087
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Sammy, the sad truth is that without the NRA we would trying to figure out how to avoid the upcoming ban on pointy knives and canes, much like England and Australia are doing right now.
    I don't know that I agree with that. Neither of those countries ever stipulated arms ownership in their Constitutions. Apples and Oranges comparison at best. And you could easily make the argument that the NRA should have stopped the National Firearms Act and the National Gun Control Act as well. I don't because that would be foolish. The same way it is saying they have done everything.

    I'm just not naive enough to lay all victories and/or defeats at the feet of the NRA.

    And don't get me started on those gun groups and their followers who bump their fists against their chest and bellow "We don't compromise! Down with the NRA" but have no achieved one solitary gain for our rights. You go to their websites and see how deluded they are telling you stories on how they faced the evil hordes in New Orleans and single handily convinced SCOTUS to go in favor of Heller.
    Where does this idea that if you're not blindly supporting the NRA you must be one of the GoA negative nutjobs (not all GoA members are by any means) come from? I haven't said anything about any group other than the NRA until this post.

    And if you want to be honest, the Heller case was not championed and put up by the NRA, so laying all victories at their feet is a little intellectually dishonest at best. They were against Heller because they didn't feel the waters were right. Thankfully they took up other lawsuits after the ruling came down! The NRA is a greatly helpful lobby group. That's where I leave it.

    Much more than their political activities, I'm thankful the NRA tries so hard to impart marksmanship and responsible firearms ownership to citizens of America. That's more help than any of the political action stuff anyday.


    So yes, I will criticize them because they are full of it and they've been ridding on the coat tails of the NRA and other groups that put up an exemplary fight and have actually achieved something and not filling self grandiose balloons with hot air.
    I guess this would make sense if I had pigeon holed the NRA into the do everything group that it is not. Fact of the matter is the NRA has a lot of clout, but it is not the be-all end-all of 2A matters. And no, I'm not talking about other groups, I'm talking about constituients talking to their respective Congressmen.

    We are not in times of scholarly debates. We are about to commence a knife fight inside a phone booth for the Second Amendment. Pretty please simply will not make it.
    By all means continue putting gun owners off by spitting at them instead of trying to make them understand reason. Attitudes like this make me not want to renew my NRA membership and anyone that thinks I'm not committed and active in the 2A fight can jump off a building for all I care. As the old saying goes you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar. I think that might be scientifically wrong, but the saying still makes sense when referring to people.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Cloud View Post
    But isn't this exactly what GOA does by constantly bashing the NRA as a bunch of compromisers?? I seldom here two words together from them or any of their members that arn't bashing the NRA. Also, they tend to be so radical that they're almost considered a joke by congress. Fully automatic weapons for everyone?? Do be serious.
    Bit of a straw man argument as I never mentioned anything about the GoA. And yes, their negative based recruiting tactics are stupid. They would have far more success sticking by the facts like the Second Amendment Foundation. Who no one says anything negative about to my knowledge. Now, obviously before someone kneejerks a response off about them being small, they are small. And they don't have the clout of the NRA. Neither am I selling them as an alternative to the NRA either.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

  12. #72
    Member Array brianko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    88
    I tried to re-join the NRA a few weeks back, and was actually discouraged from doing so by an NRA director!

    Here's the short version:

    After several years of GOA membership (at the time I switched from NRA to GOA, I was an NRA member but thought their rhetoric and personal attacks were getting out of hand), I decided this year to consider joining the NRA again. I won't mention any names (won't be hard to figure out), but a prominent director on the NRA board that runs a Texas-based CHL forum decided that my questions about the NRA weren't suitable for his forum. And, despite his personal invitation to pursue debate about the NRA's support of HR2640, their non-support of David Olofson, and LaPierre's compensation, he decided after reviewing my carefully-researched positions on the topics that he didn't want to debate the issues with me after all.

