Defensive Carry banner

Media lies / "gun show loophole" exempts FFLs

1K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Fast Cloud 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I sent this guy an email correcting his errors. Also sent to the editor in case it was their fault. Rrrrrr... this stuff really ticks me off. My response to the author at bottom. Feel free to "reinforce" my outrage. If enough of us make reasoned responses to this drivel, we may start getting through the skull and into the gray matter...

Limited gun-show measure could pass, legislator says | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

Limited gun-show measure could pass, legislator says
Posted to: News Virginia

By Tim McGlone
The Virginian-Pilot
© December 10, 2008

RICHMOND

An effort to close the so-called gun show loophole once again appears doomed in the 2009 General Assembly, but a senior member of the Virginia State Crime Commission said Tuesday that a less restrictive voluntary background check might get broad bipartisan support.

After hearing tearful pleas by survivors and family members of the victims of the Virginia Tech massacre, commission Chairman David Albo refused to allow a colleague's motion recommending legislation that would require mandatory criminal and mental-health background checks at gun shows.

"That's my ruling. I'm the boss," Albo said, to laughs, ending two hours of debate and testimony.

Gun rights advocates, several armed at the waist, turned out in about equal numbers to the gun-control activists and urged commission members not to fall for the "red herring" of the Tech tragedy. The shooter, who killed 32 people and wounded 17 more April 16, 2007, before killing himself, did not buy his firearms at a gun show.

Albo, a Republican legislator from Springfield, assured those in the room that he would take up the issue again at the commission's next meeting, just before the January start of the General Assembly.

Vice Chairman and state Sen. Kenneth Stolle said during a break that the commission would probably approve a strict background-check requirement at gun shows - something he does not support - but to survive the recommendation would need majority support from members of both parties on the commission.

"That's not going to happen," said Stolle, R-Virginia Beach.

Albo and Stolle both floated the idea of having a state trooper stationed at each gun show with a computer available to conduct voluntary background checks for a gun purchases. A State Police representative said that could be done if it's funded.

"That may pass," Stolle said.

Virginia is one of 35 states that do not require criminal and mental-health background checks for firearms purchases at gun shows. However, federally licensed firearms dealers are free to conduct background checks at gun shows and they often do, the gun-rights advocates said.

Federal law mandates that those same dealers conduct background checks for all firearms sales at their stores.

At Tuesday's meeting, the Tech survivors and family members lined the front rows of the commission meeting room.

"Are you really willing to take the chance that the next mass killing might come from someone who buys a gun at a gun show?" asked Lori Haas of Richmond, whose daughter Emily was wounded in the attack.

Lily Habtu, who was shot in the face at Tech, described through tears her injuries and recovery. When Habtu and her family moved here from Africa to escape war, she said, they never envisioned becoming victims of the same kind violence they saw in their homeland.

"So where is the freedom to go to school without it being your last lesson?" she asked.

Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, called the Tech argument a "red herring."

"Nothing that happened at Virginia Tech had anything to do with gun shows," he said.

Tim McGlone, (757) 446-2343, tim.mcglone@pilotonline.com

Editor: denis.finley@pilotonline.com

Director of News Operations: dave.word@pilotonline.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mr. McGlone,

Your article contains the following two paragraphs:

"Virginia is one of 35 states that do not require criminal and mental-health background checks for firearms purchases at gun shows. However, federally licensed firearms dealers are free to conduct background checks at gun shows and they often do, the gun-rights advocates said."

"Federal law mandates that those same dealers conduct background checks for all firearms sales at their stores."

Sir, these statements are a complete misrepresentation of the facts. FFL dealers are required by law to do background checks on all purchasers. There is no exception for gun show attendees. I challenge you to cite any law that allows this.

Please get your facts straight before your stories go to print. This topic is up for debate in the General Assembly next year. Citizens and legislators do not need falsehoods in the press that would improperly shape their perceptions on this, or any other matter.

I am also forwarding this email to the Editor and Director in case your words were altered by the newspaper staff.

A note to Mr. Word and Mr. Finley:

Many readers of your publication are not stupid. We know fact from fiction, and are more than happy to pass that knowledge around. Inaccuracies and untruths in print are not shortly forgotten.In this case, your establishment has committed a serious error.

If your Constitutionally protected enterprise were as well regulated as Second Amendment activities are, a pen-and-paper version of the ATF would be there right now, confiscating all your equipment, padlocking the doors, and carting you all of to jail. I suggest you remember your imperative to the truth, and renew your commitment to it.

Thank you,

See less See more
#2 ·
Good Response

I am afarid that the sheep at large will not understand the difference between a FFL and a private collection though.

But we should keep trying to educate them like you did with your very well thought out response

#3 ·
Amen, Brother! outstanding letter, keep up the good work.

#5 ·
Well written letter. I have a feeling though you will not hear back from any of them, after all, you are using facts and the truth. With 99.9% of the media that is unconstitutional!

#8 ·
Looks like 35% of his facts where made up on the spot too.

He just simply printing a mistake here, but he is deliberately making up facts (like 35 states) that don't even exist to support his lie. This goes beyond simple mistakes. This is deliberate deception of a magnitude that should get him fired on the spot.

#9 ·
Nice job on the letter. Writing to correct misstatements of fact is very important. :thanks:

#10 ·
Excellent letter. Anytime that 2A lies are told, they need to get some feedback like you did. If these media types never hear any feedback then their lies only get larger and more outrageous.

Sending a letter and letting them know they lied is like saying to them......... "GOTCHA"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.