    I have this NRA director to thank for cutting two checks a few weeks back: One for a life membership to the GOA, and an annual membership to the JPFO. I could not, in good conscience, send money to an organization that can't even find directors willing to answer for the actions of the organization.
    A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves. --E. Murrow
    Pro-2A, anti-NRA, GOA life member, JPFO

  13. #73
    VIP Member
    Array Miggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Miami-Dade, FL
    Posts
    6,258
    Where does this idea that if you're not blindly supporting the NRA you must be one of the GoA negative nutjobs (not all GoA members are by any means) come from? I haven't said anything about any group other than the NRA until this post.
    I never mentioned GOA. You assumed it somehow and there must be a reason or a dose of guilt to come up with that asseveration.

    And if you want to be honest, the Heller case was not championed and put up by the NRA, so laying all victories at their feet is a little intellectually dishonest at best. They were against Heller because they didn't feel the waters were right. Thankfully they took up other lawsuits after the ruling came down! The NRA is a greatly helpful lobby group. That's where I leave it.
    Again you are reading something I did not write and I have no idea how you came up with that. Heller was initially undertaken by SAF and then supported by the NRA (I belong to both organizations if you must know) once it was demonstrated that the plaintiffs in the case were the type that would help our cause.

    Two points I want to add: 1) We need to compare memberships as in related to numbers. Politicians in Washington just like a businessman will cater to the the biggest amount of customers for the same reason: buying power. In one case is income and the other case is votes. One group whose lobby can present a membership of millions will yield more influence that another group that only carries thousands. It is that simple. 2) The No Compromise stance, while laudable is illusory and naive in the face of the immense opposition we face. If we try to insert the proverbial camel at once under the tent, we will be rejected outright but if we first insert a nostril, then another and slowly we keep pushing, the camel will eventually will be fully inside. So far form what I've seen in real achievements by the No Compromise groups is No Gains for our cause. 25 years ago the idea that a citizen of Florida would obtain a state wide concealed permit by just demonstrating he was a good guy was laughable. Today it is not only the norm but it has been expanded in its capabilities and poured outside its border to other states. Three years ago we risked our jobs if we kept a firearm in our vehicles. A "compromise" was obtained and CCWers can have their guns now. That I would like to see all law abiding citizens keep gun in their vehicles? yes! But the No Compromise stance would assured us that NOBODY would be able to. The fight isn't over yet and I know this issue will be revisited.
    Last edited by Miggy; December 23rd, 2008 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Adding other thoughts
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

    Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

  14. #74
    Senior Moderator
    Array HotGuns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,917
    Good post Miggy.

    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.


    AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

  15. #75
    Ex Member Array jahwarrior72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    the raggedy edge
    Posts
    1,438
    heh. the NRA has a bazillion $$ to throw around to fight for gun rights, and their strategy has always been compromise. don't forget they they joined in on the Heller case, after a non-gun owning eccentric rich guy decided to fund the case with his own money. they provided little in the way of a legal fund. do you really think they care about the single working mom from Hazleton, PA, who carries a used .38 Special in her purse? if i were to pick an organization to donate money to, it wouldn't be the NRA.

    yes, the NRA has much for gun owners. but what has it really done for the 2A? sport shooting and hunting have nothing to do with that, and that, it seems, is the primary concern of the NRA. it also seems that they didn't jump on the Obama hating bandwagon until it was revealed he wanted to ban most hunting caliber ammunition. they didn't say boo when he voted to restrict carry rights, and other issues that effect self defense. yeah, the NRA came late to the game on those issues. it's nice that they now recognize that what bad for us is bad for hunters, too, but too little, too late.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Come Join The FUN!
    By TRICKORMATE in forum Off Topic & Humor Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: April 10th, 2009, 10:29 AM
  2. NRA opinions please, should i join?
    By 40S&WMAN in forum Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: March 15th, 2007, 12:00 PM
  3. Join The Nra
    By DOGOFWAR01 in forum The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: March 12th, 2007, 01:53 PM

Search tags for this page

is there any reason to join nra
,
not join nra
,
reason not t ojoin nra
,
reason not to join nra
,
reasons join nra
,
reasons not join nra
,

reasons not to join nra

,

reasons not to join the nra

,
reasons not too join the nra
,

reasons to join nra

,

reasons to join the nra

,
reasons to not join the nra
,
why not join nra
,
why not to join nra
,
why you shouldnt join nra
Click on a term to search for related topics.

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» DefensiveCarry Sponsors